Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying at one point in my life while I was into cars I always said i'd never get a bike, then my Talon took a dump and 6 months passed. I've never riden a motorcycle and i've never worked on one. The day I bought my 93 zx6d I was about to go buy a 240sx but I looked at the car and the frame was rusted. On the way home there was a bright blue glare up the road at a car dealership, I told my friend to stop. I looked at the bike and the dealer came out and we talked, I had no idea what kind of bike it was or what condition it was. All I heard was it start up and idle and I was sold like a moron, some people just have to learn lessons first hand, I am that person and i'm always stubborn.

I came back the next day with 1,900 cash bought the bike and called my parents to come pick me up. I know how cool is that? they weren't too thrilled. I got the bike home and sat on it and I knew this was for me. I had to get the bike inspected and didn't know the regulations so my brother in law came over and told me to take it to his cousins shop. A month goes by and it finally leaves for the shop. Four months go by and only three of those days which happened to be at the end of the four months were used to work on the bike. Lesson learned here never trust anyone else to work on your bike and never pay them first. So while this four months went by I bought all my gear, head to toe in leather and plastic. Now the only riding experience I have now I got in those four months riding a 230cc dirtbike. I didn't feel too confident but got on the bike and rode it around in the parking lot for a few hours.

In those few hours I learned that its not wise to look away when you should be looking where you want to go in a turn. I came close to going off the road scared the shit out of me but kept on. At this point I called a few friends to come with their cars so I can ride in the middle of them all the way home. I get the bike 11 miles home and it blew a head gasket, apparently the shop I took it too doesn't know how to do things right. The gasket blew at a stop light so I didn't turn it off since it just went green, I tired to pull over to the shoulder half way there and the bike dies, uh oh. my friends had pulled over already and the next thing I see is a car sliding towards me tires screaming. I looked away and almost dropped the bike, it was two inches or so from hitting the ground. I forogt about the car and told myself i'm not dropping this bike and it must have been the will of the gods that day but I picked the bike up.

Made it to the shoulder and then into a parking lot and then home. I get the bike home and it sits for a week. I start reading everyhting I can about motorcycles learning everything. I diagnose the problem and then order parts, two weeks later i've taken the whole bike apart and spent another two weeks fixing it. I got the bike running top notch, the same 24 hours my girlfriend breaks up with me and right before I go for my first ride my boss calls and says he can't afford to pay me anymore so I lost my job. All of this is fine because hey, i'm going to do something that I love to do. I could just get on my bike and ride away, I suit up get on the bike start it up, man does she sound great. I'll go visit one of my friends whos been hearing all about my bike. I was excited. I drive two miles from home happy as can be nothing else mattered now. I shift into third gear and all I hear is metal on metal, I see smoke and oil spraying out. At this point I want to just break down and give up but I have to get the bike home, so I start pushing it. I made it a mile and said who cares, left the bike in a field.

Now the next day I spent sleeping and feeling sorry for myself. Then my parents haggle me and say I have to get the bike back home. My ploy to have someone steal it isn't going to work. Whos gonna steal a bike with an obvious hole in the motor? I waste most of the day and then my brother wants to go get the bike so we get to the bike and sadly its still there. I sit on it and check the oil level which seems to be fine, maybe not alot came out apparently. so I start the bike, it sounds like shit but runs and it has a hole in the block mind you. I turn it off and say I don't want to make things worse. I push it 50 ft and say fuck it its done. I started it up and it kept dying. I tell my brother to push me, I put it in first and she screams to life. I am pretty excited and happy now, I make it a half mile before she dies again, I curse a few times and get it rolling and back in first and she makes it all the way home with my brother behind me in the car. He said there was so much smoke he couldn't see so he had to slow down. I stopped the bike and metal just fell out of the hole. I put the bike in my bottom drive way close to the rode, while I hope someone steals it I know that no one will. I check ebay and find a motor for 500 shipped, right now I have to make the choice if i'm going to buy it or not and waste more money on this machine. I never listen to good reason and I don't have a job but what is one to do when you have something that you love so much you just can't give up on it. So in the next few days i'll most likely have the motor and begin to put it in.

I just want everyone to know that before you buy a motorcycle take the msf class,practice riding, have a mechanic friend you trust look at the bike before you buy it, and never give up on something you love doing. Someone out there will never have the chance to do what we do. Good luck and stay safe.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
dam hope things get better for ya. mite as well buy that motor for the bike cause your in a no win situation the way i see it. sounds like u got screwed on the price rite off the bat. u can't sell it for much, even with another engine u won't get much. just get the engine and ride, the day will come when u can step up to a newer and better bike. good luck with it.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Do you have enuf money to buy a 250? Sure it's not as powerful but at least you could rely on it.

I hope you don't give up. One day every thing will work out [:p]

·
Registered
190 Posts
don't feel too bad. a few days after i got my bike my friend calls me and tells me he got one too. He bought it for 350 dollars its an old kawasaki from like the early 80's. NO insurance, no msf, no gear, no safety inspection, no registration. he didn't get gear and only got helmet cuz he had too. He had to leave it in the dealership parking lot for like a week cuz he couldn't drive it. So one day I go with him to check on it and somebody from the dealership comes out and says to get that piece of crap off his property its been there for a week. So my friend gets a u haul and hauls it to his house and works on it for like 2 weeks and finally gets it running. So he's riding and he tries to take a turn in his parking lot and knows he can't make so he jumps off the bike. Crash #1. Then a few days later I took him riding and his shifter falls off. He can put it back on but everytime he does it just falls off again. So he takes it home fixes that and is doing an oil change when he strips the screw to the oil filter and its done...no more oil filter. Somehow weeks later he calls me and says he got it fixed and I should come riding so I come over and its running. Somewhere before I get over there he is test riding it and crashes again at low speed in his parking lot. Crash #2 So I'm now thinking I should not ride with this guy but he's my friend and he really wants to go so we take it easy and go riding on some mild twisties. He is having a blast so we decide to turn around and ride the road again. Well on the way back i look in my rearview and see my friend and a huge cloud of smoke. Well my friend has somehow become airborn and his bike is right behind him. WOW!!! they are like 6 feet in the air and totally horizontal. He comes down and SMACK... his head nails the ground bike behind him minivan behind the bike screeching his tires as to not hit my friend who is knoced out on the ground. CRASH#3We go to the hosptal and this guy asking me if he can go get his bike and I'm like man you want to ride it again? Hell no. I guess what had happened was that the oil drain plug fell out covered his rear tire and he lost control and high sided.

So a few weeks later he calls me up and his bike won't run and frankly I'm glad. But he wants to ride it again. apparently it has some kind of short though so it won't start. I really can't beleive it and tell him the bike is not safe everytime you go out it breaks down.. for the sake of shortening this I left out a few breakdowns in between. Basically he gets all mad at me and tells me the wrecks weren't his fault. He was just learning... oil leak and i'm like wow man not your fault? If he had done the right things none of this would haave happened. Anyways needless to say he's not riding and hopefully won't.

Oh yeah and this all 3 crashes happened within the same month

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
sound like a bike Eximport Cycles in Houston would sell! Sorry to hear about your woes, hope they get better.

strat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.