Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some tips? I know that when it 1st starts to rain the oil and junk is washing down so that this is when the road is at its most slippery. But then if it's been raining for hours and lets down a little is it okay to push it a little more?

Drive it like you stole it

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Yeah, it is the slickest when it first starts to rain, and you can push it a little more after it has been steadily raining for a while. But, when I say "push it a little more", I mean go slow from slower.;)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i dont think its worth it driving in the rain or whe the streets are wet. with more obstacles there is also more risk.

Vin:"I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time"
Arturo:Hahahahhaha...Why?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The best tip I can give you about riding in the rain is Metzelers. They stick to the ground like a peanut butter sandwich to the roof of my dog's mouth.

The only other advice I can give you is take your time, go a little slower when taking turns, and try not to do too many one handed wheelies.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Wow BC that's REALLY sticking...

Best tip I can give (and I've been caught out in some terrential downpours, the kind where it's actually BOUNCING up off the road)... SLOW DOWN A LITTLE, AND DON'T DRAG KNEES...

Seriously though, it's really uncomfortable in the pouring rain, but just go easy and keep the bike upright as much as possible. It comes from practice I think, likely why UK riders kick ass in the rain... they ride in the rain all the time...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
174 Posts
I finally decided to start riding in the rain last week. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we do get our share of the wet stuff! I figured, what the hell, it will only get the bike dirty. I have a covered place to park at work, so that makes it nicer, and I have good rain gear too, so it really isn't that bad. The wheels are the only thing that get really dirty, the rest of the bike cleans up pretty quick. The wet headers and radiator really emit a bad smell when they are burning off the water, at first I thought something was burning on my bike, but finally realized it was just the hot parts drying.

As far as safety goes, be carefull at intersections crossing the painted crosswalks, especially when turning, these things are like ice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
When riding in slippery conditions keep it "smooth" no sudden changes in speed or direction and you should Stay Upright.
The tyres will always grip better if the bike is as upright as possible so when cornering in the wet try hanging off the side of the bike a little more to keep it upright!
If its raining when you are getting the bike out instead of saying to yourself "Gee its wet today" try saying "Gee its going to be slippery today" and hold that thought until you get off the bike.
Riding in the rain increases the sensation of speed its awsome do it!!!

Confidence and Ability should not be Confused
ZX636-B1

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
you really dont lose that much traction on a wet road depedning on the tire you run, I heard that baring hydroplaining and oil and crap you have about 80% of your traction when compared to dry conditions.

p.s.

the 207ZR's that come stock on my bike seems to be pretty slick in the rain....I can easily break traction by slowly rolling on the throttle at practically no lean. It's kinda cool powersliding in the rain, but also very scary ;)

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I get caught in the rain (which seems like all the time) I just slow down, increase my following distance and try to ride in the tracks of the cage in front of me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Best advice I can give: smooth, gentle throttle input.

My worst scare yet came when I goosed it a little too hard coming out of a corner getting onto the highway. Kicked the back end out to the left, nearly to full lock. I chopped the throttle (which may not be the best reaction, but it worked in this case) and it came back and swung to the right a bit, then straightened out. Yuck.

----------------------
Dave Lee
Red '02
Open Throttle Sport Riders

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by dav

Best advice I can give: smooth, gentle throttle input.

My worst scare yet came when I goosed it a little too hard coming out of a corner getting onto the highway. Kicked the back end out to the left, nearly to full lock. I chopped the throttle (which may not be the best reaction, but it worked in this case) and it came back and swung to the right a bit, then straightened out. Yuck.

----------------------
Dave Lee
Can you say "Tank Slapper"? Nice save man. I got a little bit squirly pulling out of my neighborhood one night in the wet, and boy does it sure suprise you!

·
Registered
316 Posts
That is one helluva pic! So many choices for a background! (Squirt, Squirt!) I feel better. Thank you DJ!

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.