Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking thru the service manual. it doesnt appear to be that involved to replace it. i wanna try and do this myself to save some money and learn more about my bike. have a few questions so far:

1. what exactly do i need to order to do the job? is it a whole kit that comes with everything? where is the best place to get it from?

2. what did u guys do about this "special tool"? do i absolutely need it?

•Remove:
Friction Plates, Steel Plates
Spring, Spring Seat
Clutch Hub Nut [A]
#9675;Holding the sub clutch hub , remove the nut.
Special Tool - Clutch Holder [C]: 57001-1243

any other tricks/tips u can share thats not in the manual? ima keep reading the instructions and will post more questions if i need to. thanks.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
why are you replacing your clutch? I was going to say something smartass about getting a Muzzys clutch, but you have more posts than me, so that takes the fun out of it.. :(:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just realized im almost to 3k posts. i feel so old. lol

im replacing it b/c it has 12k miles, a lot of those miles at the track by the previous owner, and a problem that i posted about a while ago that hasnt really gone away. and im bored so i feel like learning something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess next time i should make a stupid post about a muzzy clutch [:M26] maybe then people will try to help out more [:M15]

btw thanks to the ONE person who decided to actually answer my questions in the other thread

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just remembered something to watch out for -- I haven't looked in the FSM to see if this bike is like this, but let me explain it and you can look it up to find out.

On Hondas, the clutch cable pulls on that little lever sticking out of the cover. That lever has a rod that goes down into the cover that has a little cam on it. There's a little plunger-doobie (technical terms, don't get confused :D ) that this cam makes poke in and out to release the clutch. That plunger-doobie is just sitting in a hole in the inside of the cover. So if you have the bike on the sidestand and pull the cover off, it falls right out of the cover, and over into the engine. They're apparently coated with some type of difficulty-inducing layer that makes them always roll to a spot that you can't get to with any of the tools that you have on hand, so then you have to take off the oil pan to fish it out. Pain in the ass.

So check the manual to see if it's a similar mechanism, and if it is, try to remove the cover from the top, tilting the top of the cover away from the bike as you remove it so that hopefully it'll stay in there.

Oh and watch your hands - all of the edges of the aluminum inside are machined into finger-removing blades, I guess to add challenge to any engine work. So work like you're playing the game Operation.

Damn, that makes it sound a lot harder than it really is [:M45]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.