Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

The dreaded stuck ignition coil packs!

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  MFTZ13 
#1 ·
I've got the ever-present problem of the ignition coil packs not budging from my 2006 er6n. Have been using a good penetrating oil over the course of a week and still not budging. Have broken the top off the left one in the process and damaged the other. Replacing them doesn't bother me, as long as I can get them out!

Would piloting a drill hole and screwing down into it for leverage be an option? Or you I go straight to removing the cylinder cover and trying to pry them out from there?

Cheers in advance

#2 ·
If it's seized to the plug, removing the cover might not work that well. I'd try to wedge something (spray tube, pick, coat hanger, etc.) down between the cover and the boot to get the penetrating oil deeper into the hole. Do this in a few places and then see if you can get the boot to twist.

#3 ·
What Green said, although i think with valve cover off maybe the best way to go to pull them out as they stick out a fair bit, and you might pull them out with the cover (if it's stuck to the cover and not the plug) but you have to be extremely careful not to drop any rubble into the valvetrain. Other than that, it's honestly just wish you the best of luck lol

#13 ·
On this, if you get replacement plugs, get some from the newer Z650s or the Newer ER6s that don't have that stupid dumb cover in the middle. That cover is made out of steel, it rusts and expands causing the coils to jam in the head cover. The newer ones don't have this cover and instead have an aluminium body that's thin in that part, they are completely compatible, I run 2017 Z650 coils in my 2011 ER6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.