Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been said over and over and noobs listen up! Where you ride and stop in your lane of travel can make the difference between life and death.

Yesterday as I was coming home on the free (Arizonan's - it was on the South 202) I had a very close call. Every day around 5:00pm this particular freeway comes to a dead stop in the exact same corner due to traffic coming in from another roadway and merging. For daily commuters this should come as no shock what so ever. In fact, in the morning the traffic comes to to dead stop on a different corner coming from the opposite direction.

Knowing that I was going to be coming to a dead stop on a freeway, I did what I always do...I stayed in the left lane and I moved to the very inside of that lane, nearly on the line (between middle and third lane). That way when the douchebag behind me fails to see that traffic has stopped in the same spot it does everyday, at least he/she could hit the shoulder.

Sure enough, I'm almost even with the bumper of the guy in front of me almost in the next lane over when I hear it and see it in my rear view mirror...a Ford F250 Super Duty in a full locked skid coming right at me. By the time this jackass stopped he was literally about 2 inches from the bumper of the car in front of me and only about 6 inches off to my left. Had I not moved to the far side of the lane when traffic stopped, I would be smashed into that car that was in front of me.

Lesson here? Be aware of where you are, be aware of the folks around you and leave others room to make mistakes!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go see if the bleach got all the poop out of my underwear!

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday morning...

Semi with locked brakes in front of me, me next to the semi, and a guy in a vette with locked tires coming at me (before I moved way over), and he stopped with his hood underthe semi's trailer. That dude was lucky, and I was luckier for paying attention to my mirrors.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday morning...

Semi with locked brakes in front of me, me next to the semi, and a guy in a vette with locked tires coming at me (before I moved way over), and he stopped with his hood underthe semi's trailer. That dude was lucky, and I was luckier for paying attention to my mirrors.
Probably one of the worst things to see as a rider...someone skidding towards you in your mirror.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
good advice man.
i ALWAYS ride in the left side of MY lane.
and when given the choice, i ride in the left lane also.

im always reading to shoot a few feet left to keep from being crushed by the NON PAYING ATTENTION jackasses behind me

·
Registered
28 Posts
I stop on one edge of the lane or the other, giving myself an out. Then, I watch my mirrors like a hawk until there's a car completely stopped behind me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I started splitting lanes in VERY slow moving traffic (legal in CA), so I bet this would help in a situation like this. Also, I'm constantly changing lane position depending on whether there's a vehicle to my left/right, depending on if it's a semi or a compact car, and I just try to take the path of least resistance which seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wow glad you are ok. It is very important to watch your lane and mirrors. I almost got rear ended yesterday by a Montero. Biatch locked her brakes and I swerved on to shoulder and braked. But then guy in front, for no reason moved on to shoulder in front of me! After we were stopped, the SUV was a few inches ahead of my rear tire. If she hit me, I would have flown into the cars in front. :/. I just looked at her, doubt she could see me with the tinted visor.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
wow, i'm always checkin the mirrors in the car, but i rarely do it on the bike especially at a stop... Guess i depend on people way too much to see me at the light & stop. Bike mirrors are just so hard to see anything behind me so i rarely even bother. I'd better pick up that habit.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I come from the land of the crazy cabbies and people that don't give a fuck about your life, NYC.

Let me tell you, I feel safer riding down the FDR than here on US-60.

Why?...speed.

These nutty Arizonians have 6 lane highways for which to impersonate their favorite nascar racer. It's that much more dangerous when you've got to do high speed maneuvers around nimwits with cellphones and ******* monster trucks than any 35mph death defying habibi cabbie.

but no matter where you are you've ALWAYS got to be of the mindset that EVERYONE is out to kill you. That mentality has (knock on wood) kept me free of get-offs for 6 years running.

be safe out there.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Oh yeah, I also try to flash my brakes when coming to a stop (if it's not an emergency/quick stop). I noticed some people start slowing down WAY back and creep up to me like they think there's something wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Oh yeah, I also try to flash my brakes when coming to a stop (if it's not an emergency/quick stop). I noticed some people start slowing down WAY back and creep up to me like they think there's something wrong.
I wired an ambulance's back off light module to my kawi.

Backoff lights are a great safety feature on a bike.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
thats the first thing my grandpa told me after i got my first bike. always give youself an out.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Another good thing to remember in moving traffic. If you are in a lane that is passing cars in the lane next to you then stay away from lane with cars being passed because you are coming up in their blind spot. If you are in a lane and cars are passing you in the lan next to you then it is safe to ride close to that lane because those cars are coming from behind and should see you if they aren't talking on their cell phone. This is all about position in your lane compared to what is happening around you.

If that makes sence.....

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Glad you're alright man. The thought of getting rear ended is pretty scary; whether it's on a bike or bed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad you're alright man. The thought of getting rear ended is pretty scary; whether it's on a bike or bed.
Haha; funny but true! Joking aside though, I find it incredible that these f**kers get from A to B alive, let alone in one piece. Drivers not paying attention, on their mobiles, whatever, always seem to take out someone else who is paying attention, then get away scot free themselves! It's just wrong...
Glad you had a happy ending and didn't get hurt, all this guy got was a shock and fright, and didn't get hurt himself... But it begs the question; did the guy learn from what happened, and how long will it be before they have another potentially fatal near miss / accident?

·
Registered
286 Posts
About 10 years ago i got rear-ended HARD in a scenario similar to above, only i was in a truck. It totalled out my truck and gimped me up pretty good. Since then, its has become OCD for me to watch the rear mirror everytime im stopped. It dont matter if im on a bike or in a cage. As soon as i come to a stop im like the fawkin rain-man watching the mirror... "its a red 98 Camry, a red 98 Camry... yea, a red 98 Camry about to hit me, red 98 Camry..."

·
Registered
734 Posts
About 10 years ago i got rear-ended HARD in a scenario similar to above, only i was in a truck. It totalled out my truck and gimped me up pretty good. Since then, its has become OCD for me to watch the rear mirror everytime im stopped. It dont matter if im on a bike or in a cage. As soon as i come to a stop im like the fawkin rain-man watching the mirror... "its a red 98 Camry, a red 98 Camry... yea, a red 98 Camry about to hit me, red 98 Camry..."
ROFL @ fkn rain man.

Yeah, it's habit for me now to check my mirrors at stop lights. I also never ride in people's blind spots, and try to stay in the right lane if I have a choice, because people check their right mirror/shoulder a lot more than their left.

Also, when I pass an intersection, I move right over in my lane away from it, if there's a car stopped there, and I suspect they haven't seen me.

I also get on the brakes a touch in anticipation. I also look for people's heads and reverse lights in parked cars, and cars sitting in driveways.

I'm sure there's more instinctive stuff I do that I can't remember, but EVERY day you have to work on forming and maintaining these habits. When you get sloppy and forget, is when you will likely need them most.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I come from the land of the crazy cabbies and people that don't give a fuck about your life, NYC.

Let me tell you, I feel safer riding down the FDR than here on US-60.

Why?...speed.

These nutty Arizonians have 6 lane highways for which to impersonate their favorite nascar racer. It's that much more dangerous when you've got to do high speed maneuvers around nimwits with cellphones and ******* monster trucks than any 35mph death defying habibi cabbie.

but no matter where you are you've ALWAYS got to be of the mindset that EVERYONE is out to kill you. That mentality has (knock on wood) kept me free of get-offs for 6 years running.

be safe out there.
:Laughing rolling: I find it pretty funny to hear someone from one of the craziest cities on Earth describing AZ highways. It was spot on btw!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts