Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Exactly. I bought my 10R for little more than a new 250R costs now. Squidly McFuckface isn't going to make the wise decision. He's gonna want to "keep up" with his friends doing highchairs down I95.
Lol..good point. On the opposite end of the spectrum, it makes the new-gen 250's (until today - my bike) lose resale value slightly. 08-12's will be cheaper on the used market if this bike hits the market (as usual). And our 08-12 bikes looks good as well.

Like I said, if this is true and this is Kawasaki's US version or close to it, expect the price to be $5500 or more, which is insane. Then you get over $6K OTD. $1500 more and you get a 650.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Back in '07 you could walk out the door with a new 250 for $3,200. It didn't take long for them to rape that market.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
Lol..good point. On the opposite end of the spectrum, it makes the new-gen 250's (until today - my bike) lose resale value slightly. 08-12's will be cheaper on the used market if this bike hits the market (as usual). And our 08-12 bikes looks good as well.

Like I said, if this is true and this is Kawasaki's US version or close to it, expect the price to be $5500 or more, which is insane. Then you get over $6K OTD. $1500 more and you get a 650.
It won't affect the value of your bike that much, if any.

Previous generation bikes still hold their value very well against the current generation 250s. Of course it helps that they're better bikes than the new ones I suppose.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Motor wise they may be better. Suspension, styling and the fact that the new ones runs 17's are big improvement.

·
Registered
518 Posts

I believe the article posted on page one says it's coming with an ABS version. Expect that to be expensive.

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
the 11's and 12's already come out to nearly 5grand otd around here.

if they do add all this stuff, people really wouldnt buy a 250 when they can just buy something else for a few hundred more

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
Indonesia what a terrible place to launch a new model.

Sure they may sell alot of small displacement bikes, but it's a far cry from Europe or the US.
Thats where they are built, are they not?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Back in '07 you could walk out the door with a new 250 for $3,200. It didn't take long for them to rape that market.
An 07 model? Makes sense, the 07s were not much different from the 87s, and the new 08s were right around the corner.

Lets be frank guys people buy bikes for looks, and whether or not you agree with Kawi's current design language (the BEAK), it makes a ton of sense for them to mimic the look of their flagship with the 250.

The talk of upped costs is kind of bogus too... being that all Kawi's other street bikes are fuel injected, I would bet it would cost less to say, use ZX6R/650R TB/injectors, than continue to make carbs just for the 250. Not to mention, bike might not be able to make Euro emissions with carbs, and theres really no downside to FI aside from a little added cost.

I am sure Kawi recognizes the economic times we are in and worked to minimize any cost hikes... thats missed profit for them too.

Personally, I think it looks great and would def consider one for a commuter if the situation allowed it. And if you don't like it, there are legions of old ones to be had. I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
MSRP was $2999 in 2007. It was the exact same price in 2003 as well. It wasn't about the 08s being "right around the corner."

You can't use the throttle bodies from a ZX-6R for a 250. They're way too big.

Yeah, it looks alright, but saying that it's bogus that FI adds cost over carburetors is asinine.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
you guys think that everyware is like the USA.

In indonesia owning a bike that is any bigger than 250 cost heavily on luxury taxes , people can't afford a 600 because it cost as much as a 1400 in the US.

Those bike are going to fly off the shelves and people in those countries are going to find ways to modify these bikes to be as fast as 600s .

My jaw almost dropped , that bike is much more sexy looking than my 650 , it almost made me upset ...

in the usa people frown on 250s because this is the country of the bigger is better mentality , which is why people ride around on 200 mph bikes, in Indonesia the luxry tax , fuel cost and chances of your bike getting stolen not to mention insurance tripples from a 250 to a 600 .

Congrats Kawazaki for making their best selling bike even better , now if they only offer an equivalent 600 I would be happy (the 650 is not the equivalent , the 250 is an authentic track sport bike , the 650 is a sport commuter)

And I am also glad they did something about the ugly instruments , I had to spend 400 dollars to change mines on my 250 when I had it to KOSO because I could not stant the cheap look of the 250 analog instruments.

People in Indonesia buy 250s and keep them around , they don't just buy them for learning and for short trips , 600s bikes and up are for rich folks , in a country were everyone rides a scooter , having a 250 ninja , honda or else is a huge upgrade.

Plus the roads there are not speed friendly so a bike that can do 100 mph is more than fast enough.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
you guys think that everyware is like the USA.

In indonesia owning a bike that is any bigger than 250 cost heavily on luxury taxes , people can't afford a 600 because it cost as much as a 1400 in the US.

Those bike are going to fly off the shelves and people in those countries are going to find ways to modify these bikes to be as fast as 600s .

My jaw almost dropped , that bike is much more sexy looking than my 650 , it almost made me upset ...

in the usa people frown on 250s because this is the country of the bigger is better mentality , which is why people ride around on 200 mph bikes, in Indonesia the luxry tax , fuel cost and chances of your bike getting stolen not to mention insurance tripples from a 250 to a 600 .

Congrats Kawazaki for making their best selling bike even better , now if they only offer an equivalent 600 I would be happy (the 650 is not the equivalent , the 250 is an authentic track sport bike , the 650 is a sport commuter)

And I am also glad they did something about the ugly instruments , I had to spend 400 dollars to change mines on my 250 when I had it to KOSO because I could not stant the cheap look of the 250 analog instruments.

People in Indonesia buy 250s and keep them around , they don't just buy them for learning and for short trips , 600s bikes and up are for rich folks , in a country were everyone rides a scooter , having a 250 ninja , honda or else is a huge upgrade.

Plus the roads there are not speed friendly so a bike that can do 100 mph is more than fast enough.
Everywhere*
Kawasaki*
Numerous other errors*

Anyway, no one ever said that. I'm referring solely to the US market. Other more civilized parts of the world that have a tiered licensing system will not suffer AS MUCH from the 250R being priced too close to the larger bore sportbikes on the market. However they will suffer sales lost to their 250cc siblings that are more suitably priced for the market they want to sell them in.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Everywhere*
Kawasaki*
Numerous other errors*

Anyway, no one ever said that. I'm referring solely to the US market. Other more civilized parts of the world that have a tiered licensing system will not suffer AS MUCH from the 250R being priced too close to the larger bore sportbikes on the market. However they will suffer sales lost to their 250cc siblings that are more suitably priced for the market they want to sell them in.
Apparently on the interwebs I now need to watch my grammar and spelling more closely since I have been offending some members of these forums that do not understand that typing messages on a I-phone of great lengths can be taxing and will not give a crap about checking aforementioned errors until I get in front of a computer and have time to look at what I wrote.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Apparently on the interwebs I now need to watch my grammar and spelling more closely since I have been offending some members of these forums that do not understand that typing messages on a I-phone of great lengths can be taxing and will not give a crap about checking aforementioned errors until I get in front of a computer and have time to look at what I wrote.
Run on sentence :D

Sent from a computer in Cambodia with Internet explorer 2.0 and a mail order bride.

·
Registered
914 Posts
If the performance has improved on the 2013 then take my money I'll have a non ABS please!
If you're a beginner, I could see the abs being that extra safety measure for those 'just in case' situations. But I guess it all depends on if they bring it to NA and the price.

Sent from a computer in Cambodia with Internet explorer 2.0 and a mail order bride.

41 - 60 of 272 Posts