Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
After nearly twenty years of road riding I consider myself very lucky to have been involved in only one major accident. Oh but what a dumb one when I look back.

My first bike a Honda MVX250 lasted about one month, as soon as I had passed my test on it (250 being compulsory) I was ready for a "big" bike, I had four weeks experience on the road and i was ready! So out I went and bought a brand new (demo model) GPZX750 Turbo, as the bike was a demo it was already run in and I could push it hard from the start and it went real hard for its day. After owning the bike for the whole of three days I was sitting outside a mates place, just about to leave for home, and he said "just how well do these things go?" my reply "watch This". I had had the bike up to well over 200Kph out on the open highway although i had not done an all out ball tearing start. Keen to make a good impression I took launched with the front wheel in the air, leaned well forward to bring the front down without backing off, redline into second gear front still in the air, redline 3rd gear front wheel back on the ground (I think)....... Not sure exactly what gear I was in at the time although I glanced down at the speedo and it had just passed the 190kph mark and I was still accelerating, I decided enough was enough and whilst the engine was operating at somewhere near redline I snapped the throttle closed, you can imagine what happened next. Rear wheel lockup is an understatement, it was like pulling the hand brake of a cage on at 200+, the bike immediately laid down and continued on its merry way grinding away on the pavement, luckily straight down the centre of the road without hitting a single thing. By the time everything came to a stop just over $3000 (Au) damage was done to a bike that had cost $4400 just 3 days earlier. But besides a lot flesh and a little bone missing from my right hip my safety gear had done its job and I had survived.
I learnt a lot of lessons from this incident although the one that sticks is how long it takes to heal when you remove some serious bits of meat from your body, I now never ride, no matter how far or how hot it is without full protection and I don't mean a rubber.

I am now a rider instructor with 20yrs riding experience and I still learn every time I sit on the bike. If you have become a bit complacent about your riding and are in need of a wake up check out the link below.

http://www.msgroup.org/CASESTUDY.html

Cheers.
Confidence and Ability should not be Confused.

ZX636-B1

· Registered
81 Posts
"I can't beieve backing off the throttle cause the rear to lock up in a straight line like that....did you back off or chop it?"

"Chop it" hmmm unknown term if thats the same snapping the throttle shut then yeah thats what I did. All I know is that it hit the deck before I knew what was going on...Ouch!

Confidence and Ability should not be Confused
ZX636-B1

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.