Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my Targa Fender eliminator kit this past weekend and I noticed a winding sound coming from my Rear Tail Light relay (Im using the Tail Lights the kit came with). Is this sound normal? I will turn on the blinker, left or right, and it makes a winding sound then goes to normal clicking. It never made this sound when I had the stock lights on before. Wondering if any of you have had this problem and what you did to fix it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
647 Posts
thats why you shoulda done it yourself and not pay 80bucks for some metal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As a complete hi-jack - does this kit require cutting the stock turn signal and plate light wires or does it come with the correct connectors?

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a complete hi-jack - does this kit require cutting the stock turn signal and plate light wires or does it come with the correct connectors?
None of them use stock connectors that I know of. Just use T-Taps and electrical tape over the stock connectors on the bike if you are worried about cutting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
None of them use stock connectors that I know of. Just use T-Taps and electrical tape over the stock connectors on the bike if you are worried about cutting.
Yeah, been there already and decided I didn't even want to splice. I did find some turn signal adapter wires from Targa, although I'm not sure they're what's needed for our bikes. The license plate light wiring sucks because it has a stock (proprietary?) connector on it. The best idea I could come up with was to buy another harness and cut into those wires, but that required ordering a brand new license plate light assembly since the harness itself doesn't have a part number.

I know splicing wires isn't a huge deal, but I'd prefer to leave the bike as completely stock/plug-and-play as possible. I thought maybe this kit would be different from the BikeLitez one I have sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
to the op,
there's a generic fender eliminator kit on ebay that works just as good as the targa,
it's like $15 or somethin'

·
Registered
647 Posts
dude i hella bought that from ebay, its the shiat and i recommend it to everyone! thanks for the million heads up about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The kit does require cutting the stock lights except the Brake light. I didnt like that but I guess I could just by some new factory signals later on in time. Wasnt that hard to do everything. Just time consuming! I read the post that Vex made, hopefully it is normal for the relay to function that way. Never heard that sound though before. Im gonna go try the turn sigs on my bro's 250 and see how they sound since his bike is completely stock. Maybe I can try and get a sound recording or vid and post up something. Thanks for the reply's.

Also cant get the EBAY kit now since Ive already spent the money and got the Targa kit. It is kinda high in price though, but I guess you get what you pay for right!

Just saw the link with the adapter cables, wish I had seen that before! Oh well, already did the damage. Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
115 Posts
dude i hella bought that from ebay, its the shiat and i recommend it to everyone! thanks for the million heads up about it.
The only reason I mention about the generic fender eliminator on ebay is because I have had a pretty good installation experience with it as opposed to the $100 rip off out there that doesn't do much better. Hey, people are cussing and being disrespectful and using profanities like there's no tomorrow and then flame for sharing my experience?
NOT COOL!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
to the op,
there's a generic fender eliminator kit on ebay that works just as good as the targa,
it's like $15 or somethin'
doordie, I did a search on your name and every single post that came up was about the eBay fender eliminator kit. This shit is not helping your rep at all! :Laughing rolling:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I just received my Targa kit yesterday (unbelievably fast shipping) and am installing it later this week. From what I can see it's a well-made and well thought out kit with good instructions and diagrams. The only thing that concerns me is the line in the instructions that notes that the included turn signals are "not DOT approved". Not sure why they added that or what difference it will make since I doubt anyone will be checking to see if my turn signals are DOT approved during inspection as long as they work.
I think this kit is a huge improvement over the Competition Werkes kit and was well worth the wait. It may even sell well enough to make Doordie stop shilling his generic kit in every thread. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Truefaith, when you get around to installing your kit listen to your Rear Turn signal relay. See if you here a weird sound coming from it. Not sure what it could be, because the rear lights arent LED so it should be fine unless I wired something wrong although I double and triple checked everything. Also if you havent done so already you might want to look at the link that muloh posted on page #1 those adapters would come in handy!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Hey Truefaith, when you get around to installing your kit listen to your Rear Turn signal relay. See if you here a weird sound coming from it. Not sure what it could be, because the rear lights arent LED so it should be fine unless I wired something wrong although I double and triple checked everything. Also if you havent done so already you might want to look at the link that muloh posted on page #1 those adapters would come in handy!
Will do and thanks for the heads up. I'm in the process of painting my house this week. I've wanted to start painting since June, but haven't had the weather I needed until now. Believe me, I'd rather be installing my Targa kit or riding, but I can't let this window of opportunity of rain-free days pass. The kit will probably be installed this weekend, when rain is forecast again. I'll get back to you on that noise as soon as I get the kit installed. In fact I'm hoping to do a DIY for the forum with picures since the Targa kit now fits with or without the cowl, unless someone beats me to it.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
The only reason I mention about the generic fender eliminator on ebay is because I have had a pretty good installation experience with it as opposed to the $100 rip off out there that doesn't do much better. Hey, people are cussing and being disrespectful and using profanities like there's no tomorrow and then flame for sharing my experience?
NOT COOL!!!
STFU!!!

We don't need to hear you talk about the damn thing everytime you post.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im in the process of putting mine on too.
I wish the wiring would have better connectors with it.
also, the bolts the kit comes with are a little long, other than that its a nice kit

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah it been raining a lot here also, finally got a day without bad weather. Hopefully it stays like this. So far I love this kit, really makes the bike look better!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Man i just got all of my wiring done, and somethins not right.
that grinding sound the relay does is not double as long and the signals also blink faster. And the bulbs in the targa signals suck ass

·
Registered
523 Posts
...I didn't even want to splice. I did find some turn signal adapter wires from Targa, although I'm not sure they're what's needed for our bikes. The license plate light wiring sucks because it has a stock (proprietary?) connector on it...
The kit does require cutting the stock lights except the Brake light...
What's with all the conflicting details regarding the need to cut wires? Are we all talking about the same kit (the version that works with the OEM cowl)?

From the 2fiddy blog:

"You do not need to cut any wires for the signal lights. It already comes with OEM connectors. However, you will need to splice the license plate light."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts