Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to flush my radiator at some point in the near future. I have heard some good things about engine ice just wondering how many people use it what they're opinion on it is.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
254 Posts
If u live up north then id say no...if ur in FLorida then yes .. i use 1 bottle of redline water wetter and the rest a 50/50 mix
Edit...altho engine ice is great stuff u will get many diff thoughts on this

·
Registered
969 Posts
It's good. I use it in my 675 which I ride street and track. It's fine through the winter down here but make sure the freezing point is ok where you are (-26* F is what it says on the jug I have)

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
overpriced for no reason. the price of half gal will buy you 2 gals of prestone 50/50

·
Registered
969 Posts
overpriced for no reason. the price of half gal will buy you 2 gals of prestone 50/50
It's priced the way it is because it doesn't use regular antifreeze (glycol based?). Antifreeze is slick if it spills and that's why they don't want you using antifreeze on the track, Engine Ice won't cause accidents, or at least shouldn't or it will reduce the chance compared to regular antifreeze. I don't see a point in using Engine Ice unless you are going to the track. I use Engine Ice because I don't want to use water and Water Wetter and drain my radiator in the winter.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
It's priced the way it is because it doesn't use regular antifreeze (glycol based?). Antifreeze is slick if it spills and that's why they don't want you using antifreeze on the track, Engine Ice won't cause accidents, or at least shouldn't or it will reduce the chance compared to regular antifreeze. I don't see a point in using Engine Ice unless you are going to the track. I use Engine Ice because I don't want to use water and Water Wetter and drain my radiator in the winter.
that i know, but im pretty sure he wasn asking for track reasons otherwise he would have known

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea I'm looking for street use. I live in CT. Hottest it gets is arpund 100 in the summer. Bike stays in a heated garage in the winter (well not heated but under the house so it doesnt go below about 40 in the winter). I had just read it was pretty good stuff and that I would run a few degrees cooler in the summer. On a hot day I'll usually run between 190 and 200 F.

This is why I ask tho. I figure there's people here who are more experienced with things like this than I am.

Sounds like water wetter would basically do what I'm looking for which is lower the coolant temp. Is that correct?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I've been meaning to switch to engine ice myself for quite a while but just seem to never get around to it. I'm mostly looking for the environmental safety aspect of it since its non-toxic and track day friendly (for when I ever get the time to hit the track that is).

I wouldn't count on it to lower the operating temp over properly mixed regular anti-freeze though since much of the temp reduction claims are vs. straight water.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I've been meaning to switch to engine ice myself for quite a while but just seem to never get around to it. I'm mostly looking for the environmental safety aspect of it since its non-toxic and track day friendly (for when I ever get the time to hit the track that is).

I wouldn't count on it to lower the operating temp over properly mixed regular anti-freeze though since much of the temp reduction claims are vs. straight water.
there isnt any reduction; few people that ran it saw no difference if not worse than regular 50/50

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use water wetter and it took my temp down about 5degrees i only use redline water wetter 100% nothing else i love it
Edit...my bike around town gets up around 198 - 205 on a 96 degree day and so far its not ever broke 200 since i filled it with pure water wetter

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
If you're going to the track, please use water wetter. Engine Ice is still slick. My busted up bike in the garage proves it.
-Cody

·
Registered
684 Posts
regular coolant has better anti-corrosion properties, which is why it last for 2 yrs.

water wetter has to be changed out every year. I've been using water wetter on my zx6r, my track bike, as one track day provider demands it.

I'm going back to regular coolant, it's less of a hassle, don't have to change it out every yr, and you don't have to mix it. but water wetter did cause my engine to run 5 degrees cooler, and I use the normal mix of water wetter.

If you are riding street only, there's no need for fancy stuff like engine ice or water wetter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So basically use regular coolant and a bottle of redline water wetter additive is the general consensus from what it sounds like

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
If you are riding street only, there's no need for fancy stuff like engine ice or water wetter.
I would disagree. Most people don't have a safe way to dispose of used coolant. Using a non-toxic product like Engine Ice negates that problem.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
So basically use regular coolant and a bottle of redline water wetter additive is the general consensus from what it sounds like

I don't think WW works when mixed with regular glycol coolant. Your bike might actually run hotter.

I think it says that right on the bottle ???

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a fair point. Either way I need to figure that out because I have standard kawi coolant in there now. I believe I can bring it to my town dump but something I should look into before I change it.

·
Pursebully
37,566 Posts
I would disagree. Most people don't have a safe way to dispose of used coolant. Using a non-toxic product like Engine Ice negates that problem.
Just leave it next to the garage. The neighborhood cats will drink it up. :D

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I don't think WW works when mixed with regular glycol coolant. Your bike might actually run hotter.

I think it says that right on the bottle ???
You can mix it. Water Wetter actually makes your bike run cooler than Anti-Freeze, so there's a good reason to use it right there;)

I run water wetter in all of my bikes, but I keep them in a garage in central-Texas, so I never have to worry about it freezing.
-Cody

·
Registered
684 Posts
Don't take our word for it:

engine ice:

F.A.Q Answers

water wetter:

WaterWetter® Tech Info

water is a better 'coolant' than glycol based coolants, as it has better heat transfer and less drag. the water wetter additive is the anti-corrosive component among other things.

and as for disposal of coolant, really? what do you do with your used brake fluid, engine oils, PSF/ATF?? man up and go the recycling center, not a big deal. yes, or you can kill the local wildlife with it.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
and as for disposal of coolant, really? what do you do with your used brake fluid, engine oils, PSF/ATF?? man up and go the recycling center, not a big deal. yes, or you can kill the local wildlife with it.
Pour it onto the curb drain in front of my house?

KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts