Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of you that have or had a Ducati, do they wear quickly? any cases of breaking?

it's been about 10 years since i've had a car with timing belt, therefore i'm a little turned off about a timing belt even for a bike.
to me chain seems a lot more durable, less wear since it's submerged in oil constantly.
are my concerns unrealistic? any feedback welcomed

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Timing belts on a ducati are not that big of a concern. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Harleys have belts. The Kevlar belt never requires lubrication or regular maintenance.
They're talking about timing belts, not final drive.

And btw, when the belt on a Harley needs to be replaced, the entire swingarm has to come off. Try getting that fixed on a Sunday ride in the middle of nowhere...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I've had a couple bikes with 50,000+ miles and the timing chain was still well within the service limits.

I've met a few Goldwing riders with high mile bikes (250,000)...they never had a belt break, but had replaced them on schedule.

Today's belts are a continuous kevlar fiber reinforcement....they are very unlikely to break unless they get nicked, but the teeth can still wear down.

Getting at the belt on a Duc doesn't look too bad...but can't say anything beyond that. I guess I wouldn't factor it in on my decision between two bikes.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
take caution with the ducati! wonderful bikes, but the older models will certainly be more maintenance intensive than current. if i'm not mistaken, they said the 1098 and 848 have half the maintenance intervals of the 999 and prior.

they're wonderful bikes, but they will cost quite a bit to take care of. several of their bikes require ducati specific tools, many coming at a high price. skywalker is the man to talk with if you're considering a duc.

personally, i wanted one pretty bad, but the cost of maintaining it scared me away, so i went with a honda rc51. certainly not as advanced, but still an excellent performer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.