Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a week ago my mom lets some movers pick my bike up and move it. They apparently rolled it a little and then kept picking up the front end (my forks were locked but it was in neutral)

I was very upset that she let them.

So as a result my dad decides I need to teach him how to move the bike. I show him how to remove my cover and then start going over the controls. Then he tries to get on...struggles quite a bit to even get his leg over. When he balances the bike he comments ob how heavy it is. I was like, "You think thats heavy you should have felt my old katana"

So he rolls it around in neutral ok. Then he decided that he would like to know how to use power so he can get it the driveway. I hesitate but let him. I remind him of how everything works and tell him he just needs to find the friction zone. I should of known i was in trouble when he first tries the throttle and practally redlines it. I told him that very little was needed. Then he creeps forward under power and must have tought he had the hang of it. Cause his next move is to take off down the street. He immeditaly starts violently swerving back and forth almost dropping the bike on either side-completly OUT Of CONTROLL at this point. I run after him and he finally grabs the clutch and front brake. The rear end flies in the air at least 1.5 feet. Then once it was stopped he almost letrs it fall again from lack of ability to balance it.

It was pretty bad, but it could have been worse: I could have a very hurt dad or a very messed up bike. He did get a huge welt on his shin from when he did the stoppie. Needless to say I will not let him try to ride the bike again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
2 sundays ago i was workin on a deck im doin at my uncles about 2 miles from my parents house. i keep my bike there since they have a garage i can store it in, anyways my dad decides to take it for a rip. he went about 1/8 of a mile, he ended up highsiding, with no helmet on or pants and a tank top. he tore his elbow to shit, his hands and legs but nothing wrong physically to his head. bike however needs all new plastics, needs stator cover and clutch cover. shop says the front wheel is bent and a bunch of other shit that is wrong, to the tune of 7200 dollars. ive had the bike since 4/4/06 it had 1120 miles on it and my father totalled the shit out of it. so things could of always been worse but it still sucks specially when u would of been right there watching that.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear you ninjakid and way before I bought my bike I knew NOONE but me would ever ride my bike. Except it is hard to tell my dad that. Especially since I have never owned anything else that I would have had to tell him that he's not allowed to use it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Originally posted by Razor_crazed
2 sundays ago i was workin on a deck im doin at my uncles about 2 miles from my parents house. i keep my bike there since they have a garage i can store it in, anyways my dad decides to take it for a rip. he went about 1/8 of a mile, he ended up highsiding, with no helmet on or pants and a tank top. he tore his elbow to shit, his hands and legs but nothing wrong physically to his head. bike however needs all new plastics, needs stator cover and clutch cover. shop says the front wheel is bent and a bunch of other shit that is wrong, to the tune of 7200 dollars. ive had the bike since 4/4/06 it had 1120 miles on it and my father totalled the shit out of it. so things could of always been worse but it still sucks specially when u would of been right there watching that.
$7200! Damn. It's good that your dad wasn't seriosly hurt but tell me you were insured...

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Originally posted by JavaJoe

Then he creeps forward under power and must have tought he had the hang of it. Cause his next move is to take off down the street. He immeditaly starts violently swerving back and forth almost dropping the bike on either side-completly OUT Of CONTROLL at this point. I run after him and he finally grabs the clutch and front brake. The rear end flies in the air at least 1.5 feet. Then once it was stopped he almost letrs it fall again from lack of ability to balance it.

It was pretty bad, but it could have been worse: I could have a very hurt dad or a very messed up bike. He did get a huge welt on his shin from when he did the stoppie. Needless to say I will not let him try to ride the bike again.
Well think of your neighbors, they must have thought the circus came to town...lol Glad to hear your bike is ok and your dad never got hurt, but that would have been funny to watch....your dad on the bike and you running after him. Well ok funny to watch it happen to anyone else but NOT funny if it was me, my bike and my dad...lol

·
Registered
394 Posts
My dad took mine for a spin ONCE. got off, said that it was too fcking uncomfortable and that was it.. hahaha.... Theres no place on a 6R for an old man with a huge beer belly! He fits nice on his BMW RT1150 tho... hahaha

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
He's probably done 1 more stoppie than you now....lol. Glad things worked out ok for ya and him..

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'd bitchslap my dad if he ever touched my bike or my 350z!! Then again, I haven't lived with my parents since 94. But I would still bitchslap him.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
dad, mom, brother, best friend....NO ONE touches my bike. ive got friends who are incredibly more experienced than i am on bikes but they will never even breathe on my bike.

ESPECIALLY someone who has NO EXPERIENCE whatsoever. come on dude....use that brain....

·
Registered
717 Posts
Originally posted by Razor_crazed
[:M99] how did he highside in 1/8 of a mile?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by calen636

$7200! Damn. It's good that your dad wasn't seriosly hurt but tell me you were insured...
my insurance wouldnt cover it, but my dads does so i guess u can say its insured

Originally posted by usmc636

[:M99] how did he highside in 1/8 of a mile?
im still tryin to figure that out myself.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,495 Posts
Man...I've used my bike to -start- teaching one person how to ride, and I'd consider letting a few other people I know try, but these are very careful individuals who won't do anything rash (much more likely to underthrottle and stall it than they are to rev it out and get out of control). But the only people I ever let actually RIDE my bike are very close friends that own their own bikes. That way I know that if they wreck it, I'll still have a bike to ride around until they fix it. hehehe

I wrecked while riding with a buddy of mine a few years back, though, and he was really cool about everything. He even loaned me his bike overnight a few days every week until mine was running so I could keep riding. Whenever I think about not letting friends ride the bike, I remember that. I don't know what I would have done without his bike to take out now and then. =)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've only let (3) people ride my bike.

1) My best riding partner who has an '05 CBR600RR. We traded once.
2) Another riding buddy who has a '05 R6. We traded once.
3) Another riding buddy who has a '02 R6. I just let him try mine.

Of all the (3) my bike got the 'WHOA! that thing is insane!' response from everyone.:D

·
Registered
891 Posts
The best way to make a friend no longer a friend, is let them ride your bike.

I'll let my old man if he ever asks, but i have the utmost faith that if he hurt the bike, he'd fix it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.