Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Trip: Hicksville, OH to Mackinaw Bridge and back in two days.

I got all my friends around that could get off work and decided to make the best of a couple of days of my vacation by going on a bike trip to the bridge. 800 miles in 2 days is a big thing for us, never went that far on the bikes so we was excited. I ended up getting 7 of the guys togeather with an interesting group of bikes:
My 05 ZZR600
My two brothers one on a 92 Katana 600 with 30,000 miles on it and the other on a 93 Katana 600 that just had a motor transpant a month ago
A 92 GSXR 750
02 GSXR 750
02 GSXR 1000
04 Yamaha FZ6
Trip started out going good and on schedule knocked of the first 100 miles like nothing and stopped for some gas. Got back on the road and was heading past Lansing when we got into a traffic jam we all started to slow and as i look in my mirror i see the 92 GSXR go up in a cloud of smoke. I rushed a head and stopped the rest of the group and we went to see what had happened. We had hoped the oil pumper GSXR had blown a oil line or something. No luck found a hole in the block behind the starter she had thrown a rod. We then sent two of the guys into Lansing to see if we could figure out what to do cus we had no truck able to come get him. Started pushing but then realized it was 1 1/4 miles to the exit and then one of the guys called and said that it was about 7 miles down the exit to the city. My brother then asked the owner of the bike if he cared what else happened to the motor and trany. Owner said no so we fired her up on 3 cylinders and rode it at 25 mph into town on the edge of the road. I rode in the slow lane moving traffic over so they was not flying right by us. By this time the others had found and rented a Uhaul and met us at a church in town, they also had found a dealership. We loaded the bike up and showed up minutes before they closed. My buddy looked around and bought a 06 GSXR600. Took till about 10 to get the deal worked out and the trade made on the 92 we then went ate and rode till 12:30. Got a couple of rooms then headed for the local bar for a drink. I think we got to sleep at about 3 or so and was back on the road at 9 the next morning. Decided that we was finishing the trip even if it meant 200 miles up to the bridge and then 400 more back home. Spent almost all day on the bikes only stopping for gas, food, and bathrooms. Spent maybe an hour at the bridge and that back on the way. Made it home safe and sound at midnight last night. 7 guys....8 bikes.....10,000 dollars.....800 miles.... Tons of good memories.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was not planning on buying we actually was going to see if they would store the bike so we could get a truck to come get it. Uhaul would have been pretty pricy plus we would have had to bring the truck back where we got it from could not drop it at any uhual places near home. So with all that plus the fact that we was kidding around with him about just buying one and him sick of that bike at that point. He also said the idea of all us riding and him either in a truck heading home or in the Uhaul made him sick so he bought it. He had been looking anyway this just made it happen a heck of a lot quicker.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
dude i would smack you in the nuts if you didnt finish the trip out!

my girl and i have done over 800 miles two up in less than 36 hours (cruiser however)

and i have done over a 1000 with some bros in about the same time :)

glad u didnt puss out, well done! :D

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Great ride story... wouldn't have been nearly as entertaining without the meltdown... cool that you all continued regardless. A lesson for the cruiser jockeys...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While we was broke down the only person to stop and ask if we needed any help was a MI State Trooper on a Harley, we was all ok, he asked how fast we was going when it let go and then he took off to the wreck that was causing the traffic to be backed up. No one else asked or stopped or anything.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
That is a great story for all of you, but especially your buddy who now owns a sick new 600. I love those bikes.

--David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.