Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can somebody explain to me exactly how to do this? Apparently it's giving the bike a little bit of gas just after or during braking in a corner to settle the suspension and chassis, but I'm not sure when or exactly how much throttle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What you are looking to do is to just turn the throttle on a little bit before you make your turn into the corner. Then after that it is up to you as to how much throttle you give it as you are going through the corner. You don’t want to turn it on as you are going into the corner because of the free play in the throttle cables, and because it will change the loading on the tires and essentially change the steering geometry of the bike, which intern means you will end up making steering changes in the corner (basically upsetting the bike). As far as how much to rolling on the throttle while you are in the turn depends on a lot of things like increasing or decreasing radius turn, positive or negative camber on the turn and so forth (also the size of your kahonays) . Just use your better judgement for that. Now everyone does things a little different, but before I go into a turn I do my breaking and downshifting first, then set my body up for the turn (leaning off the bike), then turn on the throttle a little, then make the turn, then roll the throttle on smoothly as I’m going through the turn. Everything before making the turn you want to do early that way you don’t have a ton of things going on the micro second before you actually make the turn. Hope this help if not let me know and I’ll try and explain it differently. For reference I do instructing for one of the trackday organizations here in the mid-west. That is what we teach our students and it seem to work well. It’s something that is a little hard to deal with at first, but it’s something you have to do to become a better rider and faster at the track. You can also practice this on the street just watch your speeds.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hmm, but don't some people brake almost or all the way to the apex? And the get on the gas?

I remember readin something on the gixxer board about Keith code suggesting one method in his first book and then the other in his second. Or was it contradictory advice in twist of the wrist 2, I think that was the case. I haven't read either yet but Twist1 and Suspension for Mortals are on my christmas list.

I also saw a vid of some fast guy with his camera set up so throttle percent, speed and brake indicator showed up on the screen. He often used his brake way into the turn.

I'm a noob too and this is not advice, but questions.

I just don't know when to shut up, do I[B)]

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cool, i'll have to try that soon. thanks again.

btw, i'm not a newbie at riding, just at different methods of turning and stuff. do you think a track day would help me become a faster rider? are there any tracks in the NY area?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaRider

ok cool, i'll have to try that soon. thanks again.

btw, i'm not a newbie at riding, just at different methods of turning and stuff. do you think a track day would help me become a faster rider? are there any tracks in the NY area?
Whoops, sorry, didn't mean to call anyone else a noob[:I].

I know you didn't ask me but....Hell yeah it will. I got my license about a year ago, 7 months total riding exp and have 17 000km (10 600miles) on my bike. I've done a shitload of track days this summer and am now maybe 5sec or less off race pace, and that's way faster than I'd ever go on the streets. Plus I'd have been in the hospital by now had I not discovered trackdays quite early.

·
Registered
137 Posts
RedFinn, I agree with you that there are other methods and trail braking with either the front or rear into the corner is an option, but those are really advanced subjects, and with someone new to the track it is a good way to really use your frame slider and leathers. Just like using the rear brake on the track in general it is really for the advanced (new guys stay away from the rear brake on the track).
NingaRider, I totally agree with RedFinn about getting to the track. It is the absolutely the best thing you could do to be a better and safer rider. There is an organization on the east coast called NESBA that does trackday events. Look them up because I'm sure they are running events somewhere near you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.