Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i went to install an ape cam chain tensioner left it all the way out and i think the timing skipped so i tore it all down tried to adjust the timing where is tdc on the lower part of the cam assembly i set it at the t wondering if its the I and which mark have to be level on the top assembly pictures would be great i put it all together and thing i have it a tooth or so off the idle stalls out when its low and it has some lag i plan on getting a manual but i would like to get this asap im going to daytona friday

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
this what my kawasaki service manual says from 12.5 BTDC @ 1 300 r/min (rpm) to 35 BTDC @ 4 600 r/min (rpm) hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just recently got my ape one too, and i went to install it but it doesnt seem to be quieting down the engine noise at all, if i loosen it , it just keeps ticking, if i tighten it it makes the rpms drop until it stalls... does anyone know how far excatly you are supposed to have it ? or is there a certain trick to doing this the right way...without taking it to a shop:confused:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
From what i understand You put the ape in, u tighten it finger tight and turn the bike on and turn it till the noise goes away. I'm going to have to do the CCT as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have skipped timing you will need to make sure all timing marks align not only your cam gears. You need to align your crank with your cams. Ryda, he was talking about cam timing not ignition timing. I'll check my service manual.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
this what my kawasaki service manual says from 12.5 BTDC @ 1 300 r/min (rpm) to 35 BTDC @ 4 600 r/min (rpm) hope this helps
OMFG

Wow, just wow. Pls stop giving people technical advice. pls.

Set the engine cam timing to the ignition timing is going to turn your exhaust pipe into a giant potato gun. That or you will be the first person in history to get a four stroke to run bachwards.

From what i understand You put the ape in, u tighten it finger tight and turn the bike on and turn it till the noise goes away. I'm going to have to do the CCT as well.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Do not run a bike without a properly tensioned cam chain. The tension must be set BEFORE the bike is started.

P.S. Don't throw your money away on a manual CCT. Just shim your stock one or re-spring it and be done with it.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
OMFG

Set the engine cam timing to the ignition timing is going to turn your exhaust pipe into a giant potato gun. That or you will be the first person in history to get a four stroke to run bachwards.

1st off i thought the guy was talkin about ignition timing, damn my bad but i let you the MECHANIC tell him for me since you seem to know it all

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Let me shine in here a little with both issues lol.

Take the cam chain tensioner, turn it with your finger until you feel it get a little bit harder to turn (this is the the tensioner you feel pushing on the chain to tightin up the slack). Now it will not take much to get the chain tight, maybe a half turn at most when you feel the slack get tighter. Tighten up the lock nut and start her up, rev her up a tiny bit and listen for noise, if you hear a rattle sound then she's not tight enough, if you hear a whine its too tight, you gotta strike a balance between the two that is quiet with no rattle and no whine, a slight tiny whine is ok IMO as long as the whine is very faint to your ear, almost to the point you have to have your hearing set out to listen in on that such sound and pick it out. Horror stories of cam chain's being too loose and causing problems are once again IMO far fetched, I have seen a cam chain tensioner snap on a older 600 ninja and run for 15 sec without any tension on the chain without any damage at all, I have personally run my 636 plenty of times with not enough tension just to hear the fine point of whine and rattle. Heard plenty of 636's with failed OEM SPRING loaded tensioner's that sounded like they were about to blow up but never did and on top of this I have seen how hard it is on this bike to remove the cam chain from the cam sprockets when doing a valve adjustment and this is with the tensioner all the way out of tension.

TDC on the lower end should read 1/4 if I recall. You will have to remove the valve cover to make sure the timing is dead on, each cam sprocket has a dot on it, these two dots have to be exactly dead even with the cylinder head on each cam. I recommend you get the kawi service manual.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
OMFG

1st off i thought the guy was talkin about ignition timing, damn my bad but i let you the MECHANIC tell him for me since you seem to know it all
1st of all, learn how to quote properly.

2nd in the FIRST SENTENCE the O.P. states installing a CAM CHAIN TENSIONER. Why you busted out non-adjustable ignition advance specs boggles the most incredulous minds on this forum.

And please stop utilizing sarcasm to indicate that you know more about powersports equipment than I. It is painfully clear in your wavering statements and asinine posts that your extremely limited understanding of how bikes operate, pales in comparison to my proven, tried and true, technical aptitude. Again please just leave the technical stuff to others before someone actually listens to you and irrevocably damages their bike. KTHNX

O.P. Cam timing procedure:

1) remove tank, airbox, spark plugs, valve cover, ect.

2) remove cam chain tensioner

3) Romove ignition rotor/pick-up cover

With the cams un-capped, remove the cams and support the chain with your hand. Crank the engine clockwise with a 17mm socket until the rotor indicates TDC. (Not sure what that is on a K model but you should see some indication in there). Then set the cams as far out and slightly up on the #1 cylinder. there should be some indicator marks that line up with the machined surface of the head. Once lined up, install the chain, cam cap(s), and tensioner.

Note: when you install the tensioner, use a longer stiffer spring form a sping kit (Harbor Freight or hardware store). You can do this or, shim the original spring with a small dowl or cylindrical object that will fit in the CCT body.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
end this thread everyone is telling me how to put the cct on how to get it to tdc but i was asking for the specific marks nevermind got it the cct was too tight i tightened the screw on the stock one before i turned the bike on so i took it off barely put the screw on started it then tighted it no more tick timing is good figured it out by finding tdc and figured out the cam marks by the lobes runs great done thansk

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Please use punctuation from now on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cam timing

Hey guys, I know this has been covered, but I'm still having a hard time setting my cam timing. 2003 ZX636 FI. This is hat I've done: removed cam chain tensioner, removed cam keeper, set my lower timing mark @ T 1.4, lined up my cam sprocket timing marks with the head, pulled the front chain run-out, reinstalled cams starting with the exhaust cam, and I always end up one tooth off on the cams... Am I using the wrong marks?????? Any info. would be greatly appreicated.. Thaks, Lon

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Hey guys, I know this has been covered, but I'm still having a hard time setting my cam timing. 2003 ZX636 FI. This is hat I've done: removed cam chain tensioner, removed cam keeper, set my lower timing mark @ T 1.4, lined up my cam sprocket timing marks with the head, pulled the front chain run-out, reinstalled cams starting with the exhaust cam, and I always end up one tooth off on the cams... Am I using the wrong marks?????? Any info. would be greatly appreicated.. Thaks, Lon
You've got to make sure you are holding the chain taught between the sprockets while you install the chain tensioner or it will jump 1 tooth every time. A good trick is to use a zip-tie and tie the chain to the EX. sprocket when it's set, then the chain to the IN. sprocket. you can set the CCT and just cut the cable-ties as you turn the motor over to take up the slack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone help me I am having what seems to be the same problem here and im thinking its the cct but how the hell do i get to or locate the cct bolt to adjust it???? heres a vid below of what it sounds like right now its a 2003 Zx6r 636

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone I appreciate all the information here but I've got one question and my own dumbass fault for not taking the pic so anyway I notice on all these pics and vids that there is 1 set of Mark's and I have 2, should I ignore the single I and E and line up the IN and EX?

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts