Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, this is a Kawi 2004 636 ZX6R. I've included some photos and videos.

My clutch cable snapped and I was trying to replace it, when I accidentally removed this (rod?) by pulling it upwards. It inserts into the engine vertically.

I put it back in, but as I try to hook up my clutch cable, I notice that it comes out (up) slightly, leaving a small tiny gap (see arrow).

The picture below without the arrow is when it's fully down (no gap).

I'm pretty sure I didn't lose anything, all the parts are there (washer and spring too), and my bike was working before.

I'm afraid to start my bike until figuring this out, just in case not inserting it properly causes a bigger problem when I start it.

Also, I don't know what gear my bike is in. It is either neutral, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

Pushing this rod down, while simultaneously rotating it inwards (to install the clutch cable) is pretty hard. It wants to pop out. I'm not sure if I should apply more force downwards while trying to hookup the clutch cable.

The "rod" is a "RELEASE-COMP-CLUTCH" according to this web site (see screenshot also attached here) [1] 2004 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R (ZX636-B2) Clutch | Ron Ayers

I don't think that gap is normal. I didn't try starting the bike up, but after I install it, there's literally no tension when I pull the clutch lever. And when I pull out the rod, I start seeing some signs of new fresh abrasion, likely from the few times I tried pushing it down, while rotating it to the clock-wise. I made a video and some close-up photos of the rod:

While moving it in a circular motion either direction, I do not feel anything catching inside.

I heard someone say I should start inserting the rod at a more counter clockwise position, like at 5 or 6 o'clock, but it really won't go in until at around 8 o'clock (see video).

And I think the reason why I can't put the rod in at the 8 o'clock position is because this little piece, circled in pink. I think that's what's blocking it anyway, I'm not entirely sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, I just realized that I must be in neutral, because I can move the bike back and forth a few feet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts