Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i doubt this is even worth asking but my bike has almost 800 miles on it and there is a very slight ticking sounds that didnt seem to be there befoe its a very mild sound almost have to listen for it to hear it but jw if anybody else has this noise... prolly normal so dont rip into me on this post im jw thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yea i know tons of owners who complain about this... and 1 of my friends is selling his 03 rr because of it! Stay conscious of it... you never know it could turn into somthing... but i think its just a normal kwak sound

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think its the valve/lifters, this IS an overhead cam engine. Lots of OHC car engines make the same sound, listen close the next time you got your hood up, you'll hear a very similar ticking.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies everyone i'll sleep easier knowing my brand new bike isn't already havin a death knock lol

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mine had the same ticking sound right off the lot but after awhile it stopped. Mine doesnt make any wierd noises or sound unusual at all now. Odd I suppose. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine started ticking pretty noticeably at 5500 miles and stopped completely about the time I was ready to explore the top end to find it. Hasn't returned and my baby is running great 2000 miles later.

·
Registered
116 Posts
is the ticking almost silent sitting next to the bike, but on it with a helmet on it is about all you can hear?

thats what i've got.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Originally posted by ********
Mine started ticking pretty noticeably at 5500 miles and stopped completely about the time I was ready to explore the top end to find it. Hasn't returned and my baby is running great 2000 miles later.
It took you 5500 miles to be ready to explore the top end? Bwahahaha! :D

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Could it be the leather valve seats? Nevermind, I won't go there this time :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
mine does the same thing. I also thought it was a problem with my bike. I have had it since 04 I think syn. oil might calm the noise down a little bit.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
stick it on a rear stand put it in 6th gear then spin the rear tire over by hand, that is one way people have found to adjust the cam chain tensioner manually.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
same thing mine was doing... did the whole 6th gear/engine off/rotate engine thing and it worked for a day, but then it came back. not sure what it is, but the kawi mechanic said its normal (though i don't think so because when it started, the performance of the bike was not as good)...so i'm still on the search....

·
Registered
857 Posts
if that worked then it was yyour cam chain tensioner, go buy a manual APE one problem solved, even with one tho your engine will still make noises...

·
Registered
550 Posts
After 14 years and about 110k street miles on Hondas, I can tell you Kawasakis make shitloads of funny noises that alarm folks that weren't raised on them. WAY more than I'm used to. At first I thought something was wrong. Then another noise came up, and I though something else was wrong. Repeat 10x. But the power and handling is so intoxicating I don't even care any more. Unless something falls off or starts smoking, don't worry about it. These things are just raw, noisy, vibey, clunky machines -- it's the price you pay for having this much badass stuffed in such a small package. If the clutch lever rattles it's just telling you to get your finger on it and drop a gear so it can REALLY scream. If the intake honks and buzzes it's just telling you how much it loves turning air into ball-flattening acceleration. Any other noise, attach your own love story. Kawasakis are noisy, learn to live with it. I sure have. The noise fades away when you're wringing it through a gentle uphill sweeper at 110mph :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts