Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
===========================
By Dirck J. Edge

No, this is not a story about cruisers. It is about sport bikes.

It is beyond rumor that Ducati, KTM, Aprilia and others will soon have sport v-twins approaching 1200cc on the market. This is in direct response to the success of the Japanese 1000cc four-cylinder superbikes. These larger displacement v-twin sport machines will go into production whether superbike rules are amended to allow them to race agains the Japanese 1000s or not.

Peak horsepower from these mega-twins should approach that of the Japanese 1000cc fours. Torque, however, should exceed that of the Japanese bikes. These should be interesting, highly entertaining machines.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sounds like fun...I love the sound of a big v-twin superbike.:) Might have to pick one up in the next couple years...

Any link to any of this info?

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,894 Posts
There's been rumors of a Ducati 1198 floating around for a while, and raptors and rockets had photos up (but raptors and rockets is the tabloid of the motorcycle world). Good news for me is that if they do come out with their 1198 next year, it'll drop the resale prices of the 999 right around the time that I'll be looking to buy. =)

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
yeah i cant wait to see what next year brings though i am sure they will be very late model realeses...

The big question i am wondering is what will redline be?
as my RC51 is 10,200rpm and dont the apprillia milles go out to 11,400rpm
and no clue on the ducatis...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
Good news for me is that if they do come out with their 1198 next year, it'll drop the resale prices of the 999 right around the time that I'll be looking to buy. =)
keep an eye out for the price drop when the desmosedici RR comes to the floors at major dealers...i don't think duc is making more than about 400 a year or so, but there are bound to be a few 999Rs floating about when it shows up...worse comes to worse, step up to the most gorgeous bike ducati has ever built....the beautiful, the almighty, the timeless, the banana-like perfection of the 749R!!!

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
if the 999R wasnt so damn thin and long,,,,it just doesnt feel comfortable for me, i would have bought one by now..or WOULD be buying a 999R....

I never would of thought i would buy a 2#,*** dollar bike but now i am totally willing to...call me crazy, the Xerox 999R is the most gorgeous bike out there...just doesn fit me for shit

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by crjbeez

keep an eye out for the price drop when the desmosedici RR comes to the floors at major dealers...i don't think duc is making more than about 400 a year or so, but there are bound to be a few 999Rs floating about when it shows up
sorry guys, every desmosedici for the U.S. was sold out within a week of pre-orders!! you might never see one on a showroom floor cause they'll all be in the garages of rich bikers.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Originally posted by GoTime

sorry guys, every desmosedici for the U.S. was sold out within a week of pre-orders!! you might never see one on a showroom floor cause they'll all be in the garages of rich bikers.
The collectors/gotta be the first on the block to have one always are willing to pay a premium to get them, but as I understand it from my Ducatisti friends there will me a model fun after this one of 400.

The collectors get tired of them after a couple of years then put them back on the market at a loss...check cycle trader and see some of the "collector bikes" of a few years ago that are now for sale..

Ducati just came out with a series of replica bikes of their WSB model and for some reason are priced less than a 999s.....

I like v twins but am not willing to put up with the service/expense schedules of Ducatis...a friend brought his 749s is for the 10,000 mile service. it cost him over a grand for new belts and adjustment.

But to me they are beautiful bikes....as an aside he was looking to buy one of the new Ducati retro bikes...I let him ride my zed 10....after the ride...now he is looking for a 999s to keep up:D
now he looking for a 999s

·
Registered
206 Posts
Peak horsepower from these mega-twins should approach that of the Japanese 1000cc fours. Torque, however, should exceed that of the Japanese bikes. These should be interesting, highly entertaining machines.
The engine torque exceeding the liter bikes won't matter. What will matter is how they produce power across the RPMs and what RPM they get up to. The higher the hp at any given speed, the higher the torque at the wheels at that speed, the faster it will accelerate.

So in other words, to compete they are going to have to weigh about the same, and if they rev half as high, they better be making the same power at half the RPMs. If the liter bikes are revving twice as high and making 80 hp at 6000 RPM, then the twins better be making 80 hp at 3000 RPM of this won't even be a contest.

·
Registered
193 Posts
yea it will, because anyone like me would love to get 1000cc I-4 power out of a v-twin power delivery. The peaky delivery is total crap and is almost stupid to even try to harness. My SV is a load more fun to ride than my zx6rr ever was, just because it doesnt surge, but its just there when you call upon it

·
Registered
191 Posts
Originally posted by xdbx
yea it will, because anyone like me would love to get 1000cc I-4 power out of a v-twin power delivery. The peaky delivery is total crap and is almost stupid to even try to harness. My SV is a load more fun to ride than my zx6rr ever was, just because it doesnt surge, but its just there when you call upon it
Have you ridden one of the late model in line liter bikes? My other ride is a TL1000...my 10 puts out more power and torque at any rpm than my TL does...they also put out power very linearly..which was the lone advantage a twin had over an inline.( and now with traction controll at the races it really doesn't matter) kawi totally redesigned the 06 10r to do this, as the 04 -5 was always known for the "big hit" when you went wot....I used to ride my friends 51 and always thought it acted more like an inline...didn't seem to come on til about 9 grand

all in all my TL is so sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo compared to the 10r it amazes me...

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Being an owner of one...The RC51 is the one of the worst V-Twins to compare against the I-4's...as it was ment to be a racebike and for people to beat the crap out of...it was only a starting point..
As anyone who really raced it, had to change almost evrything that came on the bike..it was totally overengineered (Heavy)for the street or normal track use...

It lacks serious mid-range and anything under 3,000rpm the bike is like it is misfiring..
So that gives you a 7000Rpm total spread, and if you deont remove the soft rev limiter it will pretty much not pull for crap over 9200rpm..

But you add a quality exhaust (Moriwaki,Sato) you get serious midrange, drop a tooth as geared for 208mph top speed? yeah right -1,+2 sprocket change...and do some free mods and then you are where the bike should be as a strating point..

Here is mine minus 45lbs of weight ...and looking to drop another 9lbs with wheels...wont be doing that with some forged wheels

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.