Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding a lil quick back from work the other day and got hit with a speeding and riding with a permit. Not much i can do about the speeding (76 in a 50) but according to NY law a person with a motorcycle license must accompany me within a quarter mile. It doesnt specify if theyre in a car or on a bike but the cop said he's gotta be on the bike. Is there anything i can do about this 90 dollar ticket?

btw i pulled over on pure instinct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you know for a fact that this is the law where you live. In california, if you have a permit no one can be on the bike with you till you have a full license. That sucks about the ticket.

·
Registered
161 Posts
nothing much you can do about that. NY DMV states that a permit holder needs to be a few feet behind a person on a motorcycle with an "M" endorsement on their licensed. Only thing a could think of is to get your "M" endorsement go to court, show the judge your licensed and maybe you can get off. Goodluck.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pulled over because of instinct? You should pull over anyway.

If the cop wanted to be a dick about it, he could have impounded the bike too. Just pay the ticket and get your endorsement so you don't have to deal with it again.

Jen

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Originally posted by nickkawi
nothing much you can do about that. NY DMV states that a permit holder needs to be a few feet behind a person on a motorcycle with an "M" endorsement on their licensed. Only thing a could think of is to get your "M" endorsement go to court, show the judge your licensed and maybe you can get off. Goodluck.....
I think that maybe the courts would see the date on the ticket and the date that he received his endorsement....??

--David

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
I'm sure the judge will see that, but it will look good that he got the endorsement anyway... It won't cure it for sure, but it might help this situation, and will help him in the future (not getting permit tickets, I mean). Let me go check the laws for you real quick... I pretty sure they DO NOT have to be on a bike, or the same bike as you.... in fact I think it would be stupid to have someone one th bike with you while you're learning. It's like hopping piggy-back on a toddler when they're learning to walk.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Originally posted by dwillits

I think that maybe the courts would see the date on the ticket and the date that he received his endorsement....??

--David
I think what he is trying to say is that if he gets his endorsement, the judge might treat it as a "fix it" ticket, and be nice and drop the fine. Worth a try!
Edit:damn...rbray beat me to it lol :D

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
Ok, got it... Straight off the NYS DMV website: http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/c41.htm (downloaded 7.17.06 at 16.50h)

"MOTORCYCLISTS AND MOPED OPERATORS
The restrictions in this publication also apply to operating a motorcycle or moped. Your learner permit or limited-use license (Class M or MJ, or Limited Class MJ) does not allow you to carry any passenger except your accompanying supervising driver. In addition, your accompanying driver must have a driver license valid for operating the same class motorcycle or moped you are driving, and must exercise general supervision and control of your driving by remaining within one-quarter mile. It is strongly recommended that your accompanying driver keep you in sight at all times."

So, as I read this, if you have your motorcycle permit you may not carry a passenger unless they are your "supervising driver" (read: have their motorcycle endorsement). However, the line that says they must keep you in sight and remain within a quarter-mile of you has me thinking. The only motorcycle I can think of that may be bigger than a quarter mile is that hardley-limo that was posted up here a while back. So that means they (the licensed operator) do not have to be on the bike with you. It also does not state specifically that they (the licensed operator)have to be on a motorcycle, which means they can be in a car.

Hope this helps man. And get your endorsement ASAP. I rode dirty for a while, and it was a big relief when I only had to look out for crazy cagers... not crazy cagers and the police. Good luck.

Edit: Trashmonkey - Muhaha! Yeah I'm pretty quick on the draw.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by 636_Jen
Pulled over because of instinct? You should pull over anyway.

If the cop wanted to be a dick about it, he could have impounded the bike too. Just pay the ticket and get your endorsement so you don't have to deal with it again.

Jen
thats true but some people run on instinct. he thanked me for not running from him and later wrote 220 bucks worth of yellow papers

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't know about NY, but in PA/Philly either you have a permit or not.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
wait till the week of court and then postpone it.youll have to give them some kind of excuse but id say postpone it till you get your license.then go in there speak with the prosecutor before court.show him your license and tell him youd like to plead down to a non point violation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.