Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i need some help here. I just recently got a full tune up and valves adjusted on my 02 zx6r. While i was there the guys behind the counter talked me into getting a $50 mod that advances your timing 4 degrees. It is a round plate w/ notches in it, that goes in the cover on the side of the bike that your brake lever is on. It replaces the stock one and i was told something about more power and that's all i needed to hear. Thing is though that after spending nearly $900.00 for new tires (pilot sports),plugs,tune up,valves,oil change,inspection,swap old rims w/ new, replace bearings, and this timing advance thing my bike sounds better, but has lost power off the start. I am having a hell of a time doing wheelies now, and i maxed out at 162mph instead of like 170 i could do before. Anyone have one of these installed? I am looking at putting my old one back in, that or it is the fact that i had the valves adjusted. A friend of mine told me that everytime he ever had a bike tuned up and all it was never the same as before until like a 150 miles later when it got back into things again. Any thoughts and feedback on all this???

Derek
http://www.eastcoastriderz.50megs.com
sorry for long post but had to explain some

·
Registered
322 Posts
How hard was it to put in the advancer? If it's not to tuff, just swap it and let us know how it went. Or...maybe they put it in backwards (if it's possible) and you've ended up with retarded timing.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The advancer will only go on one way so there is no chance it was installed backwards. It does require that you run 93 octane gas. If it is a Factory Pro you can call their 800 tech support number. It is simple to replace, just pull the cover. The advancer is held on by one bolt. You might need to replace the cover gasket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i only run 93 octane in the bike. I didn't really pay much attention as to how to replace it and the dealer did it for me so i don't have the box it came in. I believe though if i take the side cover off than i have to drain the oil. Deal w/ it in the spring time i guess. I am really surprised no one else has installed these though. I looked it up and it claims to give you more low end, yet i didn't get crap. Unless the dealer did it wrong. Thanks for you feedback, i'll post an update when i get it squared away.

Derek
Pennsylvania

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have an ignition advancer in my bike.. 4 degrees from the company Factory. It does increase low end. Your top speed will be affected a little bit because you loose a little off the top end when you advance the ignition. For me I didn't notice the top end loss because I usually ride on backroads and rarely go over 120... Your loss of power may have something to do with your tuneup. I only trust one guy to do the work on my bike because most dealers and shops have one good mechanic and a bunch of unlicensed 20 something year olds making $10 an hour. YOu could very easily have a plug not gapped right or a valve fucked up. I'm definately not taking my advancer off my bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Psyclone,

Thanks for the feedback saying that it should actually increase low end. I am going to swing into the dealer tomorrow to ask them about this and see what they say. I am not really in the mood to bring it back now to get it checked for the problem because it's freakin cold here now. Maybe they can do something in the spring for me. I will post the outcome. By the way, you are right there are alot of 20 something year olds probably making $10 an hour and not knowing that much, i do believe one of them may have worked on my bike.. lol.... For the money i payed though i am extremely pissed off.

Derek

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've never heard any good things about ignition advancing. Let me know how to it works out so I can say I've heard one good thing.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I did the same thing as hvactech77, I brought my ZX6R to my mechanic to get my valves adjusted (I just didn't have time to do it) and he's the only other person I trust to do it that doesn't rape me in the pockets.

While it was in the shop and he had the engine open I had him replace the shims, jets and advance the engine (both Factory kits)

When I picked up the bike I gained a lot at the bottom/middle power band, I was able to tell the difference instantly. I can't tell you much about the top end since I don't ride over 120 / 140 at best.

I suspect his valves may not be properly adjusted. The way the Kawasaki valves sit, they get tighter over time, from the sounds of it they may have adjusted it towards the loose end and maybe just a tad bit too loose. If he was to ride it hard - it will tighten up within a few days.
Dave

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ah yes, motorcycles. Finally something you can ride hard for days and it tightens up.

Oh....like you weren't thinking the same joke!

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.