Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am thinking of purchasing a 09 zx6r next yr but because ther not out yet no one can answer my question so i thought id post here seeing as the bike iwll be similar. I wanna no whats the biggest difference from a 250 to a 600 besides the power when u wrench the throttle. Is the bike any bigger then the 250? or similar? Do they take the Unleaded fuel/premium? And maintenance wise is it similar to eveyr other bike or are the tired heaps to repair? And with insurance whats that like? Going from a 250 to a 600 will the insurance company charge me more? Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Aren't you the guy that keeps getting "flamed" for saying and doing stupid things?

Also, to your post, much of that info can be had by simply searching the internet. Hell, go on www.kawasaki.com and you can compare the two right there on the website. The insurance is something you need to call them about, not something we can just figure out here on the form. It all depends on your record, age, and a few other things of that nature.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i meant in another forum on this board. im sure i saw something somewhere.. whatever, it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Brakes, suspension, insurance, handling, tires, mileage. Tons of difference.

To sum them up, a zx6r is a track ready race bike. A 250 is a great street bike and tons of fun. ZX6R is a horrendous beginner bike and the 250 is a great one.

The only reason I would suggest getting a zx6r as a first bike is so I can have spare parts for when you crash it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brakes, suspension, insurance, handling, tires, mileage. Tons of difference.

To sum them up, a zx6r is a track ready race bike. A 250 is a great street bike and tons of fun. ZX6R is a horrendous beginner bike and the 250 is a great one.

The only reason I would suggest getting a zx6r as a first bike is so I can have spare parts for when you crash it.
yo dag i started on a 600...... but yeah you prolly will at least drop it once cuz i droped mine twice but that was cuz i was doing stupid shit lol.... just take a motorcycle driving class and you'll be fine man dont get a 250 cuz later your going to regret getting one your going to wish you got a 600 but thats just me its all up to you....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Last June I bought my first bike, a zx6r. Heard all the same shit how stupid it was to start on 600, but I never came close to dropping or wrecking it. Must depend on the persons smarts

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
You crashed the hell out of your 250 because you were foolish and irresponsible, along with being inexperienced. I'm thinking a moped may be better suited to you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
any bike can kill you, any bike can be good to you. it depends solely on the idiot with his hands on the grips.

I learned to ride on a CBR F4 and didn't loop it, crash it, drop it or look like an idiot on it. Any bike you don't respect will kill you, regardless of the cc's.

I quit riding for a few years and got a 650R ninja to start back up with and had NO problems at all. Even had friends that learned to ride on it. Its a great beginner bike that you don't feel like you need to sell after one season (like a 250).

Now I have a 6R and of course it is more 'dangerous' than a 250, 650R, etc... but at that point, 'dangerous' is a relative term for somebody that dosen't have common sense.

Bottom line is if you think you are going to kill yourself on a 6R, you probably don't belong on ANY motorcycle.

--------------------------

Now to answer the rest of your questions:

Hi, i am thinking of purchasing a 09 zx6r next yr but because ther not out yet no one can answer my question so i thought id post here seeing as the bike iwll be similar. I wanna no whats the biggest difference from a 250 to a 600 besides the power when u wrench the throttle. Is the bike any bigger then the 250? or similar? Do they take the Unleaded fuel/premium? And maintenance wise is it similar to eveyr other bike or are the tired heaps to repair? And with insurance whats that like? Going from a 250 to a 600 will the insurance company charge me more? Thanks.

There are so many differences between a 250 and a 600. So many it isn't worth even getting into. You are looking at the same differences between a Mazda Miata off the lot and a spec racing Miata. They are both bikes. They are both made by Kawasaki. They both have 2 wheels and handlebars. Thats about where the similarities end.

It is a bigger bike than a 250 by a great deal. The 250 is really just a scaled down version of a sport bike.

The 6r says 90 octane or better... my 650R didn't need "premium" so I would imagine the 250 would also run on lesser octane (not that it matters... you are talking about saving less than $1 to fill it up with 87 vs higher octane so I wouldn't worry about it anyway).

Insurance depends on where you have it. Some insure based on you AND the bike you are on, some weigh more on YOU vs the bike, and some go more on the bike. Regardless, I am almost 100% certain that no matter where you were, your insurance would go up considerably from a 250 to a 600.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Stop criticizing the guy...if he dies, whatever....you don't know him and you wouldn't care anyways and one less reckless rider on the road. If he's responsible and lives then good for him and the biker community.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I do care, people like him make insurance go up and are the reason for legislation against motorcycles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you are going to start out on a 600, start out on a used one mainly because of depreciation, and if you like going fast you will want a liter bike soon enough. I got my brand new '07 ZX-6R in April of this year as my first bike and I have already ptu 9K+ miles on it. I want to get a 10R or a Busa, but I will lose too much money if I sell the 6R so I am going to have to keep it and buy a bigger bike also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts