Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question and ill start with a little background. I started on dirtbikes at the age of 8 and never really stopped since. I recently got my motorcycle permit at the age of 17. I've had the permit for the last two weeks nearly to the day, and since its summer I have put over 1200 miles on my 05 ninja 500.
I live in a hilly semi-rural area so it's all been on a nice mix of off camber, decreasing radius and sharp corners.because of this assortment, chicken strips were gone on day 3, and I can now almost drag knee (so f***ing frustrating!). I've also topped her out on some back road straitaways ( day 4). All of this without incident or anything resembling "close call". I don't ride above my comfort level have not yet felt over my head. I'm beginning to grow restless with my baby and now have the opportunity to get an f4i in three weeks so what should I do? I love the 500 but am coveting the look of full fairing and convenience of FI. Oh ya and before I get flamed, I have never ridden with anything less than FULL gear including a back protector and race suit ( it's all been recreational thus far but have jacket and pants). Thank you for your time and responses

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Idk how well you ride but the only thing we have to judge is what you said. One of the things is your age. You're at an age where you'll probably do stupid stuff. If you are responsible with all that gear, good. But just know the 500 and f4i are completely different.

2 weeks really isn't much. But your heart is gunna want what it wants

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Upgrade, after two weeks? :eek: I'll have to say NO!

Granted people of that age demographic rarely follow advice that isn't fun or exciting for them, I'll say you should upgrade to an actual license before you ever contemplate upgrading your bike.

No "close calls" or "incidents"? You haven't ridden until you've come across one, a few, or many. Life teaches through mistakes, if you haven't made any you haven't learned anything.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Upgrade, after two weeks? :eek: I'll have to say NO!
This man knows.

Just because you've ridden dirt doesn't mean that you don't have a lot to learn when it comes to riding on the street, and possibly on the track if you decide to go that route.

Stick with the 500 and learn how to use it to its full potential before you even think of upgrading.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am a similar case to you, I rode dirt bikes a ton growing up and got the opportunity back in march to purchase my first bike. I had always dreamed of getting a super sport like an R6 or something cuz that's what my friends drove. I ended up getting a ninja 650 and have had the opportunity to ride several 1000 miles since then and am glad that I started on this smaller sport bike because I have learned a lot in the few months that I have ridden and have so much more I can learn. Being a young adult you have the "I am invincible attitude" and that need to sometimes want to show off or prove yourself to someone and that's not a good combo with a sportbike. It's a good way to kill someone else, yourself or F*** up your bike. I am a very safe rider as well, I wear my helmet all the time, my coat, ect. but sometimes you get the urge to do something dumb like top out your bike or whatever. Keep riding on the 500 for the rest of the season. Then next year or the year after go for the upgrade. I want to get something bigger eventually too but I know that I shouldn't upgrade yet. If your worried that it's a good deal and you'll never find another, relax. There is always a better one. Trust me, I used to be a impulse buyer. I know. Have fun, ride safe, and do what you want just remember if your in a wheelchair or a coffin it doesn't matter what kinda bike you got because you'll never be on it again.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am also 17 and I chose to ride a 650 instead of a super sport because I have my whole life ahead of me to get a SS and feel that power (plus my dad wasn't super thrilled about the idea). Also insurance for one of those things is outrageous for someone our age. And the 650 is very underrated in terms of power I was surprised at how hard it pulls. You can do what you want just thought I'd let you know what I thought about when it was time for me to upgrade to a faster bike!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
17? IDGAF, you shouldn't even be on a 500. Sorry, too easy to do stupid shit at that age, I damned sure know I did. You seem like a bright kid, stop trying to become a statistic. 250 or GTFO.

Besides, the new 300s are F.I. bikes and full bodywork, get one of those.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Idk how well you ride but the only thing we have to judge is what you said. One of the things is your age. You're at an age where you'll probably do stupid stuff. If you are responsible with all that gear, good. But just know the 500 and f4i are completely different.

2 weeks really isn't much. But your heart is gunna want what it wants
I'm with Glocken on this one. You're gonna do what you want but I think most of us won't recommend you upgrade after such a short time riding. I guess I'm not one to talk since I have a 250 but I'm satisfied with it, especially after riding my brother's liter bike. Do what you want, just don't get it if you know there's a chance you'll be irresponsible and try to top it out on the highway or something.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
1300 miles on a bike is nothing ! at least 10000 miles would be my minimum, I have 35k miles and I still learn shit daily.

Be patient man you don't want to be on a wheel chair for the rest of your long life for not being patient, raiding a bike is a lot more than twisting the throttle and getting from point a to point b , motorcycling throws you curb balls all the time, it is your expirience with surviving these that will allow you to live long and healhty

You plenty of time to learn , honestly if you want to upgrade so fast is probably because you want more power which is the reason NOT to upgrade a bike

·
Registered
941 Posts
Keep the 500 for a while, like at least a few months. Then get insurance quotes for other bikes before you buy one. And take an MSF course if you haven't already. You already have a handle on controlling the motorcycle. What they will teach you is how to avoid being killed by a cager. There are a lot of really stupid and distracted cagers out there. They don't look for motorcycles and consequently they don't see them. One even ran over my old 250 while it was parked.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Keep the 500 for a while, like at least a few months. Then get insurance quotes for other bikes before you buy one. And take an MSF course if you haven't already. You already have a handle on controlling the motorcycle. What they will teach you is how to avoid being killed by a cager. There are a lot of really stupid and distracted cagers out there. They don't look for motorcycles and consequently they don't see them. One even ran over my old 250 while it was parked.
Very little of what they teach you at the MSF will prevent you from getting killed by a cager , experience and hours in the saddle will.

Inhad about 3k miles of expirience when I took the MSF and I was already surprised at how basic the teachings were.

Expirience on a low power bike and gradual increase in power will keep you safer than and weekend curse.

The MSF is good for someone with very little to no expirience <10k miles on a street bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
If your chicken strips are gone on the street, you're doing it wrong - regardless of age.
-Cody

·
Registered
254 Posts
Myself i have a 6r yet i find myself on the wifes 300 more and more lol its a fun bike and very flickable.. u should give one a try id pick the 3 over the 650 anyday

·
Registered
172 Posts
My buddies older cousin if he were around today would say stick with the smaller bike and fine tune your skills first. He was being a hot rod and a older lady pulled out in front of him he hit her went flying and broke his neck and died. They are fun to own and ride but they are not toys. It's too easy to get caught up in the moment and make a mistake or a decision that could effect you forever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts