Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So check this auction on ebay out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2439711552&category=49990

Almost new 999R for $6,900? I emailed him to be registered to bid and this is what the guy sent back:

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my bikeSuperbike : 2003 Ducati : Superb

VIN: ZDM1UB5W83B006840

First of all I must inform you that currently I'm in Italy and i have to let you know that the bike is here with me and it is in a perfect condition,I am the first owner of the bike; I bought it directly from an authorized ducati dealer.

The bike it has a clear title wich you will receive it with the bike.It can be registerd into your name,so stay cool about this.

I have to tell you that I have other serious offers that I have to consider and I will
make a decision regarding this sale function of time of payment and price.

The price I hope to obtain is 6900USD (this price includes the shipping and insurance) and if you agree with this price we can start to complete the transaction.

The payment must be done using a money order service.I prefer money order because in this way i will ship the bike in the same day you make the payment.

You will arrange payment through Western Union . In case you want me to shipp you the bike right now you have to make me a confirmation for 3000 $ of the amount of money and after you receive and inspect the bike you have to send me the rest of the money.

The inspection period for it is 30 days.

Also,I can accept 1000$ through from the amount prior and in this case I will take you as a serious and possible buyer( this way I will loose all the nonpaying bidders that I occur everyday) and arrange a further deal but in this case you have to come in person to the bike's location to see the bike and take it back with you or you can send a friend or agent that lives near by to inspect the bike and pay the rest of the money.

After you've completed the transfer you will receive a confirmation that will alow me to track the transfer.Here are the details that i need:

-sender name and address
-receiver name
-exact amount wired
-MTCN # (10 digits)
-if it is possible a scanned copy of the receipt format .JPEG for me to add to the files

As soon as the payment will be confirmed and the money properly sent, i will IMMEDIATELY proceed with shipping if you sent me the 3000 $ of the amount or I will hold the bike for you if you've deposited only 1000$.

In case you've payed the 20% of money I will ship the bike via Lufthansa Airplane Cargo insured and It will take 72 hours until you will have it at your door.

The shipping is free.

The 20% of payment are fully refundable if for any reason you do not accept the bike or if the bike has scratches, hidden defects, or it is not as advertised. I will even pay for the shipping back to my location if you reject the bike but since it is a state of the art Ducati and works and looks perfectly I think it would not get to this.

What do you think? This has to be a con.

·
Registered
940 Posts
a lot of shady shit goin' on there....

at first he had me....after reading into it I felt as though he's just taking a ton of money w/o guaranteeing the bike to anyone.....

who knows.....I've seen stranger things

·
Registered
778 Posts
It's a SCAM - if it looks too good to be true it probably is!

On ebay he says you will be registered as the orginal owner, but on the email he said he's the orginal owner. He says it is one sale locally in a show-room. I don't know about you but I don't know any dealers that will take your bike and put it up on a SHOW-ROOM box to sell it for you and for $6900 US.

And WHY would anyone wire money through Western Union... because you can't get it back once its sent and it can't be traced.

On ebay he says a deposit of 300,000.00 (WTF is that)

It's just too sloppy and it's not consitant with his other ebay sales. All of the items were sold out of WA State or Canada.. Where the hell did Italy come from?

And Just look at the tires.. NOT a mile on them and that shock is just too clean to have 2600 miles on it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
that fool is crazy. get his address and send him a picture of your middle finger.he's trying to scam someone and dont let it be you.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This is a common scam on eBay. He uses a pic of a bike he does not own, until the genuine owner stumbles upon the auction. Some people have fallen for it, and eBay seems unable to stop him.

Check out this thread and this thread on gixxer.com.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by speedvlaze
Look at his feedback. He has a history of selling silverware!!!
From the gixxer.com thread, "Take a look at all the seller's previous auctions. It's all childrens books and toys. Someone got their ebay id and changed the email on it."

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Dude those scams are everywhere. I thought stuff like that only happened on sites with free classifieds, but there were several auctions on ebay just like this one recently that made me believe they are everywhere. I guess the old adage applies; if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
They are not only on eBay but in Cycletrader, too. The ad copy is gradually getting better. Some list stateside address by the email will come back with an overseas address usually with some hard luck story like the bike belonged to his son who was killed in an accident. I have turned then in to both eBay and Cycletrader but they don't do anyting. I guess they figure they've got their money. Every restricted (private) auction on eBay where you have to register before you bid has been a scam.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaRider
Dude those scams are everywhere. I thought stuff like that only happened on sites with free classifieds, but there were several auctions on ebay just like this one recently that made me believe they are everywhere. I guess the old adage applies; if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Totally, those assholes are pulling the same shit on www.cycletrader, and www.recycler.com, etc. They insist on wiring money to them first, or through an escrow company they pick.. Which is a total crock. When you see misspelled words on the main page, and when the escrow site says "NO INETER NET FRUADES" you know its a scam. Those son of a bitches screwed one of my friends and there was nothing he could do about it.

So just becareful man.[:M7]

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Look at the pictures carefully before bidding on something like this. The bike on the pictures does not have a mile on it. The brake discs are not used. He says 2026 miles, no way.;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Someone in my unit fell for the scam. I cant beleave anyone would fall for this. Whats keeping me from stealing the bike if he does ship it to me?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by FL636
Someone in my unit fell for the scam. I cant beleave anyone would fall for this. Whats keeping me from stealing the bike if he does ship it to me?
Exactly!!! I can't believe people are falling in these. The only way I would buy an online bike would be finding a bike which is somewhere I can drive to, give it a quick ride and pay it on the day I pick it up. Let's say you close a deal online, the guy ships it and you recive a crashed bike. The seller might say that it happened during transportation etc.:(
When I bought my bike, I checked online prices and printed out a few. Found a bike in a dealer which is about 30km's away. Went over there and asked for a test ride. Decided I want it after riding, bargained for a deal by showing online prices. Signed a binding order agreement with the guy so he made the bike (the plate etc.) ready for me. And one day later paid all of it cash on handover. Took the bike, rode home with a big smile in my face.:D

Do it that way. Give a ride to the used bike u want to buy. Pay after riding and being happy with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.