Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 08' ZX6r and it has the normal tick they all have. I had a scheduled appointment to get the valve cover fixed and while they were in there get a manual CCT put in for this Thursday the 21st. To get back to the story I was riding into my neighborhood coming home from work. Going about 15-20 mph and on the ride home I noticed the tick had got quite a bit louder. But figured it was normal, and than it just shut off on me. It didn't make a terrible sound when it shut off just a normal shut off basically. So I tried to start it back up and it wont turn over now. It just makes a thude and doesnt wanna turn over. The lights and tach/speedo will come on just wont turn over.

Any input as to what anyone thinks it is wou;d be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
885 Posts
They put the manual CCT in?

Sounds like the cam chain jumped

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
That doesn't sounds good at all. Better take it back to whoever did the gasket/cct.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the confusion but I hadn't taken the bike to the shop yet. Before all this happened I was supposed to take it this Thursday to the shop to have those things fixed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I pity the fool who cant read. I would guess from what I heard that the timing chain got lodged in something. Heres to hoping its not too serious!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Really unusual for it to happen, but it does sound like the cam chain jumped or broke.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Is it one really loud click, or a clunk noise?

Check to make sure your battery connections are tight, after that try the wires to the starter relay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I try to start it the clunk does seem to come from under the seat. But if it was my starter relay would it of made my bike just shutoff as I was riding it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update on the bike. Trailered it to the shop today and when I went to let them hear the noise I was talking about it started to turnover but not startup. Seemed like to me that something(cam chain) was lodged and maybe on the way over there on the trailer it came un-lodged? But anyways I'm supposed to get a call tomorrow from the Kawi shop to let me know whats wrong with it.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
No, you have a loose connection somewhere in the high power section of your starting circuit, and because the bike uses the battery as a charging buffer with that loose connection nothing will work.

Sorry, I should have tried to get back to this thread sooner, but I'd definitely say, "tighten all the wires leading too and from the battery/starter relay."

Bet the shop charges you $100 to tell you that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took the bike last Thursday (21st) and still haven't heard anything back on it. Supposedly there 1 mechanic down. So they said the should get to it today (25th).

Sev, if they're loose connections loose would the speedo/tach still power up? Thanks for the imput!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I just got a call from the dealership and he said when they were looking to see what was wrong they tried to spin the engine and only the bottom half would spin and that the upper part wouldn't. He said so they kept spinning it and noticed the crankshaft was broke. So now I need a new/used engine. Yay for only having the bike for 2 1/2 months!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Damn man my friends engine blew on his too... wtf! He had a loud knocking noise and then boom, oil everywhere!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune, just sucks.

Hope you find a motor soon. If you decide to sell the current busted engine,please hiot me up I would be interested in buying it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts