Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote, It`s a bit more revvy. Comparing to the 09 on ZX6R.:banana:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A ^#^ don`t squat on shit as I have run with one, and at high revs, my 08 pulls on that older model 636, quite easily.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
So a heavier bike with a smaller motor and less hp pulls on a 636? Interesting.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heavier, yes/no, negligable, less/more hp, yes/no, negligable, 37cc, nice but negligable difference. Performance, rider ability and how big your balls are. It was just an experience that I had, and I would add that there is next to no difference in performance between both bikes. I like both and wouldn't change one for the other.

Peace.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
http://www.visordown.com/road-tests/splitting-heirs-kawasaki-zx-6r-2005-v-2007/4121-3.html#ixzz2gCTEg7gg

"Where we found a real measurable difference was in lap times. We set a baseline lap with the '07 bike of 58s. We have to say it felt utterly crisp: turn-in, mid-turn, hooking up, revving out. You could totally understand the euphoria that accompanied its world launch. Then we took the 636 out and for three laps it felt the worst bike to ever venture onto a track.

Then it transformed. The tyres came in and the 636 rocketed. It wasn't as measured as the 600; the bars would noticeably shake when accelerating hard out of Clearways and that rapid steering wasn't always easy to work, input-wise.

But the surprise was the lap times. A full two seconds a lap quicker at 56s, and this on the Indy circuit too. So we took the '07 back out and batted it that bit harder. We closed the gap to a second, but that next second wasn't going to come without an incomparable extra level of effort. No, ridden like for like the 636 was a full second a lap quicker."

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice one BP, respect to you and the 636. All we need now is the ZX10 to satisfy our egos. One day maybe. When I bought my blue 08 almost a year ago I had the choice of also buying a black 06 model which I really liked also, but went for the 08, just because it was newer and only had 6500 kms on it. If the 08 wasn't in the mix, I probably would have got that 06 at the time. I guess for average road riders, there isn't much difference between them, or twists first etc etc. Nice research.:)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Kawasaki should have never abandoned the 636 platform IMO....they could have created a race bike with the 599 engine but use the 636 engine to sell on the street.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn't agree more, plus 636 has such a nice ring to it! Anyway, 636 is back and hopefully for good. But, I'd personally prefer to see a racier edge to the new 636, not biased to the street and more like the older versions.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Nice one BP, respect to you and the 636. All we need now is the ZX10 to satisfy our egos. One day maybe. When I bought my blue 08 almost a year ago I had the choice of also buying a black 06 model which I really liked also, but went for the 08, just because it was newer and only had 6500 kms on it. If the 08 wasn't in the mix, I probably would have got that 06 at the time. I guess for average road riders, there isn't much difference between them, or twists first etc etc. Nice research.:)
Your average street rider will never be able to notice the difference between the two bikes, and if they do, they're probably riding too fast for the street anyway. And the 07-08's have their strengths as well, particularly the stronger and much smoother transmission. But I agree with Byron, abandoning the 636 motor was a mistake, which, I'm sure is why Kawi went back to it again with the current gen zx6r.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1 on that.
I know this is off topic for this thread, and apologies, but if I got one of those servo buddies to keep my stock exhaust valve open, would the exhaust note be louder or would it affect the running of the bike. Just curious if you may know about this. Cheers. Or should I not bother on a totally stock bike.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
i'm not sure what the effect would be on a stock bike, I tend to think there'd be no benefit. They're made so that when you get an aftermarket exhaust, the lack of the exhaust servo won't trigger an FI light. It tricks the bike into thinking that it's still all there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers, that's probably the only use it has.

Some interesting info for you. I was thinking about getting the Triumph Street Triple here in Brazil, but not now that I learned that it's detuned from 105 hp to 85.(1) HP. WTF!. Apparantly emissions, Bull S¨%$. Do like the Speed Triple though, never seen or ridden one, but looks pretty badass. :D

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I'm looking for a more standard style bike myself. I love my 636, but i'm looking for something a bit more comfy on long rides. I'm never getting rid of the ninja but I was thinking of getting a first gen Z1000 as well. I've heard nothing but good reviews on the speed triple but it's a bit out of my price range right now.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm thinking the same thing, but, I love the Ninja, and only if something else comes up, then I won't change. I like the Z1000, but not a huge fan of it because of its bulkiness, but nice exhausts and sound. Looked at a Ducati 1100 but I'm not a wheelie guy but still nice. ZX14 presses my buttons as does a Hayabusa, but love the Speed Triple.

I suppose being an English guy, the triumph has a place in my heart, but they do make excellent bikes.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
So a heavier bike with a smaller motor and less hp pulls on a 636? Interesting.
Extra weight is in the giant muffler and huge car-sized Cat, and peak HP is virtually identical. My 07 ZX6 with a cat delete/GP pipe was lighter then my friends Muzzy system 05 636 by 7#s. 636 had better low end/mid range and feels faster on the street, 599 had more overrev and longer gearing for tight tracks along with way better brakes and suspension.

Keep in mind the stock gearing on the 07-08 is the same as going -1 front (or +3 rear) on a 636, which makes a huge difference in perceived low end. I went -1/+2 on my 07 and loved it, really buffed the weak low end especially when riding 2-up.

Both amazing bikes, and 99% of riders won't notice a 1 second deficiency at Indy :rolleyes:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts