Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
06 ZX10R - To buy or not?

A friend at work is selling an 06 ZX10R with 600 ACTUAL miles on it. She's sellin' it for payoff - $6k!!!

I'm pretty sure y'all are gonna say something like..."and you haven't bought it yet???"

It's solar pearl yellow and has aftermarket exhaust cans on it....pretty much brand new.

Any cons to buying this bike? I gotta tell ya...I'm almost 48 years old and the last sportbike I rode was my 93 CBR900RR.

I have MS (multiple sclerosis) and don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride...but for now I am capable/fit. I don't want to pass up this opportunity unless someone can tell me why I should avoid this bike.

Seriously...any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Umm, if you don't pick this bike up you'd be making a mistake. Two main reasons...

1. If you can still ride now, then get your kicks in while its still available to you. No reason to not live life to the fullest.

2. Once you get to the point where you cant ride anymore, you'll be able to sell that bike for at least what you paid for it. My guess is you'll make money! ITS AN INVESTMENT!!

If you don't buy it, give me her number and I'm gonna come pick it up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's pretty much the way I see it...trying to live my life to the fullest EVERY day! And I may be able to ride it for a few years... MS is strange...affects everyone differently - I could be in a wheelchair next year or be fine for the next 20 years!

Not really sure I could get my money back once I start puttin' the miles on it, but that doesn't concern me. I just want to buy it to enjoy it. I've made very LITTLE money on anything I've ever had and sold later. I buy because I want it and if I can make a buck or two later or at least not lose my arse...I'm pretty happy.

Any other opinions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
take it easy for awhile, the 10r is going to be way more than your old cbr was, but you will love it, i bought my 07 brand new just a month ago and already have 1500miles on it, upgraded from a 07 6r, i absolutly love my 10r

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
take it easy for awhile, the 10r is going to be way more than your old cbr was, but you will love it, i bought my 07 brand new just a month ago and already have 1500miles on it, upgraded from a 07 6r, i absolutly love my 10r
I'm sure 13 years has made a dramatic difference in the performance of liter-class sport bikes...but that old cbr was cutting edge at the time...and at the top of the heap. Of course, I'm sure the model T was in its day as well :D

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
I was out of the riding game for quite some time and jumped back in with an '06 ZX10R myself...I think you'll be blown away by the handling and sheer speed this monster has! Go buy it now! And I think blinging is right, it may just cure what ails you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gonna go look the bike over tomorrow afternoon.

Some things to consider:

1. It hasn't been started or ridden in 1.5 - 2 years...the battery is definitely dead. Can I put a charger on it to bring it back to life? At least long enough to start it and ride it? Is it safe to connect a charger with the battery still connected to the electronics or should I just remove the battery or at least disconnect it from the bike's leads before connecting a charger to it?

2. I'm sure the fuel is VERY stale...How difficult is it to drain the tank before I put new gas in, or should I just put a gallon or two of premium in it and hope for the best?

3. Tires...no brainer...check for proper inflation.

Anything else I should be mindful of?

thanks!
Scott

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Gonna go look the bike over tomorrow afternoon.

Some things to consider:

1. It hasn't been started or ridden in 1.5 - 2 years...the battery is definitely dead. Can I put a charger on it to bring it back to life? At least long enough to start it and ride it? Is it safe to connect a charger with the battery still connected to the electronics or should I just remove the battery or at least disconnect it from the bike's leads before connecting a charger to it?

2. I'm sure the fuel is VERY stale...How difficult is it to drain the tank before I put new gas in, or should I just put a gallon or two of premium in it and hope for the best?

3. Tires...no brainer...check for proper inflation.

Anything else I should be mindful of?

thanks!
Scott
Check the front fork seals. The '06-07 models have had some trouble with seal leakage, especially after long storage. Check them before and after riding if possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks! Will do!

Is it a given that they will leak or was it only a small percentage?

How hard is it to remove the seat or cowl to get to the battery? Just a couple bolts?

Anyone ever drain the gas out of the tank? Is it just a matter of loosening a clamp on the fuel line?

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Thanks! Will do!

Is it a given that they will leak or was it only a small percentage?

How hard is it to remove the seat or cowl to get to the battery? Just a couple bolts?

Anyone ever drain the gas out of the tank? Is it just a matter of loosening a clamp on the fuel line?
The side plastics (small) need to come off (one bolt each) and then the seat bolts. Takes like 5 minutes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blingin10,

Excellent idea...will siphon the old fuel out of the tank!

Slob,

thanks for the seat removal steps!

·
Moderhater
62,425 Posts
why not man, just use good judgement. You know yourself better than anyone who knows you so, be smart and enjoy while you still can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
went and checked the bike out yesterday:

battery dead - would not recharge - owner buying new battery today

the bike is at her brother's house - 54 miles away...not exacty convenient...but will go back tomorrow with new battery and check it out further.

I siphoned old gas from tank and put in a couple gallons of fresh premium
Will air up the tires tomorrow, and take her for a test ride.

Question...it has a fender eliminator kit so how does a license tag get attached? I saw nothing visible..but didn't look that closely.

It has Ti-Force exhaust cans and a power commander. Are the Ti-Force cans good ones?

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Ti-Force claims a coupe of horsepower boost across the board with a significant mid-range improvement. Most likely the owner got the PCIII free with a full ti-exhaust system (they throw it in for free). It is a $1400 add for the package, so good find for you!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
A friend at work is selling an 06 ZX10R with 600 ACTUAL miles on it. She's sellin' it for payoff - $6k!!!

I'm pretty sure y'all are gonna say something like..."and you haven't bought it yet???"

It's solar pearl yellow and has aftermarket exhaust cans on it....pretty much brand new.

Any cons to buying this bike? I gotta tell ya...I'm almost 48 years old and the last sportbike I rode was my 93 CBR900RR.

I have MS (multiple sclerosis) and don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride...but for now I am capable/fit. I don't want to pass up this opportunity unless someone can tell me why I should avoid this bike.

Seriously...any advice is greatly appreciated!
I'm also looking into an 06' ZX10R. This ones black with only 300miles! But the price is $8500 before tax, title.

I'd say buy it! You only live once....Right?

BTW...Welcome

1 - 19 of 19 Posts