Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was delayed due to the attack on the Italian headquarters in Iraq, but this would be one hell of a sight to see....

Loris Capirossi will be involved in one final race on the Ducati before the end of 2003. However, the Italian former 250cc World Champion won’t be pitting his 332.4 km/h Desmosedici against other motorcycles on this occasion, but taking on an F104 Starfire of the 9th Fighter Wing and the Italian airbase of Grazzanise (Caserta).

This weekend the Ducati-fanatical squadron, who have painted one of their jets bright red, will take on their favourite rider in a head to head race between the Desmosedici and F104 Starfire. The two red “rockets” will race down two parallel tracks, prepared especially for the event by the military authorities. Special electronic equipment will measure the time and velocity of the motorcycle and jet.

Whilst Saturday afternoon will be dedicated to testing, finding the best set-up for the motorcycle and aeroplane, and guaranteeing safety procedures for the event, the race will take place on Sunday. Vittoriano Guareschi, Ducati’s MotoGP tester, will partner up with Capirossi for the race. The event will also include a restricted number of Ducati fans who will be able to walk the runway and admire the two machines.

vs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The bike is gonna KILL the plane!!! From a stop I bet it takes a fair bit of time to get the jet up to speed. As long as its a short race the jet wont have a chance!

·
Registered
493 Posts
the jet will surely start from a cruising speed in the sky, anyone ever see the test of a twin turbo 427 vette 1/4 mile race a blue angel i think it was, vette won

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Haven't any of you guys flown on a small jet before? They are not slow. They hold the brakes, throw the engines on full, and let it rip. That's a small commercial jet. That thing is a military fighter. I'll bet it will catch the Duc.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yeah but were talking about a ground run. Does anyone have the F1 vs. the F14 vid. It's sweet to watch. The F1 car smokes it's ass!:D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
big deal, hoew many planes travel on the ground only?

still neat I guess....

I would rather the GP bike versus something more pratical like a F1 car etc....

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
All depends on the distance. The jet can use up to 1 mile of runway to take off and will be traveling over 400MPH at the end of it.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
These 'races' with bikes and cars against fighter jets are so dumb. The jet is on the ground!!! That's almost like racing a Gixxer 1000 with the engine removed against a 3 year-old on a tricycle. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, it's all pretty relative. I remember seeing a vid where they raced an RC car against a ferrari. The catch was the distance was only about 5 feet or so from start to finish. Some advertising gimick so they could claim there RC car was able to beat a full size ferrari... PLEASE![:M42]

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Originally posted by -gary
All depends on the distance. The jet can use up to 1 mile of runway to take off and will be traveling over 400MPH at the end of it.
Gary?!??!! You know how much trouble someone would be in if they even THOUGHT of making a take-off run over at over 200? You'd be grounded for a few weeks for that kind of stunt. The Block 40 F-16C/D DASH-1 (the flight manual pilots strap to their thigh) states that a ground run over 190 is "extremely dangerous." I'd make a photo copy of it to post but I think that's illegal.

If the Duc ever gets put up against an F-104, heh, that'll be a joke. A 40+ year-old aircraft (it first entered service in 1958) which, get this, was originally powered by a Buick LOL jet engine (now a GE J-79, the same thing that went into the F-4) that can carry less - in terms of weight - ordanance than the total thrust almost all modern fighter jets engines produce at full military power (no afterburner).

I wonder if they'll take bets on this in Vegas?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.