Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I fell again lol.

Was on the expressway this time going around a curve in the middle lane. I was doing about 5mph faster than traffic but this one car decides to change lanes right as I was about to pass them. I got off the throttle but the bike wasnt slowing down quick enough and I started to panic and hit the front brakes and the front wheel washed out. I was doing about 75-80 so i slid for quite a while. Had all my gear on so no cuts except on my knee and my hands as I had texitle gloves on which got ripped up.

The crazy thing is I was able to have a whole conversation in my head while I was sliding. At first I was thinking oh shit im laying on top of my bike, then I was thinking wow this pavement is seriously moving fast because I was just staring at it for about 2 seconds. Then I thought to myself hey, im sick and tired of looking at this pavement slide across my face, I need to get to my bike, so I put my elbows up in a attempt to get up and then next thing I know Im tumbling. So got to thinking again hey lets use my knee to stop from tumbling, nope not working, ok lets use my hand to stop, nope still not working, shit what should i do????? Forget it ill just keep tumbling. Finally stopped and went to go check on my bike and it was fine. Just got more scratched up on the same side it was originally scratched up on.

So to sum it up I realized what went wrong, instead of looking at my exit i focused on the grand am and went into the grand am. Second dont tell me to sell the bike, we have to much love for each other to part ways. But Im alive and I am thanking jesus for that!!!

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know but honestly if I was on a 250 the same thing would of happened. i fucked up and focused on the car instead of my bike....ive learned alot of lessons tonight....trust me..

· Registered
1,074 Posts
i know but honestly if I was on a 250 the same thing would of happened. i fucked up and focused on the car instead of my bike....ive learned alot of lessons tonight....trust me..
be safe, man. before you run out of luck...

s3aturnr

· Registered
17,476 Posts
no. you may be forgetting that you are riding a SUPERSPORT bike, which is essentially a race bike. you have 2 HUGE front disc brakes with 8 huge pistons driving the calipers. you panic and grab it like a its a bicycle brake and you WILL go down.

now the 250 has a single disc in the front, much harder to throw yourself over the bars. more forgiving.

why have you NOT taken the MSF course yet? when will you learn? when you lose a finger? an arm? a foot? a leg? dead? sorry to say, riding motorcycles is srs bsns

· Registered
729 Posts
I won't give you any grief as your feeling bad enough.
Very glad to hear you are ok,I have no advise for you other than
to not fall into what I call a Comfortable State of Mind.
When your on your bike, it's the 2 of you against the world, and the bike by
itself isn't going to be able to save you from yourself. :)

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to tell you the truth, ive taken the MSF but it was 2 years before i bought my bike so I probably should go back and take it again.

· Registered
463 Posts
swallow some pride there boss, downsize and try to learn what the bike is telling you.
This is the most important advice you will ever get on this forum.

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i was thinking about what all the police and paramedics where telling me. They kept asking me if It was rideable and I was like Idk. They kept saying yea you probably can ride it, it probably doesnt have any front brake though. They kept saying that over and over like your front brake is shot. Even though it was fine I just realized they ment to not use the front brake....

· Registered
17,476 Posts
yea i was thinking about what all the police and paramedics where telling me. They kept asking me if It was rideable and I was like Idk. They kept saying yea you probably can ride it, it probably doesnt have any front brake though. They kept saying that over and over like your front brake is shot. Even though it was fine I just realized they ment to not use the front brake....
your front brake does 90% of the braking, why would they tell you not to use it by telling you its shot?

there is probably something wrong with it.

· Registered
217 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that, man. I don't think it's any of our places to criticize you and tell you what you should have done. We were not there. We do not know and will not know the full context of the situation. It's easy to sit here and say what you should have done. Anyway, it sounds like you know what you did wrong, and you will HOPEFULLY learn from this. You prefaced this by saying you wrecked again, and I'm really hoping it wasn't the same kind of situation.

a) I'm really glad you were wearing full gear. You're a lucky SOB to have come from this with minor road rash.
b) Whether you crashed or not, it's always a good idea to take the MSF course again.
c) Hope this is the last time you have a major wreck.

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
your front brake does 90% of the braking, why would they tell you not to use it by telling you its shot?

there is probably something wrong with it.
like I believing they were saying that because of what happened. Like they were telling me I shouldnt of used the front brake in that situation

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm really sorry to hear that, man. I don't think it's any of our places to criticize you and tell you what you should have done. We were not there. We do not know and will not know the full context of the situation. It's easy to sit here and say what you should have done. Anyway, it sounds like you know what you did wrong, and you will HOPEFULLY learn from this. You prefaced this by saying you wrecked again, and I'm really hoping it wasn't the same kind of situation.

a) I'm really glad you were wearing full gear. You're a lucky SOB to have come from this with minor road rash.
b) Whether you crashed or not, it's always a good idea to take the MSF course again.
c) Hope this is the last time you have a major wreck.
Naw it wasnt the same situation, the 1st time was by myself in a parking lot. Trust me Im never goinig anywhere again without some armor and a helmet. Im just sitting here looking at all my gear and the jacket is ripped everywhere. The helmet is no longer black but white on the right side and my gloves which didnt really do much protection is ripped up... Pants got some holes in them as well but are wearable...I need to go buy me some knee pads though. I wonder do they make anything to protect your hips???

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i highly doubt the EMT's were giving you riding tips.
lol idk man they didnt even see my bike...I just told them what happened and thats when they started to say that.

· Registered
297 Posts
I got off the throttle
This is where you screwed up. Being in the middle of a turn, letting off the throttle stood your bike up. You didn't mention which lane the car was merging from, but I'd assume it was from the opposite side as the turn, since you hamfisted the brakes afterwords. This, and as you mentioned, target fixation.

Oh, forgot to answer this
I wonder do they make anything to protect your hips?
Check with the manufacturer of your pants. Frank Thomas stitches in pockets for hip pads, but don't include them. You can buy pads separately from them though. Many brands do this.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.