Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While finishing up may ZX600R project bike, I stumbled on this bike.

My '83 GPz550 is near mint. Had a crack in the headlight shell and did some ebay searching came upon an ad:

"1982 GPz550, complete, needs some work. My husband had has this bike for 6 years and has not worked on it. Get it out of my garage."

Starting bid: $75. Picks looked like it just needed some cleaning.

Ooh, a parts bike. I watched the ad and someone placed a bid (showed the $75 price still.) At the last minute, I bid $150. I got it for $96.00 :)

Well it was not that cheap, cost me $120 in gas to drive to NC to pick it up.

What I found was a shame. They had left it full of gas with the petcock on reserve. Must have had several gallons of gas in it. Probably turned to sludge, then became acidic. Ate through petcock and ran through carbs. Carbs had no moving parts and 1/4" of tar in the bowls. They were beyond repair as they were so corroded. Tank had a massive amount of rust inside.

Airbox is missing, but I have the old one from my '83 after installing pod filters. Forks/suspension look real good.

Turns out it has only 11k miles. Hmm, this might be more than a parts bike. Picked up tank and carbs off of ebay cheap.

Dropped in the carbs, It fired right up. Sounded real good, then started blowing smoke out one side. Head gasket has obvious rust all aound it. So will need new one. No big deal on these bikes.

So, this will be my next project. I'll get it running and if I get the engine solid, I may swap it with my '83. Will be nice to go from near 40k to 11k.

I'll match the paint and paint both bikes. Then probably sell the '82 for more than the costs. Most of the work will be polishing all the corrosion off of it. Engine and rims are near solid white.

Here's a pic, I had stripped off the fairings, tank etc to look inside. Just placed on for picture.

Now, this is real old school :) 19" wheels, 60HP, 440lbs, 2-valve, air-cooled. But it is the ORIGINAL sportbike, all other were copies.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
damn nice find and great price... you have to pay to drive out there to get it but still a great price... keep us up to date with her...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.