Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and a few of my friends in two nice cars are heading through the city to grab some food. It's a little late so not many cars around. One of my friend's car makes it through a light but me and my buddy are at a red light. Turns green, we floor it a bit, then slow down.

I never left 1st gear. Quickly (very) got to 45mph in a 35 and hit traffic. My friend is behind me. Out of nowhere, a car cuts in front of him and nearly slams into my rear and turns on his lights. I pull over, he gets behind me, quickly gets out of the car, and runs in the middle of traffic and screams at my friend "You! There!" pointing at the curb in front of me so he pulls over.

He's very pissed for some reason and I try to be polite but gives us both a $298 ticket for "Racing on Hwy". That's it. Nothing else is written on the ticket. Now, what are the chances of it being thrown out? I'm pretty sure he has nothing on us. He wasn't even behind us when we left the light. He just came straight after me.

So, I think because there were no other cars around me except for my friend's very sporty car, I was in 1st so my bike was extra loud at that speed, it was at night, and I was leaned very far down just for fun, that he thought I was going much faster then I was.

I'm going to fight it and try to get it thrown out completely. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I never left 1st gear. Quickly (very) got to 45mph in a 35.........I was leaned very far down just for fun, that he thought I was going much faster then I was.

I'm going to fight it and try to get it thrown out completely. What do you guys think?
so lemme get this straight, riding aggressively, breaking the speed limit, and you think you have a chance? Just man up and take what you deserve.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
so lemme get this straight, riding aggressively, breaking the speed limit, and you think you have a chance? Just man up and take what you deserve.
It's technically not illegal to go 0 to (speed limit) at a fast speed (I guess depending on your manner) but anyway I don't know if it will be fully dropped even though it's stupid IMO but there's no way it should be $300.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
It's technically not illegal to go 0 to (speed limit) at a fast speed (I guess depending on your manner) but anyway I don't know if it will be fully dropped even though it's stupid IMO but there's no way it should be $300.
yes it is. at least in florida. they call it "competition speed". its a shit ton more likely you'll get a ticket for it too if you do it next to someone doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Yes, he was speeding, but he got a ticket for racing. I would try to get it reduced to 10 or 9 over.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
both of you read my quote more carefully....he said he got to 45 in a 35.

Speeding.
i saw your quote, but i wasn't responding to you. i know he was speeding i was debating on weather or not its illegal to speed up to the limit, and in florida it is.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Racing the engine maybe but not actually racing is the case to make.Racing is a stiff fine and one HUGE insurance smack comapared to gettin on it to catch up to a party.Besides it takes 2 or more to actually "race".It'll be expensive but get a lawyer.You really dont want that floating on your record compared to speeding under 15.Dont worry so much about the ticket, its the insurance that will bleed you back to a big wheel.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Racing the engine maybe but not actually racing is the case to make.Racing is a stiff fine and one HUGE insurance smack comapared to gettin on it to catch up to a party.Besides it takes 2 or more to actually "race".It'll be expensive but get a lawyer.You really dont want that floating on your record compared to speeding under 15.Dont worry so much about the ticket, its the insurance that will bleed you back to a big wheel.
not true either. ever heard of the term "racing the clock" its what bracket racers do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes.Racing the clock is a familar term.I believe I misread too.Sounded like he sped up to catch one car.But after re-reading I can see that there were two cars and the bike in the original party.The car and the bike got on it which actually doesnt look good.Cops dont like that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its up to the officer's descretion. You said you went from 0 to 45 "very quickly"....so the cop noticed that aswell. I'd just pay the fine and learn from it. Still sucks though...best of luck to yah

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
He wasn't racing the guy, he shouldn't have a ticket for racing. You're going to get assraped on insurance and have a bad driving record if you don't fight it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just be happy he gave you a ticket I was polled over for the same thing and the cop told me I had 15 mins to take everything out of the car I wanted because I was not taking the car home. Racing in cops eyes could be speeding up from light to light and what made it worse was your friend was prolly right on your bumper which gives it the look of racing. Get a lawyer and try to get it knocked down to just speeding and pay the fine. If you keep the racing on your record good luck getting cheap insurance in the future.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Ya, a "racing" ticket usually denotes two vehicles purposely racing w/each other. From what the OP is telling us, this wasn't the case. However, you did admit to going around 10 over the limit, and getting there quickly (which you could also be ticketed for, around here they would probably write you up for "unsafe start" or something like that). I would just go to court and see if you can get it dropped down to a lesser charge. Just my .02...

·
Powerhungry
38,162 Posts
He wasn't racing the guy, he shouldn't have a ticket for racing. You're going to get assraped on insurance and have a bad driving record if you don't fight it.
if there was only vehicle...it wouldnt have been racing...

riding along with the car is what gave the racing infraction. oh, that and the speed. not much chance of winning i dont think.
quick accelleration, up to the speed limit..can be illegal too. i dont remember the term now...something like "excessive show of speed"..or some shit.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
technically, it is. in michigan, they call it "display of horsepower". so, if you get to a freeway on-ramp and go from 0-70mph in 4 seconds, you can get a ticket for that. at least around here you can...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
if there was only vehicle...it wouldnt have been racing...

riding along with the car is what gave the racing infraction. oh, that and the speed. not much chance of winning i dont think.
quick accelleration, up to the speed limit..can be illegal too. i dont remember the term now...something like "excessive show of speed"..or some shit.
You're right that it's illegal, but he wasn't charged with "excessive show of speed" or "display of horsepower", he was charged with racing, which he may be able to get reduced to excessive speed, speeding or dropped altogether. Plus, it's a stiff insurance spike if he's charged with it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
"Exhibition of acceleration" is the term you are looking for ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
So me and a few of my friends in two nice cars are heading through the city to grab some food. It's a little late so not many cars around. One of my friend's car makes it through a light but me and my buddy are at a red light. Turns green, we floor it a bit, then slow down.

I never left 1st gear. Quickly (very) got to 45mph in a 35 and hit traffic. My friend is behind me. Out of nowhere, a car cuts in front of him and nearly slams into my rear and turns on his lights. I pull over, he gets behind me, quickly gets out of the car, and runs in the middle of traffic and screams at my friend "You! There!" pointing at the curb in front of me so he pulls over.

He's very pissed for some reason and I try to be polite but gives us both a $298 ticket for "Racing on Hwy". That's it. Nothing else is written on the ticket. Now, what are the chances of it being thrown out? I'm pretty sure he has nothing on us. He wasn't even behind us when we left the light. He just came straight after me.

So, I think because there were no other cars around me except for my friend's very sporty car, I was in 1st so my bike was extra loud at that speed, it was at night, and I was leaned very far down just for fun, that he thought I was going much faster then I was.

There are always 2 versions of the story or in most cases 3.

You can fight it, doubt it will get thrown out.

Where are you located and the make of other car?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts