Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For instance if you're in traffic going downhill and the car in front of you needs to back up. What would you? You can't walk your bike backwards. If you could shift it in reverse, problem solved.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I agree. I'm only 5"1 and can only barely touch the ground with both feet. Simply pushing the bike manually is a pain in the ass let alone pushing it up hill. I usually have to get off and push it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Originally posted by Latin Ninja
For instance if you're in traffic going downhill and the car in front of you needs to back up. What would you? You can't walk your bike backwards. If you could shift it in reverse, problem solved.
Well then that person F****d up and need to figure out how to go straight lol. Honestly though have you ever encountered that situation? and if so why did the car need to back up?

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
How does the reverse gear work on a Gold Wing? Is it an extra gear on the gear shifter? If so, where is it at and what keeps you from throwing it into reverse while you're moving forward?

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
senf - not sure how it works on a 'wing, but on most ATV's (with reverse) there is a manual lockout knob on the right fender... you downshift to first gear, pull in the clutch, turn the knob with your right hand, and then use your left foot to move the shifter as if you were just normally downshifting. So the pattern would be: 6-5-4-3-2-N-1-R, but the R is only accessible if you turn that lockout knob. It sounds cumbersome, but it's not, once you get used to it.

I'd imagine it has to be something similar on a streetbike... anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I believe that the Goldwings reverse is an electric motor.

I always park in a manner that allows me to pull straight out. That probably comes from riding the KLR 650. I couldn't flat foot it with my 35" inseam. Probably another reason I love the little 250 so much. :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Originally posted by JStutz2003
I believe that the Goldwings reverse is an electric motor.

I always park in a manner that allows me to pull straight out. That probably comes from riding the KLR 650. I couldn't flat foot it with my 35" inseam. Probably another reason I love the little 250 so much. :)
The starter motor to be exact, when the bike is in neutral you turn a knob to enable reverse and hit the start button to go backwards. When done disable reverse and proceed as usual.

·
Powerhungry
37,963 Posts
that would kill a starter motor. if used more than a few times. they arent designed to be used as a drive motor.
some snowmobiles have reverse. they actually run BACKWARDS. fuckin crazy. some bmw cruisers have reverse too, but im not sure how its done.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Originally posted by JStutz2003
Makes sense. How do they set it up to be smooth?
Not sure if there is any dampening but the reverse on a goldwing runs pretty slow (about walking pace) so there's not really an issue of going too fast backwards and it seems to start moving pretty smoothly so no big jolt to deal with. Dunno the innards of it but it's good for it's purpose of getting the rider out of a bind.

nevada - yea you'd think so but reverse on the goldwing is for when the rider gets in a bind so you don't use it too often/long and from what I've seen the motor seems to handle it ok.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What I mean is, have you ever put a car or bike in first and pushed the starter? It's like riding a bull(if you don't have a clutch starter switch). It comes in handy if you run out of gas and need to get to the top of the next hill, but its far from smooth enough to use regularly.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
my zx has reverse, it's got a go go gadget reverse button lol. but really the goldwing reverse gear is very smooth. just engage it and hit the starter button.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
To solve the original problem, always leave enough room to the person in front of you to be able to go around that person without backing up first. So if they throw it in reverse, just go around them and let them back up into the space you were in. Problem solved. And yeah, people take advantage of you and will try to squeeze into that space and be dickwads, but what are you gonna do. I ride very considerately on the street. Keeps me alive to run on the track. =)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I wish my bike had reverse too. there are a lot of hills in my area. the other day I went to blockbuster to rent a movie. the spot I parked in was slightly downhill which I didnt notice until I had to back out of the space :( im 5'10 and can flat foot the bike but man, that was a pain.

·
Registered
206 Posts
One thing you cac do if you have to is lean the bike onto the side stand and spin the bike around on it. Not easy, but something to keep in mind if you ever HAVE to do it. Get good at it and it looks cool too, lol.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Originally posted by Latin Ninja

Don't ride on the person's bumper and you won't have a problem.

I give myself at least a 1.5 -2 car length cushion just in case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.