Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What pressures are you all running for serious canyon carving.
I was running 34F 36R....this weekend my tires were sliding quite a bit & I'm almost positive they were over heating & getting greasy. If I waited a few miles when traffic was present, they would stop sliding...when pace picked again...things got slippery.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i would think the hotter they get the stickier they would get. only heard about that problme you have with cold tires. what kind are you running?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use 31 front and 33 rear (measured when the tire is cold) on my OEM Dunlop D207s. Never got cooked, never had a slide. Finally replaced my front after more than 8000 kilometers.

The manual provides pressures for maximum load (two-up with luggage or something), so running those pressures may be unnecessarily harsh.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Ambient temperature is a factor too.

At the track i use psi 28-29R and 29F if it isn't hotter than 70Fahrenheit/20Celsius.

But as I recently learned, if the temperature is 85F/30C then you should increase pressure by 3psi or more or your tires will melt and slide very fast. Also after 20min or so they will be slippery anyway if it's hot out. So at 30C/85F I'd use 2.2bar/32psi front&rear and at 40C/104F I'd be in an air condition store or at work[8D]. I use 36/42 for the street but I don't go fast there anymore.

Now I personally would never use pressures this low for the street, there's no way they would work.
http://forum.zx6r.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8229 <----my tires
My point was simply about the ambient temperature having an effect.

Poch: 31 front seems low for the street, how long do you have to ride before it's warmed up, before it feels good?

·
Registered
271 Posts
2-3 kms., and I'm rolling fine. Now that I've switched to Bridgestones tho, I'm using 33 up front and they're just as grippy as the Dunlops at lower pressure.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you all ever seen track tires where they get so hot the rubber balls up on the sides. Well when you ride the mountains your tires always get those rubber balls if you are "really riding".
My front tire has blue streaks on them indicating to me that it was overheating.
I'd say it was 80F that day & 90% humidity. It is however about 5 degrees cooler in the mountains on most days.
I'm running OEM BT012 & BT019.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I run 36/42 as well. Never had any issues with sliding. The ride is alittle more harsh, but I"m cheap and I cant afford to be buying tires all the time, so I run higher pressures to extend the tire life....

I got 6000 miles out of my OEM 207's which is pretty damned good.

Also I find street tires like the BT020 tend to stick just as well as some of the race tires becasue they are designed to ofter good traction without needing to be heated up as much as the street race tires.

I really doubt you will have any issues on the street with any tire pressure you run assumming you dont treat the street like a track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.