Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tires seem to go down 4-5psi every week (in both tires) is this normal? Idk why it would be? Ive checked for any signs of a leak, cant find any, gunna take it to a friend that works at a tire shop but thought id ask here.. Gunna go see him friday but anything i can do until then?

Seems like 3 weeks ago this happened, and again this week.. Never happened before.. Tires only have 2500miles on them.. Looked em over a few times and cant find any punctures

·
Registered
941 Posts
I go months between having to add any air to mine.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,548 Posts
My tires seem to go down 4-5psi every week (in both tires) is this normal? Idk why it would be? Ive checked for any signs of a leak, cant find any, gunna take it to a friend that works at a tire shop but thought id ask here.. Gunna go see him friday but anything i can do until then?

Seems like 3 weeks ago this happened, and again this week.. Never happened before.. Tires only have 2500miles on them.. Looked em over a few times and cant find any punctures

If they are both going down by roughly the same amounts, I'd chalk it up to changes in air temperature. Unless you see some drastic changes I wouldn't worry about it but do keep an eye on it. I check mine before each ride when the tires are cold and inflate as necessary.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gotta start checking before each ride.. I know im suppose to but i try n atleast check every week or every other week at the least.. Ill keep an eye on it.. Atleast it wont cost me to have it checked by a friend.. Worst case scenario is i still dont have an answer..

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sometimes they leak around the rim or from the stem. These may be the cause of the problem if you don't see any punctures. Could also be a very small pin hole leak that you wouldn't see unless you dunk the tire in water. Easy way to check is to put soapy water in a spray bottle and spray down the tire. If you see bubbles you found the leak

Like someone said above tho, if you're getting big temperature fluctuations then the tire could being losing some pressure just from the temp. Usually on the beginning of the winter my tire sensor in my car will go off when we get a real cold day. My car is garaged at home but out in the elements at work so the pressure will drop a few psi.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
626 Posts
i might have to put air in mine every 2 weeks or so. just depends on temps and whatnot. i check mine before every ride just in case...its a good way to know if you do have something wrong. one day a tire is at 35 psi, the next at 20...somethings wrong. but a one or two psi difference isnt something to worry about IMO.

i have noticed that bike tires are much more sensitive than a car to temperature changes though, simply because the volume is much less, so there is a more radical change compared to a car.

also, you might check your valve stems and make sure theyre tightened up. if the valve is slightly loose that might cause you to have a slow leak, which when the tires are hot and the pressure rises causes more air to leak out. just a thought.

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's not normal. you might have a bead leak.

Get it checked out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a leak in the valve stem on 1.. And the other is perfectly fine.. I took it off n they checked it and cant find anything wrong.. I just had to replace the stem n the rear tire is ok.. Not sure about the front ima just be careful n check it before every ride n see how it goes

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,548 Posts
It was a leak in the valve stem on 1.. And the other is perfectly fine.. I took it off n they checked it and cant find anything wrong.. I just had to replace the stem n the rear tire is ok.. Not sure about the front ima just be careful n check it before every ride n see how it goes

In your original post I thought 4-5 pounds every week was a bit much but since you said it was both tires I thought maybe you have some bigger temperature swings where you live. Glad you got the rear fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts