Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here sold a bike over the years and been terribly frustrated in the process? I purchased my bike back in October '09 and I had the deal closed in roughly 14 hours after making first contact. Now, I have it for sale on Craigslist and there just seems to be little action.

I've been working in the financial industry for over 8 years, so I understand the recession talk and individuals not having the money. I've had the bike for sale for 2 weeks and I've only been contacted for trades. One trade was for an '01 Cadillac Deville on 22" wheels. I'm a black male, but I hate huge gawdy wheels on anything. Next trade was straight up for a early to mid 90s Chevy S10. I'm not going to straight trade a bike that is worth easily $4500 for a truck that will be lucky to snag $2500 and still needs work.

I'll admit, I have my price set higher than it should be, but I've sold things before and if you put your lowest acceptable price, someone will offer lower. I do the same thing, because most people are either stretching to afford something, or they have the money, but just don't want to pay what it's worth.

Anyone else have funny stories or experiences of selling their bike?

·
Registered
176 Posts
bike sales

It must be the area you are in. I posted a daytona 675 on my local craigslist a month ago and was buried in offers within a week. I posted for 5200 and ended up with a bunch of offers in the 4000-4500 range. once I had 3 offers at 4500 and people walking away from 4800 I figured I'd found the actual value and sold it. I was a little surprised that the novelty of being a triumph did not elevate the value a little over the typical YZ600ZX-RCBIXXER crowd, but a bikes only worth what you can sell it for today.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've been offered a trade for a tool box and a couple tools. :squint:

I've been offered far less than my asking, and a little less than what I actually want.

You're absolutely right, too. Ask for more than you're looking to get, so when someone thinks they're talking you down, you get your real asking price.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Asking a trade for a tool box. It better have been a Matco. I am starting to think my area is a little dry on bike sales. When I bought this bike back in Oct '09, I was able to contact 4-5 different people who were selling '05-'06 zx6rs. Now, it seems that there's a good amount of gsxr's and I've seen one R6. Maybe people are going to dealers, so they can pay years on a bike that is overpriced for a reason, just so they can get into payments that are manageable. I tried to get my buddy to purchase my old bike, but he insisted on purchasing a new CBR. Problem for him is, when it comes time for maintenance he can't afford to do it properly, or he has a long waiting time table.

I've been selling on ebay for years and it either takes a while to sell at the price you want or every couple of weeks you knock it down till it's a price that you would take. This time around it just seems no one is biting and it's in the middle of summer.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm so much better at buying bikes & gear than selling them :)
I concur. I got an awesome deal on my Arai Tommy Gun helmet from a forum member. I can always catch a solid deal on gear or other things I may need or want.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
2 weeks is nothing IMO, I was offered tattoos/R1's and hald a dozen people loved it but had to wait for the next pay check. Patience, a good advert and a clean bike are what sells.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As mentioned, patience is the key. You mention that your price is set a little high with intentions to make a deal - but is is TOO high? I can imagine that turning people off without even bothering to haggle.

I put my bike on Craigslist a few years back and it didn't generate any interest at all. Maybe 2 e-mails in the first 2 weeks. Then BAM!! Someone wanted it, accepted my asking price, and had the title transferred that day.

On the other hand... I had my custom pickup for sale for months before I had to drop the price to a painful level... and then accept a lower offer too. :-(

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
As people have said
Could be your area, asking price, they don't like your hair, etc

At the end of the day though the only thing that matters is if you're lucky

GLWS OP

·
Registered
71 Posts
have you tried to post your bike outside your area...sometimes you have to look a little farther for that buyer...good luck

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just wait until you get the call from someone who will "have buyers for your type of vehicle." But wants a fee to put it on their website. I have it listed on a site that gets 8 6-8 million unique hits a day. I dont think yours will do any better. The same site they got my name from.

I havent had weird trade offers though. I specifically say No Trades for that very reason.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Yeah I didnt include the half dozen scammers who would pay more than I asked for to deliver it to Alabama....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wait until you get the call from someone who will "have buyers for your type of vehicle." But wants a fee to put it on their website. I have it listed on a site that gets 8 6-8 million unique hits a day. I dont think yours will do any better. The same site they got my name from.

I havent had weird trade offers though. I specifically say No Trades for that very reason.

