Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a bigger bike next summer. My zzr600 is plenty fast handles well etc. but I really would like a smoother bike on the highway. I would also like more mid range power. Most of my trips consist of two hour trips at the most which is no issue at all on my current bike. I intend to ride two up with my wife on longer trips next summer and my current bike is not going to cut it in terms of comfort for the wife. Just like any sport bike highway miles become a pain very quickly. With that said my short list so far consist of a Honda VFR,FZ1(with lowers),used zzr1200.Maybe I should just split the difference and get zx14 and a fat life insurance policy. What else should I consider?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Man...I was seriously considering the FZ1....that was my first bike of choice....I ended up getting the 6R because of the color and size(not cc's). The VFR(Interceptor's) are nice but new, very expensive. Although, the ABS braking system is cool... Personally, I would get the FZ1....read too many good things about them.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Originally posted by willidx4
Thinking about buying a bigger bike next summer. My zzr600 is plenty fast handles well etc. but I really would like a smoother bike on the highway. I would also like more mid range power. Most of my trips consist of two hour trips at the most which is no issue at all on my current bike. I intend to ride two up with my wife on longer trips next summer and my current bike is not going to cut it in terms of comfort for the wife. Just like any sport bike highway miles become a pain very quickly. With that said my short list so far consist of a Honda VFR,FZ1(with lowers),used zzr1200.Maybe I should just split the difference and get zx14 and a fat life insurance policy. What else should I consider?
I'm not reading good things about the FZ1. Every tester complains about the FI."The bike hicccups almost anytime the throttle is cracked open. Factor in the light flywheel effect and I find it very difficult to be smooth on the FZ1".That's from cycle world. Go with the ZX14. If you're young a 200K term life policy will be cheap.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The new Kawi Z1000 could be interesting. Consider the Triumph Sprint ST too. Great bike. Lightly used versions from 2002-2004 can be found for under $6K with hard luggage.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
I would say the Triumph as well. the I3 is a gem of a motor, had a 955i so i know, also can still handle on the backroads if you choose.

The used VFR's are a good choice as well, though i am not a fan of the BS VTEC crap they put on it just something else to worry about breaking, same with abs on a bike.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Originally posted by jdgun_13

The used VFR's are a good choice as well, though i am not a fan of the BS VTEC crap they put on it just something else to worry about breaking, same with abs on a bike.
the vtec breaking is hardly a concern, for one thing, its a honda. another point hondas been putting that system on cars for the past 18 years, if there were any bugs they have been long worked out.

i think the vfr is just what you are looking for, comfortable 2 up riding, 800cc engine has plenty of power and the v4 makes great torque. if you feel so inclined ive seen them at track days tearing it up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same problem last year. I went from an 036R to sn 03 VFR. If you want smooth, then this is the way to go. However, if you are looking for more torque, I would suggest getting an older FZ1. The carburation is perfect, and they are cheaper to boot. Don't get me wrong, I love the VFR, but sometimes I really miss the power of my 6R. I think the suspension makes the most difference as far as comfort, as the ergonomics aren't as different as I had expected. Overall, I commuted about 110 miles round trip 4-5 days a week, and I couldn't do that on my Ninja. BTW, I will be selling the VFR, and getting a new M109R. Good luck.

·
Registered
757 Posts
How about a big sport-tourer? Like an FJR or a Hayabusa? Many think that a Busa is a squid bike, I find them to be a perfect lazy man's bike. Very comfortable, lots of power, smooth ride and practically no shifting required. FJR though is even more suitable for wife/luggage-hauling, if you're ok with the looks.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by ginofultano

the vtec breaking is hardly a concern, for one thing, its a honda. another point hondas been putting that system on cars for the past 18 years, if there were any bugs they have been long worked out.

i think the vfr is just what you are looking for, comfortable 2 up riding, 800cc engine has plenty of power and the v4 makes great torque. if you feel so inclined ive seen them at track days tearing it up.
The only thing I have about the VTECH on the VFR is that you're taking a system that was developed for use in 120 BHP 1.8l I4's spinning to 7k RPM's and adapting it for use on a 120 BHP 0.8l V4 spinning to 12k RPM's. I'm sure they've got it all worked out, but it makes me nervous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.