Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throttle cable sticks... doesnt snap back completely anymore... its kinda rough. What do I do about this/ How do I replace it? I messed up that bracket the cables attach to (the little pulley thats attached to the carbs) and I did a temp fix which is kinda permanent. I wanna replace that piece and replace the cable. How do I go about doing this?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
How did you mess up the that wheel?
Anyway, it should just be held on with a bolt, and the pulley only goes on one way sinc e it's keyed, so remove the bolt, wiggle the pulley off, and swap it with a new one.

As for the cables not snapping back, lube all the springs on the carbs, lube both cables, and make sure the handlebar that the throttle is on isn't bent. That will cause sticky throttle syndrome all by itself.

BC.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You can buy cable lubricators at most bike shops or auto parts stores. It clamps onto the cable tube and you stick the red tube from the can a spray lube into it. It injects the lube into the cable.

I was going to go this route but decided to get a quick turn throttle assy from LockhartPhillips intead.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats a quick turn? where cna i find it? I wouldnt mind replacing this with that.. sounds good cuz im so damn big... i cant tuck and go full throttle very easily! I have to like reset my wrist and stuff... my leg gets in the way... here's a pic of me compared to my bike so u know wha
t im talkin about

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
your cable might not be the real problem....the way you thread the cable to the cable bracket is important...if it takes a sharp turn or not a easy turn in direction it will stick a bit
and holy cow[:0]!! man how tall are you?! must be really hard to duck and tuck for you

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well when the bike is just sitting there, off, if i play with the throttle... it does not go all the way back down... btw im 6'4" 285. :D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
it doesn't matter if you're on the bike....it's the route the cable takes that determines how well it will move
for instance it would be easier for a cable running in a straight line to move than one with a kink or 90 degree kink in it...so what you have to do is reroute the cable so it has gentler lines
kinda like train tracks...they can't take sharp turns...it needs a gradual change in direction

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good point Spartan. Kinks...bad.

Now for Camaroguy, you'll be looking for the Universal Quick turn throttle assembly from lockhart. http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/pages/product-sub3.asp?id=319

They also have http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/pages/product-sub3.asp?id=733 for future reference.

With your size, I'd put some aftermarket clip ons (CFM are cheaper) below the top clamp. It well make the bike feel longer. You can also adjust how far in or out the bars point giving you even more room. Yes it puts more weight on the wrist for smaller people, but your nearly sitting upright as it is. Plus, at full tuck there isn't weight on the hands anyway right?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what clipons? can ya send me a link? I think i am gonna order that quick turn throttle... its gonna make life sooo much easier!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HAHAHAHAHA... sorry buddy... no miracle grow here! I used to be tall and skinny... not anymore... i used to be like 6' 160 or so... that was in 8th grade I think.. then I started playin football in h.s.... and i grew from there.... now i'm 19... and im kinda big

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i never have weight on my hands really... the only struggle is getting the throttle to turn all the way without my knee getting in the way

·
Registered
207 Posts
One more thing you can try. I did this on mine because I like to sit a tad lower. Shave your seat foam. Take the cover off, draw some lines and use a hack saw to shave an inch off of the seat where your but goes. Instead of the seat being at a downward angle, I shaved mine so it's level with the ground. If you look under your seat you can see the plastic mold, I shaved mine so the foam is level with the mold front to back. You end up shaving more from the back, hardly any from the front. It's a lot more comfy too.

What's the bike in the background of the pic?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.