Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a track day and I had less then a year experience. I had taken the normal MSF course but no performance riding schools...

I wasn't nervous once I got going, before I got on the track I had butterfly's though :)

I'd say relax, and just watch the people around you you'll fit in line someplace, hehe.
The only real close call I had was coming into a corner, a 9R tried to pass me under braking on the inside, but I could tell he was not gonna make the turn in time, so I went way wide, almost onto the grass, and its a good thing I did, cause he straight lined it right in front of me.. stayed up though.
For some reason at my trackday the only bikes that crashes were Yami's, 2 or 3 of them.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Everyone is a bit uneasy at first. Just take to the track and ride the way you know how, and you will be fine.

If you would like a bit of guidance, I suggest CLASS, which visits Mid Ohio in July. They excel at putting the newcomer at ease. Check them out at classrides.com.

Let me know what you decide.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yeah I've been thinking about CLASS....

just afraid I'll get addicted to track days, and I just can't afford that...;)

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you want to really learn how to ride that is the best thing you could do for yourself. Start out in the school groups. They won't start you off very fast at all, but by the end of the day you'll be picking up some speed and feeling comfortable. It might take many trackdays in the school group before your ready for the next level. Once you find that running in the school group is no fun because you want to go faster then move up to the next level. There is an organization called Sport Bike Track Time ( www.sportbiketracktime.com ) that has a really great program for the mid-west. I'll be at Putnam with them this weekend. The school groups are very safe and the advanced groups are safe. The problem group is the intermediate group because of HUGE differences in skill levels. The important thing is just don't ride over your head. If your scaring yourself slow down. It not a race, and there are no prizes to be won, but it is the greatest thrill. Like Andy_7676 said the scariest thing is getting addicted to it (like me), and spending butt loads of cash. Hope this helps, and I highly recommend it!

Jef
ZX-6RR 2003

·
Registered
303 Posts
what is the average price to do a track day and how are the sessions set up? i know it will vary from track to track but i just want some general information.. thanks

yellow = fast

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm planning on 1-2 track days this year. Friend recently asked me about going to Putnum and thinking Mid Ohio. I have been riding on street for my 3rd year now and feel fairly comfortable with my 6. My experience is tearing up the back roads with hills and blind curves which is dangerous itself. However, I can't say how I'll do on the track and feel a little nervous getting out there. I know they usually have classification groups but should I go through a riding school first?

What worries me most is just being out there with many riders at a time. When I'm riding hard its usually when no one else is around. Or should I just relax? Any comments and suggestions regarding a track day is welcomed.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I was more worried about what other rookies might do, sort of like what CDN described. There's a really tight corner at Shubie, and I could just imagine someone braking too late and plowing into the back of me...it didn't happen LOL.

There was a 6R that crashed though. Not sure what happend (it was behind us) but ut was during the first session where passing was allowed. Also saw an F4 run off in the corner I described above. Did exactly what I was scared of, but he bailed on the corner and never even tried to make it.

I was nervous at first, but it was an excited nervous. It's a blast and you'll end up pushing your limits a lot more than the you'll do on the street. Go for it!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
And even safer for guys who are DOING the passing. Most new track guys don't realize that the best way to get outta the way of the better riders is just to hold your line, don't panic, and forget that you are about to be overtaken... the faster guys will get around you as long as you don't overreact...

Trust me, I've been on BOTH sides of that coin...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do Mid-Ohio !! Its a great track, I did a Penguin school there several years ago and loved it ! Its a very fun track and you will be amazed by how much of a better rider it will make you !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.