Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The price is right at $3100, and I think I can talk them down since it's out of season. Just trying to get some opinions since I know nothing about ducs. Anyone know anyone with one of these? Need some opinions. I love my 7, but is this just too good to pass up?







this is my 7

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
I've always been a fan of the duc SS. What year is it? That seems incredibly cheap. Make sure its been well maintained also. If its been neglected it could become a headache.

Shit, if its in good shape and you don't want it, I might come up there and take it for that price!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's a 99, no idea about the miles. The description says it has some minor nicks and scratches, but the fairings aren't cracked. I can't speak for the mechanical condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
the duc ss is an awesome bike, but man is it ugly. keep your zx7 fairings and slap them on the ducati ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
DON'T DO IT! It is NOT an awesome bike, it's a dog. Trust me, I'm a service advisor at a dealership that sells and works on Ducati, among other brands. You are trading a great, fast, reliable and indestructible bike for.... You know what Ducati snobs tell me all the time? "I don't like those Jap bikes, they are too perfect. Nothing's ever wrong with them. Our bikes have character..." That sort of bullshit. But hey, your choice. If you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars each year on very important maintenance just to have those 6 fancy letters on your tank - sure, go for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,663 Posts
if it's a 1000 ds (which if it's 99, it's not), it's not too slow. but compared to your 7, it'll be a mutt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
Originally posted by moloko
DON'T DO IT! It is NOT an awesome bike, it's a dog. Trust me, I'm a service advisor at a dealership that sells and works on Ducati, among other brands. You are trading a great, fast, reliable and indestructible bike for.... You know what Ducati snobs tell me all the time? "I don't like those Jap bikes, they are too perfect. Nothing's ever wrong with them. Our bikes have character..." That sort of bullshit. But hey, your choice. If you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars each year on very important maintenance just to have those 6 fancy letters on your tank - sure, go for it.
Had a buddy that had one exactly like that. I would keep the 7.
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
I don't mind the money in maintenance, especially since I do most of the stuff myself...the only thing I don't do is valve adjustments. Everything else I do. Shit, I spend more money in a year in gas in my bikes than I do in maintenance. To me, that makes the price not that bad at all.

In my experience, the difference is like a tuned but still reliable Honda rice burner versus a Ferrari. That Honda will last you effing forever...they never break, they leak oil from day one but the motor will still run through hundreds of thousands of miles...they're practically indestructible until you start REALLY tuning them. But no matter what you do to it, it'll still feel like a $10k to $15k car. The way the doors close, the way the seat is supported, the way the steering wheel turns, the way the shifter shifts, the sloppyness to the pedals, the cheapness of the parts, the way plastic bits flex and some stuff can just be snapped right off...you can tune a Honda to go, turn, and stop well, but it'll NEVER feel as solid, aggressive, purpose-built, or high-quality as a Ferrari. Same thing with the Duc. My first impression on my first ride was that even though it's a Ducati with all the low-profit-margin quirks that they had in the mid-late 90's, everything about it just felt...tighter. It's hard to explain, but that analagy about the Honda versus Ferrari instantly came to mind. It wasn't the power, or the pull, or the brakes. It handles ungodly good, like nothing I've ridden before, and stops with a purpose, but that wasn't it. It was just the solid, hand-assembled tightness...the tolerances on the parts...just everything about it was squared away. Even if you didn't know shit about Ducati's, you'd sit on it and as long as you know enough about riding a bike to feel the differences, you'd KNOW that the Ducati was more expensive.

The maintenance is a factor for most people, though. Valve adjustments, timing belt tension check, plugs fluids and filters at every 6k, every 12k or 2 years you replace the timing belts, and the 12k services throw in a few extra maintenance things that aren't really neccisary, like replacing and/or greasing all the bearings, etc. And the price for everything varies drastically, depending on how rare Ducati dealers are in your area. 6k service is anywhere from $450 to $900, 12k service is anywhere from $700 to $1200. For me, though, I'm competent enough to do everything except for the valve adjustments, just because I don't feel like messing with the desmodromic valve train just yet...it's still pretty alien to me...but there's a guy locally who's an ex-ducati mechanic, and he does a LOT of work out of his garage for a lot of Ducatisti in the area...so I do everything except the valves, then take it to him, and I end up getting the 12k service done for parts plus like $300 or so in labor (you have to pull the heads to shim the valves).

Oh, and Ducati doesn't maintain any US-based warehouses anymore, so if a dealer doesn't have a part in stock (which they usually don't) they have to order it from Italy. The shipping time is 5-7 business days from Italy, it's really not bad, but the dealer by me REALLY sucks ass, and REALLY milks the fact that they're the only Duc dealer within 90 miles. I ordered a part from them last Tuesday, they ran my card, and didn't place the order with Ducati until last Friday. So I'm STILL waiting for the part, two weeks later. So if you buy a Duc, make sure you have a decent dealer nearby first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
you made a lot of good points in your last post, but let me say this, isnt there an online dealer for ducati parts like ronayers is for the japanese bikes? even if you are ordering the parts from a supplier in europe, you would be side stepping the pain in the ass dealership. just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
If your itching for a new bike, go with a newer 7. I have had both ZX7R & SS and the 7 is hands down a better all around bike. Trust me, I even favor it over my new RR.
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Originally posted by ginofultano
you made a lot of good points in your last post, but let me say this, isnt there an online dealer for ducati parts like ronayers is for the japanese bikes? even if you are ordering the parts from a supplier in europe, you would be side stepping the pain in the ass dealership. just a thought.
Yeah, BikeBandit.com has Ducati parts for order, but they have to ship them from Italy, too, and no companies anywhere other than a dealer have parts fisches from before 2000, so I have to go through dealers for my 98 916.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
i have sent you a pm about the gentleman in this picture. he owns the 900 supersport and absolutely loves it. his name is bill and he is a good friend of mine. he also owns a 600rr. although the honda is an amazing machine he prefers the ducati.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
Yeah, BikeBandit.com has Ducati parts for order, but they have to ship them from Italy, too, and no companies anywhere other than a dealer have parts fisches from before 2000, so I have to go through dealers for my 98 916.
UGGHH! Don't even get me started on Ducati parts shipping! Regular order takes 2 months sometimes. VOR usually means "overnight" to everyone, but Ducati. As far as they're concerned, it means at least a week, if they feel like shipping... It's embarrassing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
I'd stick with the 7r with a new paint job. Main issue with duc's are maintenance, parts and dealer qty, don't know about you but I dont want to wait 3-8 weeks on parts and service to get my bike on the road especially when you only have 6-7 months of real riding weather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been thinking about painting her this winter anyway, so that might be a solid idea. I have considered going with a newer 7 or bigger, but they aren't in my price range at the moment. This one is so cheap, and I mean, it's a ducati for 3 grand! I found out it has a salvage title, so that's why it's for short money, but it only has some scrapes on one fairing, nothing too bad. The guy at the dealership I talked to said that my 7 will walk on it any day, and that if I wanted something faster than my 7, this wasn't the bike. What I'm really into is that ducati sound.....gives me a stiffy everytime I hear it! [:M42]
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Originally posted by nickkawi
I'd stick with the 7r with a new paint job. Main issue with duc's are maintenance, parts and dealer qty, don't know about you but I dont want to wait 3-8 weeks on parts and service to get my bike on the road especially when you only have 6-7 months of real riding weather.
Well, realistic time frame is two weeks for parts, and then however long it takes you to get off your ass and do the work. Me personally, I'll have the bike on the road next day after recieving the parts if I have to burn the candle at both ends to do it. Sure, the dealer will take forever. That's why you don't let the dealer do it. lol

moloko -> Damn, dude, you're REALLY anti-Ducati...did you work for them in the mid-late 90's or something? Ducati Corporate is MUCH better now at parts shipments and placement than when they had the huge losses going on in the 90's. Ducati shipped my sprag clutch same-day when they recieved the order from my dealership. It's just that it took the dealer almost a week to place the order in the first place, and they shipped the part "whenever-it-gets-there-Air". [xx(]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt



moloko -> Damn, dude, you're REALLY anti-Ducati...did you work for them in the mid-late 90's or something? Ducati Corporate is MUCH better now at parts shipments and placement than when they had the huge losses going on in the 90's. Ducati shipped my sprag clutch same-day when they recieved the order from my dealership. It's just that it took the dealer almost a week to place the order in the first place, and they shipped the part "whenever-it-gets-there-Air". [xx(]

I'm not exactly "anti-Ducati", they make fine motorcycles, albeit very specifically oriented. Their superbikes are superb track tools and a complete nightmare for daily riding, unlike Japanese bikes. If I had the money, an S4 monster, an S1000sport and a MS900 would be in my garage yesterday! What makes me "anti-" is the mere fact that they charge thousands of dollars more than Japanese manufacturers for motorcycles that are LESS reliable (note, I didn't say "UNreliable"), LESS quick, LESS user-friendly than their Japanese counterparts. Which proves yet again how much of that MSRP is in the bike itself, and how much is in the logo.
You're right, things have changed for the better drastically since the 90s, and parts are easIER to get, yet for the money people like you spent on your bikes initially, people like me better be able to deliver outstanding service. Meaning, you should've never had to wait 2 weeks for parts. Do you know WHY your dealer didn't submit your order immediately? I think I do. Ducati has a minimum order requirement, which essentially ties our hands until we can collect enough bikes that need parts. Luckily, with their reliability, that's not a problem;)j/k
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top