That's a scam. I was called 3 years ago, when I was thinking about selling my Mazda. Same thing happened and I of course declined.

I did sell my Suzuki Bandit through Craigslist, but it took about 3 months and I sold it for $500 less than what I had it listed for. I have patience and I have more of it then I used too; however, I thought it would have more hits due to the riding season. It's currently mid to high 90s here now.

I guess one thing I'm surprised by the most is that I haven't even been hit with a lowball cash offer.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Hello my good friend, my name is Mubutu Imfume Kashishanzen. I deptuy Minister of Internal Affairs to his supreme exhaltedness the wonderful deposed King Jhubittio. We likes motorcycles very much in springtime when the tribal women make children. I am happily offered to you a sum of equal value of fine items which be exteremely useful for you day to day use. You would trade 5 goats, 17 bottles of imperial whiskey (taken from his wonderfullness King Jhubittio himself of his private stock), two baskets of grain and 3 sale women who can be joined to you as manwife? Good deal, you take? Eh? Please give me verified informations so I know who we dealing with on this most magnificent transaction. All his exhaltedness requires is your name, address where to send the 3 sale women to, bank account numbers and telephone number so we may contact you future time for deal making.

:D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello my good friend, my name is Mubutu Imfume Kashishanzen. I deptuy Minister of Internal Affairs to his supreme exhaltedness the wonderful deposed King Jhubittio. We likes motorcycles very much in springtime when the tribal women make children. I am happily offered to you a sum of equal value of fine items which be exteremely useful for you day to day use. You would trade 5 goats, 17 bottles of imperial whiskey (taken from his wonderfullness King Jhubittio himself of his private stock), two baskets of grain and 3 sale women who can be joined to you as manwife? Good deal, you take? Eh? Please give me verified informations so I know who we dealing with on this most magnificent transaction. All his exhaltedness requires is your name, address where to send the 3 sale women to, bank account numbers and telephone number so we may contact you future time for deal making.

:D
Haha. Too funny. Was approached 3 years ago by a username from Africa when I was selling my HP laptop. They love to target young, old, and dumb to take advantage of.

·
Registered
463 Posts
You may want to post it out side of your area. I sold a 02 Subaru WRX in pristine condition with all maintenance done. I had it for sale for 3 weeks locally and only had the bull shit trade offers. I listed it outside my area and had it sold 12 hours later for my asking price which was about $3k above what other people were selling wrx's for. I found the right guy that was willing to pay to have the right car. Expand your market base and you will get it sold.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Found your problem:

I'll admit, I have my price set higher than it should be
Rememeber the old adage - what your bike is worth to YOU is not the same thing as what the bike is worth in the real world on the open market. The only time I had a problem dumping a bike on CL is when I put the price at what *I* thought it was worth, and not what other similar bikes were priced out at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep have had this lovely experience sold 2 bike in the last 2 years 1 1996 Harley Sportster 2 years ago, 1 KTM 300 MXC 3 months ago, both of mine after being on craigslist for months (KTM for almost 9) and getting no calls at around tax return time I was overwhelmed with calls and got what I was asking for.
In the current economy most people have no discretionary cash and buying toy's just ain't happening till they can get a lump sum in their hands or it's an amazing deal they can't pass up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having issues selling your bike. On a diff note, we had a G-series plane land here to day from Algeria. I made the comment that maybe the "prince" was coming to drop the cash he owed me from Craigslist!

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Wow, two weeks for a second generation 636? Hmm. When I advertised my 05 GSXR1000 for sale I was bombarded with calls and texts within the first few hours, and sold it that evening. It all depends on the popularity of the vehicle, and I thing liter bikes are going a lot faster because of the ignorant people that buy bikes think the liter bike is the best thing, so they buy it. The guy that bought my GSXR 1000 had never ridden a liter bike before. He previously owned a GSXR600 and asked me what the difference in power was, to which I replied "night and day". He also tried to tell me that 13,000 miles was a lot for it until I said, "dude, it's 6 years old...do the math, that's a little over 2000 miles a year average".

Good luck, man. And good on you for setting the price a bit higher than you're willing to settle for. I hate ads that say "price is firm", especially when it's not worth what they want (sorry, chrome and polished crap doesn't add value).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts