Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It came up with my riding buddies this weekend again. When I stated I was using 36 and 42 for some aggressive twisty street riding I got scolded by them. None of them could convince me I was wrong. If I am I'll go with it but why am I? I've seen many tire release articles where journalists are on the track lapping successfully with recommended pressures. Why does everyone recommend lower pressures which are just above track day pressures. I understand the idea of a bigger contact patch but is that necessary on the street? Are we not just wearing out tires faster than necessary? In a magazine article in one of the cycle mags is states you can go a pound lower on the street but no more! I'm not hitting gp 65° lean angles obviously but I am riding aggressively in some incredible turns. Can I not do this safely on stock settings? Am I just not understanding something? I love not wasting money.
Sorry its repetitive but don't want new riders throwing away money if its unnecessary. Am I wrong?
Thanks,
Happy6

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Racers are often somewhere around 30 pounds of tire pressure for the maximum cornering traction.

Street riders often have about 36 to 40 pounds of pressure so that the tires last longer.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Pressure depends on tire...

I don't care what kind of tire it is, pressures in the 40's would make me crash. You must be riding a slow pace to not be sliding the bike with over 40psi in there.

My Dunlop race tires are 32f/23r HOT, which translates even lower when cold.

For street use I would use the recommended pressure that the specific tire manufacturer has for that model tire.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
445 Posts
I remember forgetting I had flipped a rear tire and didn't set the tire pressure. I went out and led a Round Robin for a school I instruct for and even at an extreme novice pace I was sliding the rear. When I came in and checked I was at about 45psi.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
OP run the pressure you feel confident with. Your friends think aggressive riding automatically means you need to drop tire pressure because it's what they've read racers do. Racers, not friggin jaunts down a back road where you don't need it. Tell your friends to do whatever they want and you'll do the same.

·
Registered
684 Posts
tire pressures are intensely personal.

street (commuting twisties) I'm 33/36. I wouldn't go below 35 psi cold. but that's me.

track, depending on how hot a day it is, 30/30, or there abouts. if you like 36/42, then good for you.

more contact patch does = more grip. whether you are riding a straight line or draggin' a knee in the twisties.

You should try it, on a familiar road, see what you think, of the lower tire pressures.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Elevation has an affect on tire pressure too. Personally in the canyons I run 34/36 then at the track 30/28 or 28/28. I crashed doing 30/30 on the track so no more of that lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ideally you are looking for about a 10% increase from cold to hot. Check your tires before you ride, then as soon as you get back from your normal ride. For instance I use 32f/33r (rosso corsas) for my local twisties. When I get back I'm usually at 35/37. On the track, I use 28/28 cold and no more than 32 hot. And that advice was given to me by the northwest Pirelli dealer who is at most track days in Oregon and Washington.
If your tires aren't heating up to the 10% increase, they're over inflated. But really, do what feels most confident. 36/42 is MAX pressure according to most manuals.

·
Pursebully
37,780 Posts
Ideally you are looking for about a 10% increase from cold to hot. Check your tires before you ride, then as soon as you get back from your normal ride. For instance I use 32f/33r (rosso corsas) for my local twisties. When I get back I'm usually at 35/37. On the track, I use 28/28 cold and no more than 32 hot. And that advice was given to me by the northwest Pirelli dealer who is at most track days in Oregon and Washington.
If your tires aren't heating up to the 10% increase, they're over inflated. But really, do what feels most confident. 36/42 is MAX pressure according to most manuals.
This.

Tire pressures directly affect carcass temperatures which in turn affect grip. Lower pressures allow the tire to get hotter...but you don't want it to get too hot. A tire that is too hot will have less grip.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It came up with my riding buddies this weekend again. When I stated I was using 36 and 42 for some aggressive twisty street riding I got scolded by them. None of them could convince me I was wrong. If I am I'll go with it but why am I? I've seen many tire release articles where journalists are on the track lapping successfully with recommended pressures. Why does everyone recommend lower pressures which are just above track day pressures. I understand the idea of a bigger contact patch but is that necessary on the street? Are we not just wearing out tires faster than necessary? In a magazine article in one of the cycle mags is states you can go a pound lower on the street but no more! I'm not hitting gp 65° lean angles obviously but I am riding aggressively in some incredible turns. Can I not do this safely on stock settings? Am I just not understanding something? I love not wasting money.
Sorry its repetitive but don't want new riders throwing away money if its unnecessary. Am I wrong?
Thanks,
Happy6
The way I understand it, 36 and 42 are NOT the stock nor recommended pressures. Those are usually the MAXIMUM pressures listed for those tires under the maximum load they are rated for. The higher pressures are used when the bike is loaded down with a lot more weight (e.g. riding two up, or carrying a lot of luggage). If you run those pressures without all the added weight, you will get less traction.

The actual recommended pressures will depend on which tire model you are running as well, and you should be able to get that information from the manufacturer or distributor/dealer in your area. What tires are you currently running?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Im running Q2s at the moment and I run 30f/29r at the track and 32/32 on the street.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Im running Q2s at the moment and I run 30f/29r at the track and 32/32 on the street.
I am running Q2's as well, and I use 30/30 on the track and 31/31 on the street.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Below is a video about tire pressure, but it is street oriented- generally people run pressures a little lower on the track:
-
-
-
-

·
Registered
684 Posts
You won't feel much of a difference at 34/38, but it's a start.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I got my recommendation for the pressures I run from the manufacturer and from Dave Moss.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts