Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met a new riding buddy tonight, and after he showed me one of his favorite roads I took him down one of my favorite roads on the way home. Dark twisties at night with lots of farm land, fields, and woods around. I am aware that lots of animals are out at night and I am always thinking about that in my head, but I've never had as many close calls as I did tonight.

First, a rabbit runs right infront of my bike when im doing probably 40 mph in a straight. He went right infront of the front wheel and I tried to kick him with my right foot, I had to be damn closed but I missed him.

Then, not even five minutes later on a parallel running road, I am doing about 60 mph when I see two deer on the side of the road, I start slowing down and they start running. The first one runs infront of me, but at atleast 30 feet from where I was. The second one keeps running, I'm probably doing 30 mph or less now and he almost runs right into the side of my bike... I thought his head knocked my gf in the ass is how close this fuggin thing got to my bike. I took it easy the rest of the way until I made it a main road with street lights and businesses where I would be much less likely to see all these wild creatures.

A few weeks ago I almost ran over a posson that was in the middle of a turn. He was right near the double yellow and luckily ran right to the other side of the road and didn't get near me.

Other than that, last year I almost hit a raccoon, and last year a small bird hit my helmet at 80 mph and died instantly. I have a funny picture of myself holding it.

We have too many damn dear out here, I guess I'll be getting my paperwork and cleaning up my 12 guage so I can hopefully take atleast one of them out this January. But, of course the only time you don't see them is when you are sitting still in the woods with a shotgun searching for them.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
That's crazy....I hit a raccoon the other night. I looked to the left to see a cop that's ALWAYS in this one spot and out of nowhere BAM!. Thought I hit a metal box or something and thought my front tire popped. Looked in the rearview to see my buddies swerving. When we stopped, we watched a huge raccoon limp away. I don't know how he survived

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Yeah, bunnies are pretty quick, huh? LOL.

Deer are a real problem - you never know which way they'll decide to bolt, and they take of from a dead stop FAST. And where there's one, you can be sure there are more. Polygamous bastards! Gotta take it VERY easy at night in rural areas.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
[:Lol] joonyaboy, that picture is funny as hell!

I live out in the country so I see deer like that all the time. I hate riding through that section on the bike because they run out so often. I've also had the same thing as you where I thought for sure it was going to hit me from the side. In most situations, it's their own instinct working against them. If they would just stay where they are, I wouldn't have any problems with them.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,685 Posts
Its the animal conspiracy!! Their trying to take back their planet. Tim Bedore is right!!!
Oh yeah, and raccoons can't be killed by conventional means.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It's almost Hunting Season isn't it? [}:)] Kill the little f'ers!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've killed some raccoons in my day, they used to eat my damn chickens and pigeons at night. They were greedy bastards to, they would just rip the heads off and leave the rest of the bird sitting there, so I took it upon myself to get rid of a few of em.

I know I've got to take it easier on the back roads at night, but its hard because theres no traffic and theoretically if it weren't for animals, it would be a pretty good time to ride a bit quicker due to less dumb ass cagers being on the lose.

·
Registered
785 Posts
While out, in one night a buddy of mine on a CBR1000RR nailed a deer at like 80 mph. SOMEHOW kept it upright.

About an hour later, 9 bikes all swerve around an entire family of possums that thought it would be clever to play in traffic. The babies were almost flattened.

It was my turn to lead, and sure enough, come about a foot from nailing a fox, and my buddy sideswipes his ass.

And finally, on the way home...I come to a stop, look at something scuttering in the road...and run it over. Damn field mouse.

That was just a bad night to ride, I assume.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by rockstar84
I've killed some raccoons in my day, they used to eat my damn chickens and pigeons at night. They were greedy bastards to, they would just rip the heads off and leave the rest of the bird sitting there, so I took it upon myself to get rid of a few of em.
That was before I guess you moved to Long Island :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Last sunday i was on the local bike road with a couple buddies and i hit a black lab. it was still a puppy but about halfway to adult size. we had just turned around to head back home and had gotten up to about 50mph, i was at the rear and this dog pops out of some tall grass about 30 feet in front of me, runs to the middle of the road, stops and stares at me. i was to close to do anything so i just hit the front and rear brakes. on impact, dead center of the dog, he swung around to my rightand somehow managed to cause the front to wash on me and at that exact moment the rear locked. the only thing i can think of is that when it swung around the bike it got caught in the wheel causing it to wash. luckily i was able to avoid going down. there was no shoulder at this part of the road so i kept going until i got somewhere i could pull off. when i was looking ovre the bike i found a chunk of hair between the rotor and pads and my shoe was covered in blood. it was a scary day and the first time ive ever run over any animal, bike or car. damn stupid animals!!!![V]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Dalarast

That was before I guess you moved to Long Island :)

Nope, that was right on the Island in my development. I didn't kill em with the shotgun, I took out the air rifle for stealth mode.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Originally posted by usmc636
Last sunday i was on the local bike road with a couple buddies and i hit a black lab. it was still a puppy but about halfway to adult size. we had just turned around to head back home and had gotten up to about 50mph, i was at the rear and this dog pops out of some tall grass about 30 feet in front of me, runs to the middle of the road, stops and stares at me. i was to close to do anything so i just hit the front and rear brakes. on impact, dead center of the dog, he swung around to my rightand somehow managed to cause the front to wash on me and at that exact moment the rear locked. the only thing i can think of is that when it swung around the bike it got caught in the wheel causing it to wash. luckily i was able to avoid going down. there was no shoulder at this part of the road so i kept going until i got somewhere i could pull off. when i was looking ovre the bike i found a chunk of hair between the rotor and pads and my shoe was covered in blood. it was a scary day and the first time ive ever run over any animal, bike or car. damn stupid animals!!!![V]
Awww ... that's too sad. Glad you didn't go down and are physically ok though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
hahahaha wow this is a funny thread....all of us sharing are animal stories. damn squirrels are the worst. the little bastards cant make up their mind to whether or not they wanna cross or go back.i was goin through the canyon one day and, makin a fast right turn to a left a kamikaze squirrel made his move and i nailed him.:(

·
Registered
759 Posts
Riding at night in the boonies adds too much risk and that takes the fun out of it for me. The night air can feel good, but you're putting yourself at much higher risk due to not being able to see the road, read the road surface, people can't see you and then there's the legions of nocturnal animals out and about. I can't relax and enjoy riding with my brain working overtime to watch for all the stuff/people out to kill me. When the sun goes down, the cage comes out.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Garry, thats true, it's not a bad philosophy. But, if we can resist the throttle addiction a bit and go closer to the speed limit, like most of the cruiser guys going no where in a hurry, we will be much safer and can still ride any road at night. That's how I feel, I mean some people only ride motorcycles year round, you just have to adapt your speed and attitude to compensate for the loss of visibility and increase in suicidal animals! :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Originally posted by Monstermack
Its the animal conspiracy!! Their trying to take back their planet. Tim Bedore is right!!!
Oh yeah, and raccoons can't be killed by conventional means.
[:M50]oh man. i love that guy. im sure anyone who doesnt listen to bob and tom think we're retarded. good stuff.

·
Registered
950 Posts
+1 on the '**** pic!
+1 on the animal conspiracy!
+1 can't be killed by conventional means!
+1 for just going slower at night!

Bagged me a chipmonk last week!

:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.