Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 2008 ninja 250r and it has 56000kms on it and about a half month ago I started to have a ticking noise coming from the middle of my engine and it only comes when my bike is idling at 1-3k rpms. I'm not sure if it's a cam chain problem or a valve clearance problem from what I've read. The sound also comes when I put the choke off and the bike is warm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
so even if you leave choke on once the bike is warm the noise doesn't come up till after? Last valve adjustment was done at the recommended interval? Sure its not louder on the right side where the cam chain is?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Your bike needs valve adjustment quite often so check that or have the valves properly adjusted if you are not sure.

It could be normal Kawi noise of course, but check those valves first!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The sound comes when the bike is warm and when the choke is off, it doesn't make the ticking noise after I fire it back up and until I rev the engine or start riding. I'll post a video as soon as I can.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The sound comes when the bike is warm and when the choke is off, it doesn't make the ticking noise after I fire it back up and until I rev the engine or start riding. I'll post a video as soon as I can.
Are you sure its nothing loose like a clamp that holds choke cable is loose, seems weird that the choke eliminates the noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very likely the cam chain. Common on the 636's. There's lots of youtube videos on it. My son's was awful. At all times all conditions. The automatic adjuster sometimes doesnt work perfectly. You can get a screwdriver in it to push it one extra tooth. It;s been a while since we did it but there's also a video on how to do the simple fix. As easy as it is to fix I'd at least try it first. Contrary to popular belief Kawi valves rarely need adjustment. My son's bike has about the same miles as yours. Here's a video of the sound before & after

·
Registered
221 Posts
Very likely the cam chain.

That was my first thought. If resetting or replacing the adjuster doesn't work, I'd recommend having a mechanic do the work. Unfortunately, getting at the cam chain is rather involved as it's rather deep in the engine.

While it is possible to get a manual cam chain adjuster, it's probably best not to make that a DIY as if you over or under do it there can be issues. And the instructions that I found when I wanted to do that were somewhat less than clear to me. On top of that, some of them can be tricky to get properly installed so that they don't back out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts