Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havn't rode another 09 besides mine, but I've noticed since day 1 that the throttle 'lags' about 1 second. I'll roll the throttle and the gas won't kick in till about a 1 second delay.

My friends 06 636 has some mods done to it, so maybe thats why his is 100% responsive.

My ol ZX7R was way more responsive too.

I can definitely notice it when I want to blip the throttle for a down shift, and almost nothing happens unless I give it more than 5% throttle.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I havn't rode another 09 besides mine, but I've noticed since day 1 that the throttle 'lags' about 1 second. I'll roll the throttle and the gas won't kick in till about a 1 second delay.

My friends 06 636 has some mods done to it, so maybe thats why his is 100% responsive.

I can definitely notice it when I want to blip the throttle for a down shift, and almost nothing happens unless I give it more than 5% throttle.

not mine. no lag at all.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
My 08 is something like that. Maybe not as bad- but i can tell more clearly whenever i let off the throttle after cruising & get a small 'jerk'.. If I raise the idle it'll mask it, but I just deal with it for now..

From what i understand I think a PC3 should solve it?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Isnt there a mod where you remove the secdonary butterflies on the 05 06 models? Apparantly it improves throttle response. Idk though.

I just know that if I 'gun' it, the bike runs normally. Usually any throttle below 10% will have this weird 'engagement' mode where it does absolutely nothing for 1 second, then the bike kicks in. This has caused some problems when making some fine throttle adjustments through sharp turns since it's kind of unpredictable.

I'll go to the dealership and ask what its about. It may just be something new bikes do vs. the more simple carbureted bikes I've ridden.

·
Registered
705 Posts
No throttle lag at all on my 09. In fact, it's alarmingly responsive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Earlier today I posted something about Secondary Butterflies. In first, the butterflys are not all the way open, so there is some low end lag until you get into the powerband. This is probably because if the butterflies were completely opened in 1st, when you pined the throttle, it would do backflips across the pavement. I am fine in all the other gears. Pinning the throttle in 2nd shows ya what the bike can do. It puts you in your place.

An XTRE and a PCV will help you do the trick.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I dont even think its low end lag. It may even happen in high end. Its just the point between when the throttle has PLAY, and when the throttle is actually 'pulling' the cables. The cables are pulled, but there is no response until 1 second (or .5 second, I just know there isn't 100% engagment).

I took it to the dealer last weak for some warrenty work, and the guy who rode my bike said the rest of it is OK. I didn't mention the throttle though.

Liek I said though, it may just be from me being used to older bikes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Mine does that. I just assumed it was normal for factory bike setup and that when I get a power commander that issue will be solved. But after reading this I'll have to reanalize the situation.

[EDIT] After reading this I'm wondering if it's in my head, it's a small thing, or if their really is an issue. See what you did, now you got me all paranoid and I won't be able to ride my bike till next week. Raining till monday at the least. It's a brand new bike but the issue sort of reminds me of a throttle position sensor problem on a car.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mine does something similar but only slightly and only if I've just started it. Probably more of a cold engine thing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I never ever ride my bike cold. And my chain is perfect. It's lubed nicely also. Soon as I got it and checked everything over to make sure these guys did their prep since I had my prep fee waved I wanted to be sure they wouldn't skimp on me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
No throttle lag at all on my 09. In fact, it's alarmingly responsive.
well put! have to agree its the same for mine!

my bro's older model 2000 zx6r had a throttle lagging issue a while back, upon opening up the throttle it would seem momentarily flat then pick up. Ended up being just crappy spark plugs. Once replaced the problem went away. Thats one suggestion you could look into I guess...?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well put! have to agree its the same for mine!

my bro's older model 2000 zx6r had a throttle lagging issue a while back, upon opening up the throttle it would seem momentarily flat then pick up. Ended up being just crappy spark plugs. Once replaced the problem went away. Thats one suggestion you could look into I guess...?
No, once again, it has nothing to do with performance. Its not like a lean condition or a carbureted bike running cold.

The bike can probably pull 112 HP with full smooth throttle. I'm thinking it something mechanical.

Imagine this. Your friend is on the bike, and you tell him to give it gas. The bike runs fine 100% but the time it takes for him to listen to you and register 'rolling the throttle' is about 1 second delay.. so the bike starts moving 1 second later than if you were on the bike yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this kind issue is caused (hard to say correctly in english for me, it isnt my "motherlanguage") its getting too much petrol less air. As you pull trottle engine is getting alot gas but not enough air for burning it. It may be caused a lot diffrent thing like bad air filter, wrongly adjusted carbs, if fuel insjection engine may be eaven electronic issue. Lag in trottle response isnt normal, as you have it your bikes fuel economy is going high. Idk did you discribe this issue fully correctly but for me it seems to be this kind problem.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had a power commander, with a custom tune, and now a flash on the ecu. with either, no throttle lag. It's been 3 yrs since I got the bike used,(09 zx6r) and it was bone stock back then, so long ago, I can't remember if it had a throttle lag.

you should also consider the R6 1/6 throttle tube mod. really wakes up the bike.

have you adjust your throttle cable slack?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts