Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2005 zzr600 about two months ago, and noticed I can hear a light ticking noise at low RPM. I can't hear the ticking once the RPM's get up there, but that could be because the exhaust noise drowns it out. A buddy of mine said it might be carbon deposits on the valves, but the bike only has 2600 miles on it. I wanted to see what you all might think the problem could be and if it could be serious..... I don't want my engine or valve train getting screwed up for something that I could fix myself or have a mechanic fix for under $200.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Do a search on this..but I'm pretty sure it's a normal thing. My 2006ZZR does the same thing, and have heard this from several others on here.

·
Registered
374 Posts
sounds like valve clearance tick, mine does it too. I would not worry about it cause the 1st valve adjustment is at 7500 miles. Mine has had that tick since I can remember and now im at 6700 miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's good to know, I've talked to some coworkers who've owned Kawis before and they all say it's normal too. Thanks for the info and at least now I don't have to think my engines gonna tick itself loose.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Even the 00-02 6R's had a ticking sound from what I understand...mine makes it too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine ticks and it also makes a slight knocking noise when coasting (while letting the engine slow the bike down). So I took it to the dealer and they said that my bike sounded really good, better than most, and told me that they are noisy engines, but pretty much bulletproof.

·
Registered
232 Posts
mine also ticks,, had the valves done at 14000, no valve problems and it still does it now at 25000, I am almost sure all of them do it.. normal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.