Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just thought i'd show yas the latest n greatest coming from my very hands.
mid or late 70's xs650 bobber build. got it fired up today. re-designing the charging system. false tank under the seat holds the electrics, some switches.

went thru and fixed a hanging float in #1 carb today. fired right off after putting oil in it. should be a cool bike when i'm done. pretty much my project bike and my initiation into the new shop i'm at.

unmolested stock harness

ignition switch in false tank

molested stock harness.

battery box tacked in.

making the ignition power and headlight power harness.

gonna TIG these little guys tothe frame and run the eires thru those instead of using zip ties. it's thinwall 1/4 pipe or somethin like that.

well. lots more to go. going to rip the motor out probably tomorrow or tuesday and once i get my tig rig to the shop, go over EVERY joint on the hard tail swap where some shit was only tacked with mig.. zap the batter box and false tank and seat brackets, wire supports and misc shit.. then off to the powdercoaters with some more brackets i'll make for the single speedo and H-D headlight.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Nice looking. Keep it updated!

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol.. this is one of three on my plate i'm building. then i was asked about a possible turbo ZX11 project.. so.. this could all be alot of crazy shit soon for me!

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, off sunday and monday.. but this bike will definitely be a camera whore! love the bike field. always have. glad i'm back in it.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
moar.
made TIG welding over the last week. found several points in the frame where the dude who welded t6he tail on musta forgot that welding requires the piece to be structurally sound. MAD pinholes in what WAS actually welded.. which wasn't much. lots of shit left untouched.

went over every one of his welds and burned the flux out, added filler and made a solid weld worthy of actually being ridden. rims and frame off to the powdercoater's right now. rims red, frame black.

also on the list.. is a guy's CR500-powered CRF250 street tard conversion. motor is BUILT. decomp in the head, modified port timing from what i could tell at a glance. have the frame and CNC'd kit mounts tacked up in place. theres a kit to do this. pretty nice.

chances are i'll be the one welding the frame entirely and who knows what else. should be an awesome machine when done.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
moar. the other bobber.. battery box fab wirth NO press brake! because i'm fucking baller like that.

fuse welded. (autogenous welding) 22 gauge mild steel.

and an 07/08 ZX10R oil pan that got cracked when the bike bottomed out (slammed/stretched) and the exhaust got shoved up into the pan.

this one needs a battery box.

i formed it with only my mind

yes i know. i fried the end. got too happy with the pedal. stfu. i fixed it
lust at my gangsta ass V block, bishes.

see? fixt

perfect ass fit, of course

cracked 10R pan

V-eed out for welding. been heated up already (being cast.. gotta pre and post heat)

don't think i had the gas cranked enough at the start.. coulda been contamination too. thus the orange. don't know.. never will. welded and fixed.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
i like it. there's allotta aftermarket available for the 650 yami. check out a mag/website called "the horse". lots of ratty home builds there, no big dollar stuff.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the horse is a great mag. lots of cool shit all the time in there. need to look at it again to give me some ideas. fabbed the battery box today.. pics in a while.. but haven't gotten too far yet with either one.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ahhhhhhhh dude I've been wanting to build one of these for so long.

you are the man whitey
i'm building these to be sold. you can always buy one and re-do it as your own shit.. lol

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok. finished an R6 kickstand and the battery box today.
now, i'm no TIG welder, mind you. i know enough to be dangerous.. so.. ya. it's not perfect but it works and will hold and doesn't look too bad at a distance. lol

i think i am getting better tho.. IMHO aluminum is alot easier to weld.. .. well, sometimes. lol
that kickstand fought the fuck out of me.

autogenously welded (no filler) on the box. 4043 rod (aluminum) on the R6 stand.

traced rought outline and nice radius with washer..

ECU unplugged, battery unhooked.. tacked then removed and slapped in a vise for the rest.

box

1 - 20 of 164 Posts