Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
welcome to the board! try a search first for your oil question...you need to know if what kind(synthetic, etc.) oil to run also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just wanted to make my first post here now that I've lurked for a couple weeks. Just reading and learning as much as possible. So far this site has been a great help. I got my '03 Silver 636 a little over a month ago and love it to death. Now I just need more money for mods.[:p] Now for a few questions, hehe:

1. What type of oil would best suit my engine since I live in Florida and it is pretty damn hot for most of the year?

2. Looking at getting either a Micron Ti highmount or Yoshi RS3 Ti. Will the highmount compromise 2-up riding much? I like a deeper sounding exhaust, which from what I've read, Yoshi would be the way to go out of the two.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanx arturo... I did use the search but have come up with tons of differing opinions. I would guess that my requirements would be different for someone living in Canada. From what I'm reading, Mobile One 15w50 maybe???

One more thing... my bike is ready for it's first "check-up." I know they are gonna charge me at least $150 at the dealer... should I just do it on my own?

·
Registered
361 Posts
you can do alot of the check up yourself just look in the back of your owners manual and it shows what is to be done. most of the tools you need are in the tool bag besides the all purpose hammer,duct tape, and bailing wire(j/k texas joke)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm not the oil expert some of these guys are. But being from Florida also I may be able to help. It's been a while but I think this is right.

Oil in the heat is actually less important than in the cold. Hence the "w" in 15w30 means that when the oil is cold it acts like 15 weight, then when warmed up acts like 30 weight. The northern guys may be more up on this than I. Run what the manual says and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by RJinFL

I would guess that my requirements would be different for someone living in Canada. From what I'm reading, Mobile One 15w50 maybe???
Hehe, you know its been up around 100 here for the last month, it gets almost as hot here in Ontario as florida, although not for as long.
We'll probobly keep high temps like this through august.

As for the oil, the Mobil1 15w50 is a popular choice, but I'd wait until you have couple thousand miles on it before switching over.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do the first checkup yourself. i believe its a oil change and check the lube the cables. i know there a link to that in here somewhere. try "first service" in the search.

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks everyone.

CDNninja, the shitty part is, is that it stays @100% humidity down here thru September.

Even if I go riding at 5a.m. when it is cool, my clothes will still get wet from the moisture in the air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.