Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp I had a major scare this afternoon! I was driving on a busy road around my house with wet conditions and while on a 45mph turn my tire blew.... It was a small blowout but the bike felt like I was driving in an oilspill how loose the backwheel was due to no air... just kept sliding this and that way.

Luckily the girlie behind me saw it happen and slowed down and she turned her hazards on and blocked traffic as I was able to get to the side of the road. Cute girl too (sorry no pics of her...)! My rear tire was wasted...

Good news is the reason I was riding in the wet conditions was that I was going to get my pilot powers installed... had the bike towed (no friends with pickup trucks.. damn SUV owners of my area) for $25 bucks and got my new tires installed....

More bad news? Welp the shop noticed that my front rim was bent (we think it was due to the fall the bike had when some kids pushed it over and the rim landed on the curb.... the reason I never noticed a shake we think was due to the tire wore down and compensated for it.... so I feel it now with the new tires....

Lessons learned? If you ever have a blow-out or any emergency just stay calm and collective and don't panic.... When I got to the side of the road and checked it out I realized how lucky I was that some idiot was not behind me.

·
Registered
560 Posts
glad you didnt go down. ive had the rear wash around on me some in the rain(no flat tire) and its pretty scary. good for you staying calm and keeping it up. alot of people wouldve paniced and dumped it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One word "Yikes", glad you had the prescence of mind to get yourself out a situation.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
You could have easily gone down. You're lucky, but you also stayed calm which I think helped the most.

·
Registered
605 Posts
great job on keeping it up. When I had my blow out at 90 it scared the crap out of me, but I was going straight on dry roads. I can't imagine what would have been like on a curve and wet

·
Registered
353 Posts
Last weekend my rear tire blew out. It really made me wake up to how easily I could have died if I was going fast. Luckily I was only doing around 40mph and was able to stop! Lesson learned was to check my tires before every ride!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by senfo
Tire blow sounds scary, period. How worn was your tire?
The threads started to show and I THINK it also had a minor leak (so probally had bad tire pressure). I haven't been riding it because I was saving the rear tire for the ride to the shop... I think that kinda convinced the wifey to let me go get a pickup ;)

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Amen to staying calm and collective! I could have been killed when my drain plug vibrated loose after I had my oil changed at a local shop.. Was doing about 45mph in a turn when all the sudden my rear tire came out from underneath me and I was literally drifting with the back tire kicked out sideways and me correcting it continuing in a relatively straight path maintaining my course on the road. Never had anything like that happen, but boy were those turns scary to get where I needed to go to pull over (my house.. I was maybe 1/8th mile away from my house, and I thought I had a little bit of chain lube on the tire or something and that's why it was so slick. I hop off the bike to see what was up and see the bike just dripping oil and the oil is smoking from touching hot mechanical parts.. rear tire dripping oil and absolutely soaked with it, etc.... scariest thing ever!

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Glad it went ok, Dal... so tell me; did you hook up w/ the chickie?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hate to point this out, but to all you new riders, you're supposed to change the tire BEFORE the cords start showing through the rubber. In fact, you should change the tire once the tire wear indicators are flush with the tread.

BC.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bladecutter is correct. Tires should be changed soon as the wear indicators match up with whats left of your tread... if you see your cords you need to get it changed asap. And take some advice from me don't RIDE the bike to the shop to get the tire changed if you can avoid it... my cords just started showing; but do to money and all the bike sat for awhile until I purchased my tires. Basically trying to save it for the 20 mile ride to the shop..... New kawi rule should be at least ONE of your friends should have a loaner pick-up truck for you to borrow ;)

And no I didn't hook up with the chicki... damn wedding ring was on [}:)]

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good save!

Years ago(20+)was trashin a Yosh built smallblock Kaw and the rear blew at "stupid fast"......don't ask me where the sense came from,but slammed on fr binders for everything the bike would take.When the rr set down it was with basically,rim on the ground.

Two years ago,did a major wreck rebuild on a "totaled",BMW R11S.The fr tyre cut a sidewall at full lean on a nasty shard of glass.Bike/rider slammed instantly to pavement on this slight uphill armco lined tighty.Rider was seriously fucked up in wreck.Fixed the bike,rider is still trashin twistys with it.

Put this in the believe it or not category,don't care.I've had tyres so stinkin hot that little tiny gravels have not only made holes/flats,but would still be in tyre when changin.This is why you need to be careful once you hit the wearbars.Stick pretty close to home once they get down that far.Best of luck,BW

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Donkey
Nice work,

What are you going to do about the wheel??
Well the tires of course were replaced that day and I rode home on the bike (talk about a slow ride/break-in period). The wheel/rim I'm shopping around for one on the forums... I also need to replace the front rotor as well... so if you know of anyone who likes to give away freebies [8D]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.