Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Nate and I have caught the bug, I want to start riding. After talking to some people who are well versed in motorcycles they recommended a v-twin, specifically the 650r. I've heard that the powerband is pretty much even across the range and a good bike to begin on. Any opinions?

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
It's a parallel twin. But aside from that error your friends are correct.

I would suggest however, an older sv650 for a couple of reasons:

1) cheaper - for same performance
2) wayyyyyy more aftermarket - both performance and aesthetics
3) more readily available used spare parts
4) bigger knowledge base and greater degree of customization possible
5) sounds better
6) the bikes performance can be easily and cheaply modified to match your skill level.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A 300 is a great ideal first bike for anyone unless your 6' 6" then I can see it getting uncomfortable. But the problem you run into with the 300 is its a brand new bike and there is not a lot of knowledge or aftermarket parts for it yet. If you've never had any bike experience what so ever the very first thing to do is take ur MSF course. After that and u get a feel for riding then start lookin at some used bikes. If ur worried about having to much power look at some used 250's. They're plenty out there for sale and reasonably priced. But if u do a lot of highway riding and want to be able to keep up with traffic with ease then look at some used 650's. The bike is only going to go as fast as u tell it to so maturity is a key factor. I started off on a 650 and loved it. I'm 6ft 180 and it pulled me around with no problem. If a situation arose that I needed to get out of quickly there was plenty of power to get me out of it. In the end though its gunna come down to what u want and feels more comfortable to you. By no means am I discouraging u from getting a 250 when I say you'll probably trade it in after a while cuz you'll want something bigger. They are fun little bikes and I definitely wouldn't mind having one to cruise around on. But like i said you have to look at what you'll be using it for and what feels most comfortable to you. Hope this helps u out a little and good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
What would you think about a 300? I'm about 5'10" and 190 lbs. I was afraid it might be too small for me.
My wife's about your size. She had a 250 for three years. And put about 15000 km on it. She still speaks of it fondly. It kept up fine at highway speeds as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I ride a 650 and i love it!! Started on it n am very happy with my decision to do so.. Ive rode my friends 636 n although it may be better on the track i dont think theres anything that is better about it on the street..

650 is alot more comfortable than the 636 to ride and doing alot of commuting id recommend the 650! I wish i could compare it to the 300 or 250 but i havent ridden any yet..

I will agree with getting an older 650 if ur looking for aftermarket parts and such.. My bike is nearly stock.. Only real modification (if u can call it that) is i plastidip'd my windscreen.. U CAN buy some other little modifications online.. Mostly cosmetics.. But still the market is low.. I have a '12 n havent looked lately but usually dont find much for it.. U can look on ninja650shop n see some of the options they have for a bike my year and some of the older bikes..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my worry is rolling on it and then laying it down. I want something that I'm not going to be bored of in a couple of years and is fun to drive. It'll mainly be used for travel to and from work, about 20 miles roundtrip through some heavily trafficked country area during times of travel.

Another purchasing factor is aftermarket mods. What fun is owning something if you can't make it yours?

I plan on taking the MSF mid-September, they'll offer some 250s and a helmet to train on and maybe I'll purchasing a bike in the off season when the dealers are wanting to offload them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What ever you feel comfortable on is what you should get. I started on a Ninja 1000 and to this day I am glad I did. You control the throttle and any bike responds to how the operator uses it. I almost got a 650 but I like to commute too! The 1000 suited my needs better for highway distance and comfort as well as that 4 cylinder powerband, which very smooth in any gear. Get the bike that turns you on and makes you want to ride all day every day. Ciao G!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts