Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The whole reason my dash lights wouldnt illuminate when you turn the key to the RUN position......... fuel pump relay?
WTF?
I even bypassed (hot wired) my key lock cylinder with a voltage regulator (LM317T) I made from scratch!
This whole time I thought it was my key lock cylinder's fault.

I know it doesnt make sense but I guess my ECU needed the fuel pump relay working to complete a circuit and illuminate my dash lights, also to start instead of just click(when hotwired)

Thats right, when it was hotwired with the fuel pump relay In a relay on my ECU would only click and not run the starter.

But when you take the fuel pump relay out hotwired or not the starter will spin.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
my dash lights went out on me as well. my problem was that some wiring came loose for my tailights and popped the fuse. i guess when you have no brake lights the dash lights go out too so when i fixed the wiring and replaced the fuse the lights on the dash magically returned. it was an easy fix luckily. k.i.s.s., keep it stupid simple, best mechanical advice i ever received.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I mean, put my key in, turn to the right, Nothing, no electricity at all, no starting, no clicking, no turning over, no dash lights, nothing at all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so my dash lights and starter will work only when the Fuel Pump Relay is out.
I have put in a new ECU and Fuel Pump Relay
and it is still doing the same thing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whitehendrix, you are correct. I completely demolished my key-lock-cylinder and found a resistor 100 ohm with a 5% tolerance. (brown - black - brown - gold, tan resistor)

·
Registered
138 Posts
ezrollin, I'm trying to help my buddy out thats having the same problem as you. He has a good battery but no lights or power when the switch is on. Did you fix your problem and what was it? Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no I havent, I've been kinda busy.
try pulling the fuel pump relay out and push the starter button

tell me what happens

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
tchavis.. you do any testing? basics and all.. main fuse, other fuses.. looks at connectors... all that jazz? it's always something simple it seems.. i spoke with ez last night and haven't heard anything back.. lol sounded like his switch is bad.

·
Registered
138 Posts
hendrix, i checked all of the fuses. His fuel pump stopped working about a week before this problem. I hotwired the pump and the bike ran fine. I'm thinking the two problems are related.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The POS is running. I just played with some wires and it finally had dash lights. I noticed it was turning over but not firing up so I played with the Ignitor box and that started it.

Whenever I hit my HIGHBEAM lights the fuse will blow. LOWBEAM works fine though.

The Hot Wiring is sooo easy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts