Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider, got an ER-6N and I have been out for a few rides, loving it so far. Yesterday evening I arrived home, popped the bike into the garage and just as I was closing the door, this little cap popped onto the floor - just under the rear wheel on the left hand side.

I've had a look around, but I can't see where it has come from. Does anyone recognise what it is, or where it goes?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for quick reply. Had the seat off, there appears to be only the brake reservoir, which thankfully has it's cap on (That is about twice the size of this one that dropped off). Had another look all round and can't see anything obvious (Probably looking straight at it !) .

Thankfully as this one has a hole in the middle, guess it is a dust cap not a liquid cap, none-the-less I am a bit worried.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Definitely a cap of some sort, but the "made in Australia" inscription is weird, probably an aftermarket part.

Did you buy the bike new? If not, maybe the previous owner carried this as a precaution, if all the usual caps are in place that is :Hmmmm:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi GR rider,

Yes it's a new UK one. So I am thinking more and more that this doesn't belong to the bike. It's not a very robust cap, and the fact it has a vent hole in the centre of it seems it wouldn't be for retaining any of the various liquids.

I have had the right body cover off today to fully check out the coolant assembly and that is all intact. Had another scout round and found nothing missing, also nothing in the manual that looks likely.

So both Brake reservoirs have good quality caps on them with the "only use dot 4 brake fluid", Oil, Coolant all looks Ok.

It is possible that this got flipped up off the road, and when I parked up and put the bike on the side stand it just dislodged and fell down.

I will hang on to it, and at least when I find a local Kawi dealer to get the 600 mile service done, I will take it along with me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd probably just take all the fairings off and check every possible cap just to be on the safe side. Assuming you haven't already done that.

But, it could just be some random cap that had fallen off some other vehicle and gotten somehow stuck or wedged under your fender and just happened to come off when you were at home. I'm sure weirder things have happened and if you double check all the caps that you should have, the only other reasonable explanation would be that somebody dropped it somewhere in the chassis and it finally worked its way free.

Going to the lock focus site reveals that they sell caps like that for many different vehicles and even office furniture. So, it might not even be from a vehicle.

Oh, and it's not necessarily a vent hole. Caps somewhat similar to that sometimes are meant to have a bolt that goes through that center hole. IIRC, the oil filter is held in place by a cap with a hole like that. But, it's pretty clear that this isn't from that. I doubt you'd notice the complete lack of oil in your engine or the huge amount of oil on the floor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update (does not belong to bike)

Had the first service, this cap is just a bit of road debris kicked up whilst out riding.

So as far as it goes the mystery is sufficiently solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts