Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, newbie cop pulled me yesterday. All attitude. 50 in a 35 and no proof of insurance.

so ... I pick this guy up about a mile and a half back ... comes out of a mall lot and just gets behind me and a young black guy in a gold Lexus ES300. I am watching the O ... 40-42 ... and so is the Lexus to my left ... side by side. The cop drops back about 10 cars ... then zooms up behind the Lexus. Like on the bumper. I am thinking, well he got a call ... i need to clear the road for him. I hit the blinker, speed up, and change into the left lane to let him pass.

He pulls me. Goes off on me. I explained three times I am clearing the road for him. Then I notice the new uniform ... the clean little badge. fuck it.

ok. he passed three speed limit signs following me ... all said 40. I also fix medical equipment in a hospital ICU and ER ... just background.

I have two plans. A:) talk to his supervisor and try to get him to intercede with the guy.

or B:) roll the court date to get him off schedule ... ie, the date he listed had to be one of his road patrol days ... so maybe I get him on shift or off day ... if he shows, do I start by asking him questions about the Lexus, how long he had been following me, when did I exceed the limit, did I have an excuse for speeding up? he don't remember me ... he is toast right? ... because it wasn't a radar pull ... or just run my story by the judge standing there in my scrubs with emergency ID and pics of the posted 40 mph signs he passed?

Really would rather talk to the supervisor ... but maybe it pisses off mr. newbie and he really makes a point of showing up for the court date.

all help? trying to hook up with my nephews in Florida for some advice as well ... both are road patrol down there.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
umm, u sped up and got in the left lane rite? the cop behind the lexus was in the left lane rite? the left lane is the fast lane, u should have stayed in the right lane and the lexus should have moved to the right lane so the cop could continue in the left (fast) lane. u screwed urself is what it sounds like. and besides if he had a call he woulda lit it up or blipped the sirens and went on. guess he was playing the both of you and you excepted the invite. so u got a speeding and no proof of ins. take ur ins card and it'll prolly get dropped and pay the speeding fine. from now on don't let them play u like a fiddle. best thing to do is find a place to turn into and let'm go on. don't speed up to clear the way. if he wants thru u'll know it.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
forgot to mention. we had an article posted in the paper here saying that all motorist must move to the rite to let emergency vehicles pass on the left (state law). if u don't merge to the right you can and will be ticketed. this is why i said you should have stayed in the right lane and maybe turned into a store or something.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[take ur ins card and it'll prolly get dropped and pay the speeding fine.]

I have to say .... that is terriable advice. I have talked to two other law enforcement people since I posted.

the insurance charge is automatically dropped when i present a valid proof card .... pay the speeding fine when the guy didn't use radar and put down the wrong speed limit? And I am hospital ER staff?

Cops don't tend to ticket ER staff ... or firefighters .... unless it is dui or something hard. This guy is just new. Why I would rather catch his supervisor and get this done.

next .... [B)]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not to be a dick, but just pay the fucken ticket and quit bitching. Or go to court and pleed to the judge in the hopes that you get some of the charges dropped. Yea, a lot of the time I get a warning because of my ID but not all the time. You didn't have your insurance, if I pulled you over and you didn't have POI I would be a jerk too. Shit happens. People who do things like go to suprivisors or attempt to play the system ask for future trouble the next time they get pulled over. If you ride anything like I do or most sportbike riders I'm sure you will have plenty of stops. Good luck with that!

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no bitchin here dude ... what is the point of that?

and no ticket.

it is gone .... :D

thanks for the advice ... I guess you two were trying to be helpful. but I am kinda of shocked, each of you posted to this and said pay it ... when several cops who know me told me to fight it ... not one of them said pay it.

and let the guy pull me again. let him write me for a real infraction ... not some BS.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Hmmm...I would slow down and be careful with this approach...

1st... You are right, we do not often ticket Dr's, nurses, firefighters, military, each other..etc...BUT this is not a given.

2nd... Just because RADAR is/was not used does not mean the speed reading is invalid. RADAR is used to confirm an officers observations, including the use of his/her speedometer (I am a police RADAR instructor) which is calibrated and can later be confirmed against RADAR or another cruiser. So your thinking is slightly flawed...your best bet is to approach the court officer/prosecutor (sorry, I am a Canadian cop so I am unfamiliar with your legal system) and point out the error on the ticket. Around here, that is usually a good reason to have the charge withdrawn...not always, as it can be amended....but 90% of the time.

3... You seem to talking down to/about the cop in question just because he is new. This will not help your case, as in any other profession, cops stick together....if you go to his Sgt. and refer to the "newbie cop" I think you will find the Sgt backs his officer. Oh yeah...some of us continue to keep our uniforms looking neat and tidy even after 10yrs on....so he may not be a newbie...

4... going to court in scrubs will make you appear very unprofessional, and that is not the look you should be going for. Looking and acting professional will take further and earn more points for all involved. In my area the judge/justice would take that as a slap in he face. Also....not sure about your area....but we are required to attend court...either as a regular work day, or paid overtime. If I miss court, I am disciplined. I wish you luck....

Sean

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
oops.....just re-read your last post...guess you can disregard mine....

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by SurfinGator

no bitchin here dude ... what is the point of that?

and no ticket.

it is gone .... :D

thanks for the advice ... I guess you two were trying to be helpful. but I am kinda of shocked, each of you posted to this and said pay it ... when several cops who know me told me to fight it ... not one of them said pay it.

and let the guy pull me again. let him write me for a real infraction ... not some BS.
So how did it get "gone"??? Clue us, dude!

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
terrible advice huh? i know if u take ur dam card in the judge will drop it. i also know if u keep the dam thing with u then u won't have that problem. and you shoulda paid the speeding ticket for being a dumbass to start with. but i'm glad u got out of it, and yes please let us know how it went. :)

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1st ... no, I wouldn't expect it to be. But cattle prod up my butt because ... bad day at the office?

2nd ... and there it is. it is not a valid citation because the complaint listed an erronous fact in its statement ... ie, speed limit as 35 instead of the correct 40.

3rd ... I talked to a cop who I had met before at school, I have taken all the MSF courses here .... and they are taught by local law enforcement. No mention of newbie or anything derogatory ... just, hey this was kinda bs.

4th ... my scrubs look professional. I wasn't going to wear grab bag scrubs. My name and position is stitched on the left shirt pocket of mine ... and I wear a matching EMT pouch. Also, I would have been heading to work right after this ... and these are my work clothes.

according to another local officer .... there is no discipline for officers not attending traffic court here ... ...

Originally posted by seanmcc
Hmmm...I would slow down and be careful with this approach...

1st... You are right, we do not often ticket Dr's, nurses, firefighters, military, each other..etc...BUT this is not a given.

2nd... Just because RADAR is/was not used does not mean the speed reading is invalid. RADAR is used to confirm an officers observations, including the use of his/her speedometer (I am a police RADAR instructor) which is calibrated and can later be confirmed against RADAR or another cruiser. So your thinking is slightly flawed...your best bet is to approach the court officer/prosecutor (sorry, I am a Canadian cop so I am unfamiliar with your legal system) and point out the error on the ticket. Around here, that is usually a good reason to have the charge withdrawn...not always, as it can be amended....but 90% of the time.

3... You seem to talking down to/about the cop in question just because he is new. This will not help your case, as in any other profession, cops stick together....if you go to his Sgt. and refer to the "newbie cop" I think you will find the Sgt backs his officer. Oh yeah...some of us continue to keep our uniforms looking neat and tidy even after 10yrs on....so he may not be a newbie...

4... going to court in scrubs will make you appear very unprofessional, and that is not the look you should be going for. Looking and acting professional will take further and earn more points for all involved. In my area the judge/justice would take that as a slap in he face. Also....not sure about your area....but we are required to attend court...either as a regular work day, or paid overtime. If I miss court, I am disciplined. I wish you luck....

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.