Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently finished shimming the valves (3 weeks ago). The ticking noise never went away, it only got slightly louder. I'm debating if I should re-shim or not. However, I'd like to adjust my tensioner first w/o taking everything apart.

1. What is the correct way of adjusting the CCT? When I first did it, I had the tensioner 5 clicks out from fully in. This was done by first unscrewing the smaller bolts and then the big center bolt.

2. Does the ticking refer to a loose or tight chain?

3. Should my tensioner go up or down in length to compensate for the ticking?

Thanks

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
Which CCT are you using?

Loose.

The visible length should be shorter to compensate.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-faqs/178810-common-questions-long-winded-answers.html#post2454575

Ticking isn't a bad thing per se. It's not your valves ticking but your timing chain. And unlike OHV style engines you don't adjust your valves when you start to hear valves ticking. It's the other way around. Your valve lash DECREASES in time so essentially your valves will stop making noise. If you go too long the lash decreases to zero and you overheat valves and/or break them. So when you reshim your valves they should make a little more noise than before especially while the engine is warming up...

And if you read my link it's caused from too loose of a CCT. It's between clicks so there is slack in the timing chain. You have to be careful though if you manually adjust your CCT as too tight of a timing chain is a BAD thing. Unless you go to a manual CCT I wouldn't worry about the ticking.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Just force it as tight as it will go and you'll never have to adjust it again.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ 03black636: The CCT is stock, as far as I know. It has to be.

@Vex: Your thread was helpful, perhaps even saved me a trip to homedept to get some washers. I will probably order a manual CCT, but for time being, how to I adjust my stock CCT? It would help if you can elaborate the procedure. I may not even need to adjust it if ticking is a common thing after valve adjustment. But it doesn't hurt to double check.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
If it isn't loud enough to hear above idle save the time and just wait until you get the manual one...

You can extend it too far to be usable if you aren't careful. If you search on the board I know the topic has been covered a few times.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can hear it above idle. I can also hear hit while reving upto 4K standing still. Also, how much do you tighten the manual cct?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheapest manual cct on fleebay is $50!!! Unless it's made out of enriched Uranium, I'm not buying it. So now, how do I adjust the stock tensioner and will I be able to know if the chain is too tight or loose?

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
Search the board, it's been done and covered many times.

Kawasaki Cam Chain Tensioners

I'd buy one, it isn't worth the hassle on the stock unit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Look up user "whitehendrix" in his signature he has a link to all things "how to".
basically you loosen both 8mm bolts that fasten the tensioner to the engine very slowly until you hear a click then retighten. that click you hear is the tensioner moving out to the next adjustment tooth.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
You have to be careful though if you manually adjust your CCT as too tight of a timing chain is a BAD thing. Unless you go to a manual CCT I wouldn't worry about the ticking.

Can any of you guys help me manually adjust my self-adjusting adjuster ??

·
Registered
272 Posts
Didn't you read "acidburns" post right before yours?? I am not advocating this procedure-I think if your self tensioner will no longer self tension you should replace it, but.............

Here is his post--

"Look up user "whitehendrix" in his signature he has a link to all things "how to".
basically you loosen both 8mm bolts that fasten the tensioner to the engine very slowly until you hear a click then retighten. that click you hear is the tensioner moving out to the next adjustment tooth. "

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Didn't you read "acidburns" post right before yours?? I am not advocating this procedure-I think if your self tensioner will no longer self tension you should replace it, but.............

Here is his post--

"Look up user "whitehendrix" in his signature he has a link to all things "how to".
basically you loosen both 8mm bolts that fasten the tensioner to the engine very slowly until you hear a click then retighten. that click you
hear is the tensioner moving out to the next adjustment tooth. "
:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts